Author Topic: 62 Galaxie - Brought It Home  (Read 3918 times)

mbrunson427

• View Profile
62 Galaxie - Brought It Home
« on: July 24, 2017, 12:19:20 PM »
I've been waiting a few years to pull this car out of the storage shed. I've finally navigated my way through enough of the projects that I had in front of me that I figured it was reasonable to bring this one home and start toying with it. I bought this car from my uncle, I knew it was pretty straight and well cared for by the previous owner, but after cleaning it up Saturday I called my uncle and told him that I probably owe him some more cash. The body is far nicer than I ever expected.

Engine has 106k miles on it, never been pulled apart. I was told that when my two uncles parked it 22 years ago that it smoked like a freight train. By next spring I'll have that handled and if everything goes right I'll have it on the road for next summer.

Plan: 390 with 428 crank, COAE-D heads with cobra jet valves, 3x2 intake, 406 style exhaust manifolds. I've collected all these parts already, just need the valvetrain and pistons and I should be ready to stick a motor together. For now I'm going to keep the original T-10 transmission. In the future I'll change out to a TKO600.

Here's pictures from the shed (the condition that I've always seen it in).

Took it to the shop and washed for about an hour

Got it unloaded at my place.

My girlfriend started seeing some results from me waxing so she shoved me aside and told me to go vacuum it and she'd do the waxing. I'll post up more pictures when I get the whole car cleaned up.

Found this in the glove box when I was booted from waxing. This car was purchased from the original owner by my uncle back in 1995. I don't think my uncle did much digging into stuff, just parked it away for a later date. Still had the original owners manual in it with notes from the dealership and some of the original owners service notes. Really cool. The car was purchased from a dealership that I work about 2 miles from. Has the "Sill-TerHar Ford" emblem on the back still.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 06:48:59 PM by mbrunson427 »
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

BruceS

• View Profile
Re: 62 Galaxie - Brought It Home
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 12:59:43 PM »
What a jewel!  Got any engine shots?  Btw your girlfriend is a keeper!

Bruce
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 02:04:38 PM »
X2 on the keeper and wow what a difference after the wash.
She really is a jewel.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 06:52:33 PM »
What a jewel!  Got any engine shots?  Btw your girlfriend is a keeper!

Bruce

Took some last night. From the research I've done, I believe this is an "early 62" Thunderbird motor. Later in 62 they started installing gold valve covers?

Here's how the hood cleaned up...... Fenders and doors tonight is what I'm thinking.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 07:02:13 PM »
Wow, oh wow! Why the heck did you let it sit so long? Man, you should be horsewhipped!

Great car indeed.

BTW, what level of cash bribe did it take for your gal to do the work? Or maybe pearls, a dress, shoes, a bottle of Jack? LOL
Bob Maag

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 07:26:41 PM »
As far as I've been able to quickly research, silver (argent) was used on the valve covers and air cleaner for the 390 4V in '62.  The 406's had gold covers in '62.  The 390 4V got the gold in '63.  However, cars that were assembled close to a changeover early or late in the model year could have been equipped with parts from the prior or next model year.  For example, my Galaxie was assembled in mid-July '63; it has a seat cloth pattern that was used and listed for the 64's. 
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 08:11:26 PM »
How cool is that!!   Looks like a great car  ;D ;D
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 10:28:05 PM »
Dude homerun congrats

country63sedan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 07:16:11 AM »
Dang that's nice. Where are you at to have no rust? Beautiful car. Later, Travis

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 01:19:23 PM »
Great looking car and the chestnut is just right!  Is that a past repaint or did it just buff up that well?  Those dog dishes with the whitewalls are a great look for it too.  Ya gotta love it when something cleans up that nice, 'specially when you get to watch some of the work get done  :)
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 06:47:14 PM »
Great looking car and the chestnut is just right!  Is that a past repaint or did it just buff up that well?  Those dog dishes with the whitewalls are a great look for it too.  Ya gotta love it when something cleans up that nice, 'specially when you get to watch some of the work get done  :)
I appreciate it! The car has original paint. Only thing that I've found as I've been going through it is the passenger front fender looks like its had a touchup, but it must have been a long time ago because the paint completely matches. My dad suggested that it may have even been a factory blemish that they touched up. I only noticed it because the fender ornament had some overspray.

Dang that's nice. Where are you at to have no rust? Beautiful car. Later, Travis
I live in Colorado. We have no air to make power with, but at least the cars don't rust up.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 05:48:43 AM »
Wow, original paint? That's pretty impressive! No way would I restore that car, it's perfect as it is.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 10:28:06 AM »
the barn find people will be pissed that you washed all that original dirt off of it.  Always loved that color. Nice car.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner