Author Topic: Rebuilding Ford Shifter for Toploader  (Read 1217 times)

Diogenes

• View Profile
Rebuilding Ford Shifter for Toploader
« on: February 27, 2021, 06:32:09 PM »
Does anyone have experience rebuilding the Ford shifter for a toploader? I purchased the pieces, but am thinking of replacing the rubber bushing/grommets with something more substantial like bronze.

A friend and I were speculating that the reported problems with the Ford shifter may be related to these rubbers causing the shifter to shift sloppy when worn, causing gear selection hangups. More speculation was Ford used these to isolate the shifter to insulate from vibration--at the cost of functionality and reliability. Does anyone have thoughts and experiences to share?

Of course I'd love to replace the Ford shifter with a Hurst piece, but the p/n's for a 66 Galaxie with console have been obsolete for a long time, and I've not been able to locate one.
WHEN CRIMINALS MAKE THE LAWS, OBEYING THE LAW IS A CRIME.

1966 Galaxie 500 390 Toploader 3.89 Traction-Lock 9in.
1985 Toyota Celica Supra
1971 Montego MX wagon 351C Toploader Detroit Locker Cyclone competition gauge/dash bucket seats/console
1989 Texas DPS Police Mustang
1971 Torino GT 351C 4V AT
1968 Cougar 351W Toploader Traction-Lock 8in.
1989 Dodge Omni modified 2.5 turbo from hell

CDXXVII

• View Profile
Re: Rebuilding Ford Shifter for Toploader
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 10:37:02 AM »
I used socket head shoulder bolts and bronze bushings with inside dia sized to the bolts.
The 1" cross pin and oval pin are common with the Ford 3 speed shifter. I replaced those with lightly used pieces that were better than my originals.
It's not perfect but a big improvement.
1965 Galaxie bench seat shifter.

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 04:49:29 PM »
almost all the slop comes from the pin in the swivel for the neutral gate and the pin that goes thru the three ears in the main body. the horseshoe looking swivel gets egged out as do the ears as opposed to pin wear.  The pins are an interference fit so you have to be exact when drilling them to an over size.  There are some guys out there that rebuild them. Rather than aggravate myself I just went to a Hurst. It's a deal where a little play here and there adds up to a lot of shifter handle movement.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

CDXXVII

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 07:44:05 PM »
Oh right, I replaced the horseshoe also. They are available repro. If you are looking thru used junk make sure the bolt spacing matches your original. In 1968 Ford increased the spacing so those horseshoes won't fit your 1966 shift lever.