Author Topic: Current Pulse on Dove Mfg  (Read 6358 times)

mbrunson427

• View Profile
Current Pulse on Dove Mfg
« on: December 31, 2019, 10:31:03 AM »
Has anyone had an experience with Dove recently? I have talked to David about producing a set of TP heads and a 3x2 Tunnelwedge that I've been looking for but haven't been able to get my hands on. Sounds like he's willing to produce any of their past offerings. My problem is....I want to have some confidence that it's going to get done if money is exchanged. Anybody done this lately and had good luck?
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

ntheogen

• View Profile
Re: Current Pulse on Dove Mfg
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 06:03:38 AM »
I haven't done any business with him, but I'll say this... I tried to buy a set of aluminum high riser heads button price was ever given to me after asking a couple times. I wouldn't buy anything that wasn't already made and ready to go. I'll buy a set as well if he wants to make them, but I would not do any pre-payment.

SSdynosaur

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 10:55:34 AM »
DO NOT...I repeat, do not, give any member of the Dove families any form of recognized payment for ANYTHING that you cannot or have not examined closely prior to an immediate exchange (absolutely no future delivery). I'm embarrassed to admit that I posted the requested $4000 for two sets of custom cast iron HiRiser castings with a promised delivery of 30 to 45 days almost three years ago and have received nothing but silence from Dove Engineering since they received the cash. IMHO, it is a dead business that continues to produce income form whomever they can scam into "donating" money to perpetuate the myth that they are still a viable source of FE hardware. It is a true shame that a business with so much honest potential has fallen to such depths of outright thievery and deception.

Incidentally, I have a new, in the boxes, untouched, pair of Dove aluminum HiRiser "PIE" heads that are ready for assembly if anyone is interested.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 12:35:20 PM »
Are you saying that your ended up getting them after all?

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 12:43:46 PM »
DO NOT...I repeat, do not, give any member of the Dove families any form of recognized payment for ANYTHING that you cannot or have not examined closely prior to an immediate exchange (absolutely no future delivery). I'm embarrassed to admit that I posted the requested $4000 for two sets of custom cast iron HiRiser castings with a promised delivery of 30 to 45 days almost three years ago and have received nothing but silence from Dove Engineering since they received the cash. IMHO, it is a dead business that continues to produce income form whomever they can scam into "donating" money to perpetuate the myth that they are still a viable source of FE hardware. It is a true shame that a business with so much honest potential has fallen to such depths of outright thievery and deception.

Incidentally, I have a new, in the boxes, untouched, pair of Dove aluminum HiRiser "PIE" heads that are ready for assembly if anyone is interested.

Jay has a child board dedicated to exactly the issue you had: http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=11.0
Bob Maag

SSdynosaur

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 05:54:31 PM »
Are you saying that your ended up getting them after all?

NO, and I don't ever expect to see any of the payment OR heads. The "first" heads I purchased were the aluminum version and they were in-stock and shipped immediately. The 4K payment was for two additional set of cast iron heads that were not in-stock but promised to be cast and delivered within 30 to 45 days maximum.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2020, 08:48:18 PM »
I haven't checked within the last several months, but Jim Dove, who was the owner of all the Dove operations, had been sick for several years, and in and out of a nursing home during that time. He may, very possibly, be dead by now.

Anyone offering a suggestion of evil intent may well be pushing something that simply isn't true. In his illness, he tried to keep things going, long after he was in no shape to do so. The business went down hill quite rapidly.

Years of my association with him found him to be an honorable man, albeit one who easily took offense and pushed back when he was attacked by 'in-your-face' ignorance. He was, at times, his own worst enemy.

Those of us who have been around a while---my first new car was a '64 with a 427 engine---know of the fact that he carried on the idea of the performance FE engine, quite by himself for a time. One can buy all the necessary parts to assemble 427 engines from the aftermarket. It's not necessary to use any factory parts at all. This would not be true if Jim Dove had not carried on the idea.

He will be missed.

KS

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2020, 10:04:39 PM »
I visited Dove's manufacturing facility a little over a year ago.  They were preparing to close the doors, and Larry Dove told me on the phone that he would be willing to sell some of the casting patterns for some of the parts.  I was there in three days with Kurt Neighbor, prepared to part with a bunch of cash, but by then the story had changed and nothing was for sale anymore.  Larry seemed like a nice guy who was probably under pressure from others in the family not to sell.  Larry told us that there was a finance package of about $400K that Jim had taken out on the business, and that Larry was now liable for.  He did not sound happy, probably because he couldn't sell the stuff he had said he could.  It was a wasted trip for me, I was disappointed, and Kurt was disappointed.  The place was a complete mess and I don't think I would have been interested in purchasing any of the scattered parts that remained there.  Blocks marked "leaker", head castings with obvious defects, etc.

I would have to agree with prior comments regarding not parting with any cash unless you can actually see and touch the parts. 
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 10:22:29 PM »
I find this news very sad.

Three years ago I bought a complete Dove 428FE from Jim.  Larry (I think) built it for Jim's truck. The next time I called Jim may have had a stroke and was in a home. Several months ago I was on a forum asking a question, then David contacted me saying that he was taking over the business and if I had any questions he'll answer them. We spoke on the phone and he gave me more information on their heads. I told him that the cam was too small for me, so he gave me a new Comp   spec, lifters, spring numbers etc. He was very helpful. He did not say to buy from him, just give Comp a call with his part numbers, so I'm concerned about these issues I'm reading here. He did say he's working the phones at Jegs part time to help his shop finances.

SSdynosaur

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 11:26:55 PM »
Read the above postings and deal with anyone from that group at your own peril.