Author Topic: C6 fluid restriction  (Read 578 times)

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
C6 fluid restriction
« on: May 08, 2024, 01:53:40 PM »
So I put one of those B&M deep pans on, about the only one that would clear the cross member. Fits good and well made. It came with a filter extension which uses some weird filter held on with machine screws. I don't like the looks of it flow wise. The feed hole is about 5/8" with goes to a 1/2" tube. Looks like it could be a restriction to me. Trans seems to shift fine and maybe i'm imagining things but seems like i can hear a slight squeal when really getting on it, like starving the pump.

Just wondering if anyone has any horror stories with these aftermarket filter setups or if i'm being paranoid. Next time that pans off tho I will replace with a 4x4 filter and custom stand pipe..

Jb427

• View Profile
Re: C6 fluid restriction
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2024, 03:37:21 PM »
I have not changed my filter yet but I am just going to go with a 4x4 filter touch wood I have not had any problems yet with my c6 but its due for a full oil change

galaxiex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2024, 02:41:51 PM »
So I put one of those B&M deep pans on, about the only one that would clear the cross member. Fits good and well made. It came with a filter extension which uses some weird filter held on with machine screws. I don't like the looks of it flow wise. The feed hole is about 5/8" with goes to a 1/2" tube. Looks like it could be a restriction to me. Trans seems to shift fine and maybe i'm imagining things but seems like i can hear a slight squeal when really getting on it, like starving the pump.

Just wondering if anyone has any horror stories with these aftermarket filter setups or if i'm being paranoid. Next time that pans off tho I will replace with a 4x4 filter and custom stand pipe..

That sounds like the Mopar filter and adapter that is sometimes used on Ford transmissions.

Is the filter a metal mesh screen type? Or a fiber Dacron filter?
They make both.

I've had trouble with the Dacron Mopar filter on a C6 before.
Too restrictive and sometimes causes a pump whine.

Best to stick with an OEM Ford type filter.
Every 20 minute job is 1 broken bolt away from becoming a 3 day ordeal.

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2024, 10:34:23 AM »
I believe this to be the Mopar filter, cloth or dacron material.

Suspicions confirmed, dropped the pan and found the filter was almost pulled into the supply tube to the point it was about to tear away. Forgot to take a picture but it was bad. As mentioned previously went with a 4x4 style filter and a custom stand pipe. The pan has large ribs on the inside so the stand pipe was left flat on the bottom and rests right on one of them. Test drive late last night, no more whine. Why would they use this filter setup if it doesn't work? how many transmissions have been burned up because of this?!

galaxiex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2024, 11:01:11 AM »
"In theory" the Dacron filter is "better" because the finer filter media catches more debris.

"All" transmissions create debris just in normal operation.

Ford valve bodies and governors are not very tolerant to fine debris and tend to stick the valves.

That said, the Ford engineers obviously knew what they were doing when they specified a metal mesh filter.
The C6 pump is not particularly high volume,
but is does need the flow capability of a screen filter, rather than the Dacron or other paper type media.

Restricted pump intake is more of a concern for pump damage to occur, not so much for the rest of the trans burning up.

You don't want the pump to work so hard to pull oil from the pan, and potentially "run dry" as damage *will* happen.
Every 20 minute job is 1 broken bolt away from becoming a 3 day ordeal.