Author Topic: Need cam info  (Read 6388 times)

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: Need cam info
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2017, 09:39:29 AM »
Bruce, any other specs on that cam?  Also, where did you get those numbers?  Is it possible that those were the way a guy installed it, or are those what is on the box?

Looking for advertised duration, should be in the 300's, likely 324.  The reason I ask is that the cam is a bit unique when you look at the valve events on the bottom of your sheet, everything else matches my numbers, but it looks like it has advance ground into it.

The numbers show a 113.5 lobe centerline, but it really should say lobe separation (how far the lobes are spread from each other), and the intake centerline (how far the cam is advanced) calculates to 102 ICL.  That is not bad in any way, matter of fact it is good, but because the ICL value doesn't seem to match a stock Ford cam, I am wondering if that was the way a builder degreed it and wrote it down, or how the cam was ground

That being said, IF those numbers on the bottom are the way you install it, and IF the adv duration is 324 (as I expect it is), that cam will have a rowdy sounding idle (just like a rowdy 427 in the day), but you will need approx 11:1 compression to be happy with it on the street

However, I would not attempt to run hydraulic lifters, I would buy a set of roller rockers, or stock style adjustables with lock nuts.  You'll get more tuning ability with lash, solid lifters will RPM better, and you don't have to worry about odd behavior combining a solid lifter lash ramp without lash.

In the end though, unless we resolve the advertised duration, and even if we do, the cam should be checked that it is what it is supposed to be and degreed in the block to be put at a centerline that matches the use and how you set up the engine
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Bruce R.

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2017, 02:46:59 PM »
Cool Bruce, you still live in the Phoenix area, or did you have enough of the heat.
Nope, left Tempe after 2yrs. Went to Bullhead City for awhile, then to New Orleans. Back in Pa. last 20 yrs. Still miss tubing down the Verde and partying at Coons Bluff.
B.W.R.

Bruce R.

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2017, 03:09:47 PM »
I'm having trouble posting replies, don't know what is wrong. Those numbers came from a manufacturer spec sheet in the box with the cam. I gave the cam back to my buddy and bought a Crane cam & lifters, 260-2 grind. Tow package cam , not stock but not too wild either.
B.W.R.

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2017, 06:51:34 PM »
A lot of cams in the old days used the 1.76 hyd or soild  most did not look at the fine print to see what it said.