Author Topic: Has anyone used an MSD ready to run distributor with a CD box?  (Read 1432 times)

My427stang

• View Profile
Understand they are compatible with a 6AL, but wondering two things

1 - Any issues you didn't like?
2 - Any reliability or quality issues?  Feedback across the web isn't great for the ready to run distributors, but wondering if maybe they were voltage issues that will not matter with the 6AL added

My backup plan for a stout 461 I am doing is a Pertronix billet because we want a vac advance and a fancy looking distributor.  (Been a while since I have done a non-concours look, sort of weird LOL)

Thanks
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

BruceS

• View Profile
Re: Has anyone used an MSD ready to run distributor with a CD box?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 09:00:40 AM »
Ross, Blair installed an RTR on the 482 for my Galaxie and I'm firing it with a 6A box mounted in the engine compartment.  Wiring it was a bit more complex than using a pro-billet dist., but fully covered in MSD's wiring options in the paperwork that came with the 6A.  Per MSD, I'm firing my tach with the tach wire from the 6A.  No reliability issues in the past year I've had the car running, including the high underhood temps we get here in SE Tx with our hot humid summers!  Bruce
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 12:02:23 PM »
Thanks! 
Ross
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 05:38:18 PM »
Ross, if I can prevent even one person from going through what I did with an MSD RTR distributor I will be a happy man.

Long story - ordered it from Barry R, who set it up with the right gear for the cam he provided. I installed it with a 6 AL box, and fired the engine. It ran for about 12 minutes, then failed. I followed the diagnostic process and MSD told me to send it back.

I did, and here is where it starts to get weird. The problem is not just that the distributor failed, but MSD seemed to suddenly turn into the saddest collection of idiots ever born. Weeks went by and I finally got one of their guys on the phone and he told me the distributor had failed, but they couldn't fix it or send me a new one because they had no parts or replacements, and the shaft in mine had been drilled and couldn't be re-used.

This back and forth took weeks, all the while I was running my old Ford distributor that changed the timing every time I started it. After much arguing about what they were going to do, suddenly they told me there was nothing wrong with it and they sent it back.

I installed it and it ran for 8 minutes before it failed. I called them again and they said they had done all they could (which was really just tell me a bunch of nonsense and then ship it back) and that I should return it to the seller. I asked if they gave return authorizations for failed products and they said they didn't.

I did return it to Barry (although I never did get a refund) and I bought a later Duraspark style one from Faron. It has run without issue for 3 years. I know it is a Chinese knock off, but Faron does seem to be able to make sure they are good before he ships them.

I don't know what is worse, spending the money and getting nothing or being forced to deal with complete idiots. Remember, they couldn't fix it because they had no parts, and they couldn't replace it or take the parts out of a new one because they had no inventory.
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 08:54:35 PM »
Hi Ross,
I run a 6AL-2 with an RTR. I only have it in the car for the rev limiter options. Otherwise it would be on the shelf. Years ago I thought I needed it, I don’t. 

The RTR seem to be hit or miss. I had to phase my rotor which to me is a joke for a $400.00 distributor. JMHO

JB

JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 07:35:15 AM »
Thanks guys, we'll likely go with something else on this one.  All of the reviews on different retailers frowned on the RTR, but it's hard to know who commented and why. 

I really didn't like the idea of stacking rev limiters with the 6AL anyway.  Appreciate it
Ross

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 06:30:29 PM »
Funny timing to see this. I just came inside to cool off after the past couple hours of struggle with a friends Mustang convertible. It has the Crane conversion which is pretty much like the Pertronix and way too small a heat sink in my opinion. So we drove around the neighborhood trying to diagnose bumping and clunking (pinion yoke hits the floorpan) and then found him some thick helper leafs in my shed to add to his springs. He goes to leave and it won't start. runs the battery down... hook up jumper cables... nope, check that it is firing, and i get a spark. I try gas down the carb and it almost starts only when i dumped too much by accident. Hmmm, that might be a real weak spark. Seems that thing sense off the points cam lobes. I cleaned that with acetone then soaked the distributor body with a wet rag and it fires right up.

So now he is getting a Duraspark distributor and box.... the only ignition system anyone needs to consider.