Author Topic: FE Power Cylinder Head Package - Update  (Read 4243 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
FE Power Cylinder Head Package - Update
« on: December 08, 2019, 01:44:13 PM »
Summary:

-  Still no dyno data, working through some casting issues on the cylinder heads
-  Have cast the first couple prototype heads with the stock exhaust port location
-  Modifications to the raised exhaust port head yielded a big improvement in flow, and the stock exhaust port head exceeded my flow expectations
-  Next round of castings is due in January, hopefully all foundry issues will be solved by then and I can run the heads on the dyno.

Sorry for the delay on an update for this project, I have been ridiculously busy with the project and getting ready for PRI next week, so I just haven't had a lot of time to post new information.

By this time I was hoping to have an engine running with my new heads on it, but various issues with casting the cylinder heads has caused some delays, and as a result I still don't have a set of heads that I am ready to run on an engine.  Starting back in September, I had completed the design of the version of the heads with the stock exhaust port location, and got a couple more heads poured.  However, the foundry had problems filling the mold, and the exhaust ports came out only partially formed.  In addition, the water jacket core broke during the pouring operation, then floated up into contact with the exhaust port cores, resulting in holes in all the exhaust ports.  See the photo:

Well, as a good friend of mine is fond of saying, if it was cheap and easy, everybody would do it.  >:(  It was back to the drawing board on the stock exhaust design, to try to resolve the water jacket issue.  Also, the foundry had some thoughts about filling the mold, and was going to make a modification to their pouring procedure to try to addess that issue.  After a month of work, I had more sand delivered to the foundry.  The sand is shipped from the 3D print place, and up to this point there had been no issues with that, but this time the sand arrived with all the cores broken.  Crap, another delay. 

I had more cores printed, and actually went to the core manufacturer and picked up the cores myself, to make sure that they didn't get damaged in transit.  This time the cores made it up to the foundry intact, and we poured again.  The foundry tried pouring at a higher temperature, and we poured both the SE (stock exhaust) and RE (raised exhaust) versions.  Unfortunately my changes to the water jacket design on the SE head was only partially successful, there were still a couple of spots where the water jacket core broke, and came up to breach the exhaust ports. 

Nevertheless I took these castings back home to machine, because I hadn't yet machined one of the SE castings.  The RE casting looked good, so I machined one of those first, then welded up the floors of the ports in the SE casting and machined that also.  When I got finished I brought both heads in to the shop for seats, guides, and flow testing.  But the first order of business was pressure checking the RE casting, and the very unfortunate result of pouring the aluminum at a higher temperature was some casting porosity.  So, I had leaks in the cylinder head, which was a big disappointment; I hadn't had that with the first set I did last March.  Somehow we are going to have to modify the gating and sprues of the casting mold to allow us to pour at the lower temperature, while ensuring complete filling of the mold.

After the valve job, we did a flow test on the exhaust ports of both the SE and RE heads, and for a change this was a very pleasant surprise.  The RE head picked up significantly, from a peak of 234 cfm at 0.800" lift, all the way up to 277 cfm!  Now that port is flowing  like I was expecting it to.  The changes in the port design were driven primarily by the work of Joe Craine on a section of the head that I sent to him last summer, and also by my porting guy Bryan at R&R performance.

I wasn't really expecting a lot out of the SE head, but this was a pleasant surprise also.  The flow from the SE head peaked at 252 cfm.  This is almost as good as my CNC ported Blue Thunder medium riser heads, and of course those have a raised exhaust port.  The flow data from both heads was obtained with just a good valve job, and blending of the bowl under the seat.  No porting work was done.  The flow test results are below:

The foundry wanted to try one other test run of the heads, changing the pour parameters somewhat, so in the middle of November I had some more sand printed up, shipped to the foundry (no damage this time), and they poured one more SE and one more RE head.  This time the RE head looked much better, but there was still one small leak in one of the spark plug holes in the pressure test, and the SE head still broke the water jacket core under the exhaust ports.  Nevertheless I machined both of those heads, and since they are the most recent ones I will be displaying them at PRI next week.

After working with the foundry guys for the last couple of weeks, and also the pattern maker, we have a new plan going forward that we think will solve the problems I've seen this fall.  I'm planning to pour another pair of heads in January, so we will see how it all works out.  In the meantime, here are some pictures of the recent castings.  In the first photo, you can see from looking at the roof of the ports that only one of the exhaust ports on the SE head is correctly formed; the foundry is still having trouble filling the mold:

The picture below shows what the whole cylinder head package will look like:

Here is a picture of the rocker arms.  These are machined from 7075 billet aluminum.  Also in the picture is one of the special head stud nuts that will be required with these heads.  They have a different thread on the other side, for bolting to the steel bar that supports the rocker assembly (second picture).  So, the rocker assembly bolts both into the cylinder head casting, and also into the head studs.  Finally, you can see the long steel shims that will be provided with the heads to allow adjusting the height of the rockers, for optimizing rocker geometry:

Here's a picture of the SE head with the rocker assembly bolted on:

I make my apologies in advance for not having a lot of time to answer questions on this, I am completely buried in getting ready for PRI.  If you happen to be attending the show, please stop by the FE Power booth and say hi; we are in booth 4353 in the main convention hall.  Thanks, Jay
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Re: FE Power Cylinder Head Package - Update
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 01:55:05 PM »
I'm not a buyer for these, but I just wanted to say that you are awesome Jay.

I love watching this, thanks for sharing.

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 02:29:56 PM »
so much work , just for us Fe guys , thank you so much Jay . I can not imagine how much all of this takes .

Ghoughton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 04:41:55 PM »
I AM a buyer for these, and they are so awesome I don’t care how long it takes. Kudos to you
for pressing forward despite issues. That can get kind of depressing. Thanks for the update! And keep up the good work!

667Litre

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 05:44:44 PM »
Jay, it’s a bummer your having some issues, hopefully things get squared away in the near future.  I’m excited to hear about your collection and hopefully incorporate your products in my next build.  I’m slowly (understatement) gathering some parts, and following the forums to gather some knowledge and info, and will hopefully equate into a beastly engine for the ol’ Ford.

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 09:49:32 PM »

When life hands you lemons, make lemonade. Jay, sell those first heads to the boat guys who need water cooled exhaust.  ;)

« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 11:11:16 PM by Nightmist66 »
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 12:36:00 AM »
Yes, amazing job of this and very well thought out too. I like those stock style exhaust ports and it looks like it turns down inside the port like a Pontiac which out to match up to shock tower style headers just perfectly since almost all of those angle down right at the flange.

aj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 11:52:51 PM »
Thanks for documenting the journey.   For me personally, that’s nearly as cool as the part itself.
Adrian Jacobs
Weatherford, TX
1970 Shelby GT500 
1970 Boss 302

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 07:02:59 AM »
Impressive in pictures, and even more impressive in person. While the RE heads are amazing, the SE head package, and cast tunnel ram Jay has in the works, is what really impresses this Mopar guy. That combo will make one KILLER Nostalgia Super Stock package, that will make huge power. Looking forward to PRI, and meeting the always great FE racers.

Jeff

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 01:20:36 PM »
I am personally surprised at the complexities of getting the castings made. I have no experience with this and didn't realize how complex the interaction between the mold and injection process was.

I have been watching the emergence of 3D aluminum alloy printing, and while the machines are still too small to make a head in one part, it is coming. It almost seems like it would be cheating to design a head with nothing but performance considerations and have no issues with the limitations of castings.

There is a video about casting a new intake for a Toyota six, and Ford did a one-off intake for Ken Block for his 77 F150 (with an Ecoboost), and Roush have made at least one set of heads using the same technique. Right now it takes 24 hours on the machine to make an intake, but we know it is not going to be that long before it gets faster and cheaper.

Imagine what Jay will come up with then!
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 05:33:02 PM »
    Tim Meyer has had similar set backs with his 351C engine blocks . Art Francis had some issues with his heads too. Once figured out , we all win!

DuckRyder

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2019, 06:10:06 PM »
I’m probably not a buyer anytime soon either...

But I sure am glad folks like Jar are doing this kind of stuff.

Wonder if Factory Five headers will fit?

It is enlightening to see the pictures of the unsuccessful castings and trial and tribulations related to the castings and cores...
Robert