Author Topic: Leaf Springs and Lugnuts...  (Read 8446 times)

amdscooter

• View Profile
Re: Leaf Springs and Lugnuts...
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 10:44:46 PM »
Yeah, rereading my post it sounds kinda snarky (wasn't the intention).  The south Ga sun was cooking my head too, I volunteered to help a friend take down two large metal buildings and rebuild them in a different location (did it on saturday and sunday).

I think your thoughts of 20 years might be a little ambitious tho, you might want to call Calvert, they know their products engineering limitations better than anyone here.

Although you seem to have your mind made up, I'll pass this link on to you anyway in case you decide to go another direction:
http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/makin-progress/553305-2013-progress-my-63-5-galaxie.html

Good luck!

No worries, we all have our days.  ::) Thanks for sharing the linked info, lots of good info in there. Nice setup you have and those black steel wheels look right on it.

amdscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2015, 01:43:16 PM »
As Don Ameche once famously said.. "things change".

I was at a local show and shine a few weeks ago and hooked up with a fellow 67 Fairlane GTA/390 owner I've known for a few years. We were leaning over my hood discussing what I was going to dig into next and I remarked on my plans for the rear leaf springs. He says, "I have a set of practically new factory spec. springs you can have.". He apparently had issues with his rear in the past, long story short he ended up with a spare set of springs he just gave to me.

I'm going to get a new coat of paint on them and am looking at the Eaton spring install kit #IKFC3019, but they give no detail what is in it. Drew, can you detail what comes in the kit and let me know if you needed to buy any additional parts for your install?   

Thanks in advance
-Scott

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 02:25:00 PM »
See what is in that picture I posted early on in the thread?  All of the eaton kit is in that picture.
I've got a 63.5 Galaxie so we certainly do not have identical systems....

It had everything I needed for install with the exception of the front spring eye bolt.  They informed me that it hardly if ever wore out, and if I wanted one, they could get it for me, but they didn't see the need.  They also suggested checking the bolt before worrying about it.
sure enough it was perfect.

I would advise you to do the same thing I did (call the company you are about to give money to, and ask them any questions you have).

As I stated above, I couldn't be happier with my Eaton dealings.
Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, I've been out of cell range offshore for 9-10 days headed up the east coast.

amdscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 08:59:53 PM »
^^ Works for me Drew, thanks!

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 09:18:46 AM »
I'm tossing in my two bits because I "investigated" the rear end/leaf springs.  I scored a awesome set of 68 CJ Mustang leaf springs from the pull-off parts collection the cars owner accumulated as the drove out of dealer race car was butchered/modified though the decades to eventually carry a BBC.  I rebuilt the springs with new bushings, clamps and insulators and an extra half leaf added to tighten the front half of the spring against wind-up. I'm just going to run a NOS set of Mr Gasket traction bars, Koni's and a serious sway bar.  I have a feeling my car will ride firm.
    Years age when CalTrac was starting they featured the owners Mustang wheel-standing in Car Craft and the springs looked like they were stolen from a dump-truck.  I've wondered if the original Dump Truck springs were just about ridged and if the modern caltrac mono-leafs were designed to allow more travel in the rear suspension to make it work better?.....
   Those 6-leaf springs (if I counted right) of yours look to be mega-firm, which I presume will be un-like the mono-leafs?

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2015, 10:17:34 AM »
Having done the dump truck springs in both a 68 Fastback and a 67 Fairlane.
And then gone CalTrac.
I'll take the Cal's any day.
They just work better. imho