Author Topic: Rate the Tunnelwedge  (Read 3725 times)

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Re: Rate the Tunnelwedge
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2020, 10:14:37 AM »
Seems to me you’d want to run 1:1 carbs if restricting that crossover.

I very much enjoy progressive linkage, more likely to cruise on a booster vs cruising on idle circuit.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2020, 10:34:38 AM »
Seems to me you’d want to run 1:1 carbs if restricting that crossover.

I very much enjoy progressive linkage, more likely to cruise on a booster vs cruising on idle circuit.

Good point, but I do think the Ford is restricted already if comparing to a Dove of BBM.  You bring up a good point though, you can't separate them, even if firing order supported it, not without going 1:1
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2020, 03:27:17 PM »
I like tunnel wedge intakes.  The only time I don't like them is mildly cammed, lower rpm combos.  Several years ago, I had some engines that were all the same, except for the manifold.  We had a Dove tunnel wedge, a Performer RPM, and a MR dual plane.  I don't have time to dig up the actual data, but the tunnel wedge caught up at around 5000 rpm, and destroyed the others past that.  It was not a dog at 3000, and was close to the others before it took over.  If you want a mild 5000 rpm engine, it is not the right piece.  If you plan to turn it, or if it is a big engine, it is a great manifold.  I've heard others cry that the BBM intake is too big, but I have had great results from it.  It has more taper in the runners, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.  If you want to pull a trailer, don't use a tunnel wedge.  If you want to make some power, go with it.  The Ford, Dove, and BBM are all good manifolds.  The design was way ahead of it's time.  I worked with BBM to make some provisions in his manifold for raising the ports.  There is more material for porting in the BBM, if you have an engine that can benefit from porting.

As Ross said, you can do some things with camshaft to put a little low-end manners in, if needed.  I use a bunch of tunnel wedges.  I have one engine, a 522 inch, 15:1 c/r piece that made 965 hp with a heavily modified tunnel wedge.  I also have several running around with 600+  streetable hp, with good manners.  It just depends on your goals.  I would say that in any case where a single plane intake is warranted, you won't lose power with a tunnel wedge, compared to any other single plane cast manifold, as long as it is larger than 400 inches, and provided you have a very good set of carbs, tuned for the task.  Often, the tunnel wedge gets blamed when the problem is carb and spacer related.

I have used what I call a "dull" pyramid in some manifolds that have volume or flow directional issues.  A pyramid in the floor with a rounded top and rolled corners seems to work better for me than a turtle shell shape. You don't want sharp edges in a plenum.  The air speed is not fast enough for sharp edges to work.  With anything less than sonic air speed conditions, rolled edges and radiused corners should be the goal.  I have never closed up the tunnel wedge.  If I get the idea in my head that it is too big, I see if it likes having a super sucker cut down so the transition is inside the plenum, rather than above it.  In a few cases, I use the modified transition spacers.  If it doesn't respond to that, it probably isn't too big.  Carb venturi size can also bring bottom end to otherwise "big" intake tracts.  A 1-5/16 venturi with a 1-11/16 throttle blade can make a two carb vac secondary combo a real winner on engines that aren't demanding more carb. 

Just adding my 2 cents worth.........
Blair Patrick

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2020, 04:42:01 PM »
Worth a lot more than 2 cents in my opinion
Woody

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2020, 01:07:20 AM »
Tunnel Wedge fan here..  I wanted one when I was 18 years old and saw them in magazines. Being dumb, didn't realize I could have bought one through my local Ford dealership. I have a Dove on my 428 and a BBM for another build and am waiting for the Trick Flow version (like forever) to see if it would be an improvement on my 390 over the BT 2x4. Seems to me the Dove or BBM would be too much for the small cube.