Author Topic: Dry Sump Pictures/ Schematics?  (Read 2356 times)

sumfoo1

• View Profile
Dry Sump Pictures/ Schematics?
« on: August 11, 2014, 06:51:57 AM »
I almost ran a dry sump setup on my turbo subaru... but then i thought... why would i spend that much money protecting an engine that's only worth 3/4k anyway ?

Now that i'm building a nasty FE on a block that's worth more than the whole subaru engine i'm thinking maybe it's time to consider it?

The truth is this car is going to be somewhere between a Sunday driver and a weekend warrior.
Off the top of my head i'd say that  it will probably see between 2000 and 5000 miles a year and a bunch of those will be 1/4 or an 1/8th at a time. I will trailer the car to the track so if it breaks i have a ride home but i'll probably drive it a couple hundred miles some times to a car show or something. Is going dry sump still beneficial or is the risk of throwing the belt greater than the gain of not worrying about the sump going dry under acceleration. 

Also as i keep hinting i'd like to turbo the motor at some point in this case should i scavenge straight from the turbos or still drain them back to the pan and let the pump scavenge from there ?

Should i feed turbos straight off the pump or off the filter line?  (granted this is just research for a year or two down the road)

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: Dry Sump Pictures/ Schematics?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 12:58:10 PM »
Don't do it. Even in NASCAR, SCCA etc. often trash on the track will get under the hood and pitch that belt. If you do, you must have an oil pressure switch that kills the motor when the belt gets pitched. JMO and opinions may vary!

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168292
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 01:26:16 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 02:20:23 PM »
Given the headaches of a dry sump setup I don't think I'd do it again.  The additional vacuum from the dry sump pump didn't get me any horsepower, and the additional plumbing was a nightmare.  I'd go with a standard wet sump arrangement, a separate vacuum pump if I wanted crankcase vacuum, and use an accumulator, like an Accusump, to protect the engine in case the oil runs away from the pickup.

On the turbos, regardless of the oiling system I would recommend draining back to the pan.  That approach is known to work.  It would make me nervous to use a dry sump stage and scavenge oil directly from the turbo bearings; I'd be afraid that this approach would pull too much oil out of the bearings and lead to scuffing or worse...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

sumfoo1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 03:00:04 PM »
thanks guys...  that makes me feel better about just writing it off.

I agree with the pan but i wasn't sure if it was acceptable practice to plumb into a shallow sump like that.