Author Topic: Best FE Heads And Why ?  (Read 8266 times)

amdscooter

• View Profile
Re: Best FE Heads And Why ?
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2021, 01:31:54 AM »

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2021, 02:15:28 AM »
Promaxx is making FE heads now too.

https://promaxxperformance.com/product/maxx-170-ford-fe/

Promaxx is not regarded as a quality head by any pro builder. Buyer beware.

And I agree, it's nice to see Blair throw some real world reality and common sense into the fray. Something that was sorely lacking in this discussion. Even though flow numbers are about the only technical way to compare heads, it's a very small slice of the pie when it comes to how they perform for an intended purpose.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2021, 08:36:08 AM »
Blair Patrick - It's good to see you post on here again, if only for the clarification on heads.

agreed 100%

X3
Woody

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2021, 09:03:06 AM »
Promaxx is not a crappy company and is actually quite good for 1400.00 a set complete and out flow Edelbrock.  I’ve seen several set of the SBC version at 780.00 complete through my shop and they’re really nice, no tight valve guides out of the box , port throats match the seats . I think you referring the old Pro Comp stuff , Scott Foxwell has some Chevy BB and FE Promaxx that turn out nice . If someone is on a tight budget and don’t need 330 cfm they’re excellent choice

X4 on Blair posting

amdscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2021, 10:40:11 AM »
Promaxx is not a crappy company and is actually quite good for 1400.00 a set complete and out flow Edelbrock.  I’ve seen several set of the SBC version at 780.00 complete through my shop and they’re really nice, no tight valve guides out of the box , port throats match the seats . I think you referring the old Pro Comp stuff , Scott Foxwell has some Chevy BB and FE Promaxx that turn out nice . If someone is on a tight budget and don’t need 330 cfm they’re excellent choice

X4 on Blair posting

^^^ This.

The Promaxx heads are a good cost effective proposition.... quality does not seem to have the variance issues the Aluminum Eddy heads have been suffering of late. I just picked up a set for my SB Mopar 360, they are still sitting in the box waiting for my head guy to free up some time to go through them. But most people I hear have laid hands on them mirror what was said above... you can boltem' on with fair confidence.

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2021, 12:07:19 PM »
So I just read this thread.  I'm not going to try to sell my heads on here.  A person should do research and make an informed decision.  "Patrick CNC" can't accurately describe a pimple on an elephant's ass of all of the different programs we have.  I have revised the "Street Pro Port" seven times over the course of the time Edelbrock has been doing those castings.  When a person comes here for heads, the first things to figure out are budget, and how they intend to use it.   From there, I try to inform them to the best of my ability and do something to maximize their "bang for the buck".  There are five intake ports, two exhaust ports, and two combustion chambers that we generally sell in Ed Pro Port castings when selling cylinder heads or top end packages. I have a few other ports that we use in class legal or max effort race apps, that are cost prohibitive.......if not working within rules, it just isn't a sensible way to go.

"Street Pro Ports" have stock MR location intake and exhaust flanges.  I don't advertise numbers.  I sell heads that work.  Just for information purposes, I had Bischoff flow a Street Pro Port as a "3rd party".   320 at .500, 347 at .700.  Exhaust 240-ish in the stock location.  I don't need to go into any more detail here, but the ports are in the MR location, and they don't look like anything else mentioned here, and they do not cost $6K.  $4200 is current pricing for standard seats and 72cc chambers.  From there, there are MANY options. It is possible to get Econo Pro Ports for $3500, or max effort class-legal heads that are 15K. Raised and relocated exhaust ports flow 255 to 280 depending on port and valve size.  It all depends on goals and use. From 55cc chambers, to Oval Port and High Riser intake ports that will flow 400+ cfm, depending on where they are flowed.  I never see more than 390 here on any of my ports, but other folks have benches that read higher than mine.

We also work on many other brands of heads.  We just finished R&D on the next generation BBM heads. They are better than current offerings with only a 2.100 intake valve, and notably superior to any current stock location shelf available heads with the optional cnc package. They should be available in the Fall. 

Posted for information and clarification.  I'm not sure why every topic in which my stuff is mentioned always results in one or more experts on here, without fail, making false assumptions or misleading statements about my junk.  Sometimes there are trade-offs to accomplish goals.  Often, a max flow number is given up to get more meat where it needs it.  Sometimes ports are smaller, with high velocity by design, so quoting a flow number doesn't tell the whole story.  If you just buy a flow number, you may not get what you need.  Lots more to it. 
BP.
[/quot

Blair, I have a .030 block with a stock stroke and thinking of buying a 462 stroker. Can you give me the top three or so, of heads and which cfm to check out ? I know there's a lot different ways to go, but just your words of wisdom on what the engine needs. 😎

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2021, 06:12:07 PM »
Best thing to do if you are ready to buy something, and want to use us, is call the shop or email me. 423-837-one five one four.  Email is captcj at hughes dot net.  Thanks
Blair Patrick

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2021, 07:50:56 AM »
You should take a look at Jay's heads.

KS

I personally feel like Jay's heads would work fine on a street/strip deal as the cross section should be fine, just not sure they're needed if a guy is running a stock block as it would be in the "danger zone" for sure.  Plus I think the OP has a multi-stack EFI/carb type intake that wouldn't work with the heads.  Also not sure how well Jay's heads/intake will fit under a low hood line?

Correct, I have a stack EFI intake. Why wouldn't Jay's heads work ?

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2021, 08:03:00 AM »
On TFS FE head, says their not in stock ?

https://www.trickflow.com/search/product-line/trick-flow-powerport-175-cylinder-heads-for-ford-390-428

Much of what has been said, is over what my brain can understand.
So, with my TWM/BORLA stack injection, which heads and flow would be great for my 428FE ?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 08:20:25 AM by 427HISS »

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2021, 10:48:20 AM »
You should take a look at Jay's heads.

KS

I personally feel like Jay's heads would work fine on a street/strip deal as the cross section should be fine, just not sure they're needed if a guy is running a stock block as it would be in the "danger zone" for sure.  Plus I think the OP has a multi-stack EFI/carb type intake that wouldn't work with the heads.  Also not sure how well Jay's heads/intake will fit under a low hood line?

Correct, I have a stack EFI intake. Why wouldn't Jay's heads work ?

Amongst other concerns, the intake spacing is different. http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=6987.0

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2021, 10:53:15 AM »
I'm just not a ProMaxx fan. 

Never used their stuff, never plan to.   The way that head came about was that a fella named Stevens made a Chinese copy of  Edelbrock's head. 

I know there's a little bit of copying in everything, but I have zero tolerance in copying someone's product and having a cheap version made of it in China.  Procomp/Speedmaster did it with MSD, CHI, you name it.  This is just another instance of that, that's why they're so cheap. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2021, 11:14:14 AM »
Brent Promaxx bought Alabama cylinder heads and Patriot in 2012 , designed their own stuff after that and not to be confused with Pro Comp Stevenson copy

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2021, 11:50:46 AM »
Brent Promaxx bought Alabama cylinder heads and Patriot in 2012 , designed their own stuff after that and not to be confused with Pro Comp Stevenson copy

If that's the case, then I will apologize and retract my statement.   Do you have a source for that info, Eric?
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2021, 12:40:01 PM »
As far as I know its the Stevens casting with CNC and valve job done at ProMaxx

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2021, 06:19:20 PM »
Brent, just their about page , I’ve had several of the Chevy casting, Promaxx sold one of my customers some 183cc intake port heads for a 355 and told him when he goes to a 383 from 355 he can send the heads in and get a 200cc CNC port job for a small additional cost when he’s ready . They seem decent, in the FE world they are not something you pick for racing but a decent low cost alternative for a mild build that not worth fixing the cast iron heads
https://promaxxperformance.com/about-us/