Author Topic: Cheap (chinese) mechanical fuel pumps...are they good or junk?  (Read 1912 times)

ogasman

• View Profile
Warmed up street motor, nothing too racy about it.  Looking for something better than a chinese replacement stock pump, but don't need a full race type Holley  pump.  Looking on Epay at what appear to be a chinese knock off holley pump.  They are around $40, only have 1/4 fittings, but claim high GPH flows.  Anybody tried one yet?  Anybody have another good option for a warmed up street engine?

Thanks
Paul

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Cheap (chinese) mechanical fuel pumps...are they good or junk?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 07:02:57 PM »
The standard Holley pump is not just for race engines, but really designed more for street or street/strip use. Stock type pumps work fine for stock or mild engines. The Holley is good for anything from stock, up to about 500hp. Anything more than that is pushing it. Go with a cheap 'copy' pump, pop a diaphragm, and you can fill your pan up with gas. Then the term "light it off" will take on a whole new meaning. Personally, I would stay far far away from anything that is a Chinese knockoff of any product....even if the Holleys are built in China (I don't know where they are made, but it would not surprise me if they were).
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 10:06:11 PM »
We've had pretty good success with the Carter M6905.
But that is probably either obsolete or made in China now too....

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 11:04:37 PM »
We've had pretty good success with the Carter M6905.
But that is probably either obsolete or made in China now too....

Not obsolete, I just bought a couple from the local parts house. The ones I bought last time were stamped Mexico. These ones have no ID on the pump, but the box said China. So who knows?

cattleFEeder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 06:45:41 AM »
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-1724/make/ford
USA made and 6 psi fuel pressure , have had good luck with these.
Remember, RPM is your friend

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 01:27:02 PM »
Rock auto has a airtex wells for a 64 427 i have had good luck with under 50 bucks

67xr7cat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 06:36:08 PM »
Not an FE, but recently replaced a hi capacity Carter pump on a 440 Mopar.  Pump looks same as what was on the car, just not 30 years old and worn out ;D

I don't think you could go wrong with a Carter pump.  The  M6905 Carter is $95.79 at Rockauto. 

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 08:50:03 PM »
Not an FE, but recently replaced a hi capacity Carter pump on a 440 Mopar.  Pump looks same as what was on the car, just not 30 years old and worn out ;D

I don't think you could go wrong with a Carter pump.  The  M6905 Carter is $95.79 at Rockauto.

I can`t recall if that is the part number I have, but on the 428 CJ engine in my 59 2 door sedan, I bought a Carter mechanical pump that, other than the fuel inlet fitting, looks just like a factory CJ pump. Not sure where it was made, but it works fine and doesn`t leak.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

ogasman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2021, 01:08:48 PM »
Took your advise.  Ordered the Carter M6905.  Found it on Amazon for $86.  Amazon listed the right part number, but under the details it said fuel type diesel.  I took a chance on it, free returns on Prime.  Got it today.  It is the right pump.  Box said Hecho in estudios unidos (Made in USA).  Pump cast made in USA on the side.

Good Deal

Paul
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 01:54:40 PM by ogasman »

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2021, 07:11:13 PM »
Took your advise.  Ordered the Carter M6905.  Found it on Amazon for $86.  Amazon listed the right part number, but under the details it said fuel type diesel.  I took a chance on it, free returns on Prime.  Got it today.  It is the right pump.  Box said Hecho in estudios unidos (Made in USA).  Pump cast made in USA on the side.

Good Deal

When you get the pump, take it apart and inspect for cleanlieness...I have found a fair amount of casting flash and other debris in the last two I purchased.

While it is apart you can smooth the flow path, and even enlarge it a little bit with proper drilling of the fittings, remember, it only has to hold back a few PSI, not 80-100.

The few "porting" mods I have done to mine have provided more than adequate fuel from a mechanical pump....but mostly I got the crap out of the pump before using it.

Paul