Author Topic: Two guys walked through our neighborhood last night at 03:00....  (Read 4933 times)

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
.....going from yard to yard, checking the car doors of all the cars that were sitting outside. 

The neighbor at the end of our cul-de-sac texted and said she had video of one guy using a slim-jim on my truck's doors.  They didn't get anything.

This absolutely infuriates me and there's nothing I can do about it.  No one got clear enough video to make an identification.  We have the Ring on our front door and our rear deck, but it didn't pick anything up.  We ordered another remote camera that we can center out in the driveway. 

Just venting.  I work hard to take care of my family and these low-lives are too lazy to work, so they steal.   I'd hate to catch them out there.  I wouldn't be able to shoot them, so I've been thinking about what I would do.  Paintball gun?  OC spray? 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
Re: Two guys walked through our neighborhood last night at 03:00....
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 08:43:53 AM »
You would end up in a different sort of jackpot if you took action. Sorry to hear of this.
Ask for a patrol and get them to tell you the frequency of it.

Sucks
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 08:54:10 AM »
Gnarly dogs at the pound looking for someone to protect  :o

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 08:58:11 AM »
We've had similar issues, fortunately they are rare.  We have a Ring on the door and a Ring flood on the shop drive.  The flood is really sensitive and triggers when you are easy 20+ feet from anything.  I also have motion lights on the shop and the house floods are on wifi switches.  We can light the place up by app or by voice command.

Lived many years on the east side of Fort Worth - lots of less than upstanding people wandering around.  External night lights and motion floods kept things untouched.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 09:09:26 AM »
If you have a Sams Club close by they have security systems with up to 16 cameras for a good price.
Four camera systems for as low as $299.00.
I install them around my area for business customers and they work good.
One of my customers had me install an 16 camarea unit at his salvage yard.
Last year he had a couple of guys in the yard steeling cats.
We pulled up the recording and followed the guy from the rear of the yard to his truck.
We noticed that he droped something about half way to the road.
The police officer and I went out and found his wallet with his ID and money in it.
He got 8 years in the pen.
So far we have caught 8 different thieves and put them away in a 6 year tome span.
Greg

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2021, 11:07:50 AM »
Just venting.  I work hard to take care of my family and these low-lives are too lazy to work, so they steal.   I'd hate to catch them out there.  I wouldn't be able to shoot them, so I've been thinking about what I would do.  Paintball gun?  OC spray?

And "venting" is all you can do, as if you act, the police, when and if they ever do appear, will arrest you!     :o

Last year he had a couple of guys in the yard steeling cats.
We pulled up the recording and followed the guy from the rear of the yard to his truck.
We noticed that he droped something about half way to the road.
The police officer and I went out and found his wallet with his ID and money in it.
He got 8 years in the pen.
So far we have caught 8 different thieves and put them away in a 6 year tome span.
Greg

Well Greg, be glad for the law enforcement available to you; but as for here in central Florida,............well we have cameras, the thief left his backpack at the scene, with his I.D., and even his appointment notice to appear before his parole officer, result,.................nothing!    :-\

In another instance, I witnessed the crime being committed (ran his arse off!), supplied vehicle description with license plate numbers, identified the hoodlum in a photo line-up (how did the police already have his photo?) and,...............nothing!       ???

In another instance, a hoodlum breaks into my house, steals stuff, the neighbor's camera catches a fine video of him ridding off on his bicycle with a small trailer in tow with my stuff, the officers upon viewing the video call out this perpetrators name (they knew him by name on sight?)...............nothing!       :(

In another instance, a purse snatcher comes running down the middle of street with a hoard of do-gooders (and perhaps a few vigilantes mixed in), hot on his tail, he runs into our shop holding the entry doors closed to separate himself from the good citizens, I come up behind him and with one rack of my Winchester 12GA. pump, his eyes the size of tangerines looking at me, decides to chance it with the crowd!  They manage to tackle this crook in the middle of the street, stopping all vehicular traffic, applying a liberal dose of punishment, what turned out to be an unmarked police car in the traffic jam stopped just say ten feet from me, standing by with my 12ga. just in case the perpetrator should break free, rolls their window down three inches and inquires as to what was going on.  After explaining to them the situation, they rolled their window back up, and drove off!       :o

Then, there was the time when our four wheel drive club had the shoot-out (and I hadn't brought along enough ammo!) with the Outlaws Motorcycle Club!  Well..................., nothing other than some bullet holes in vehicles shared by both parties................ otherwise..............nothing from law enforcement, heck, they wouldn't even get out of their vehicles at the scene!      >:(

And then there was the time..................well. I think you get the point!      :)

Heck, when the alarm goes off at our shop in the middle of the night I will respond, upon appearing at the premises (most often before the police have!), they will generally send me in to sweep the buildings (yep, with an "arresting" devise in hand!  ;) ), they wait outside for the 'all's clear' signal!  But at least, should it be, they don't generally give me the "False Alarm Notice" with my participation.   ::)

I went to court over one perpetrator who had stolen stuff, in my testimony I referred to him as a "thief", well that judge interrupted me saying he's not going to have any name calling in his court room, and warned me that I was in contempt of court and risk the repercussions if I did it again and said sit down!  Then the "defendant" (thief) says I was wrong as to my stated value of the property he had stolen, and produces from his pocket the pawn shop ticket for the 'stuff' saying it was prof of that!   :o    Of course, restitution,...............nothin'!

Then there was the time we dragged (we said it was their choice: them or the media) law enforcement to the known scene of the crime of the theft of our race car.  We arrived, no one was present, we all witnessed the perp. leaving the scene, in hast, they assembled in the shade provided by a race car trailer in the parking lot and said there was nothing they could do, as the door to the warehouse was locked, there was no evidence of any illegal activity, so we're leaving!  As the law enforcement officers were informing me of the situation, leaning against this trailer, my eyes wandered noticing that the welded-on I.D. plate had been removed from the trailer tung?  Finding that curious I said well that might just be a stolen trailer, isn't that evidence of illegal activity?  Their response was it would be if one could prove it was stolen, but with no I.D. tag there was no possible way to determine such!  So I then proceeded to point out that the trailer had had vinyl lettering on the sides now removed, which had preserved the paint from oxidation, and provided a readable telephone number; which I proceeded to dial, and the party who answered said that the trailer had been stolen three weeks ago!  I handed my phone to the officer. 
      Now they were able to search the premise, but I was not permitted to enter the warehouse and participate in the search for my property as I wasn't law enforcement.  After a period they emerged stating they found no evidence, we're leaving.  I said, can I at least use the 'head' before we leave?  In my limited access, I realized that the wall paneling in the rest room didn't fit well, a little tug and out fell parts to our car!     8)

O.K., I'll stop! 

Scott.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 01:59:06 PM by pbf777 »

CJBIRD

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2021, 11:25:57 AM »
Sorry to hear Brent. Up here in CT that sort of activity is rampant and unfortunately is fueled by the lack of consequences here for juveniles entering the cars and stealing them. But, as a Police Officer, I will point out that all of the ideas mentioned above can aid the situation. The motion lights, security cameras(which are pretty reasonable priced nowadays and user friendly), dogs barking usually turn people away…But, on the other hand, I would really research your state statutes pertaining to use of force in defending yourself and your property, as they vary from state to state. In your case, with a successful business and everything else you have worked for, I wouldn’t want to risk it for some losers looking to steal property. Also, what we’re seeing now is many of these people doing this are armed with guns stolen from vehicles they get into, and have been shooting at homeowners who confront them. Just two weeks ago a friend of my wife’s who lives in town confronted a couple youths in her driveway at 2 in the morning and they fired two rounds at her, striking the front door frame of the house and the other one also narrowly missing her and striking the wall in the foyer. Sorry for the long winded rant, but just be very careful. Not telling you not to defend yourself, just make sure you don’t put yourself in a shitty situation. And don’t be afraid to be that guy who calls in the suspicious vehicles or noises or what have you. Often times it leads to a response which can locate these types of suspects, and/or generate more police presence in the area to dissuade would be thieves. Again, I apologize for the long winded response. If you want to talk even further, feel free to shoot me a PM and we can connect.

Tony
63 1/2 Galaxie 500 XL(Z car)-427 8v/4spd
69 Falcon- 428CJ/4spd

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2021, 11:38:12 AM »
Some kids came through and did that recently, I never lock my '96 GMC because the truck is worth maybe $500, but still runs/drives great.  Anyway, kids were idiots as they just took change but left a pair of RayBans in the visor, and some pretty decent micrometers that were sitting on the seat.  I know, dumb by me, but I'd never had an issue and got careless. 

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2021, 12:01:28 PM »
Justice for me. I have a storage building behind my shop with some tires, wheels and an El Camino in it. One day I go back there and notice the lock was missing off the door. Reviewing the security video, some big dude comes out of the dark wearing a mask at 2 am. He gets the lock off ( maybe I didn't have it latched?) and sticks it in his pocket, steps inside and looks around. Takes nothing but the lock. Viewing the video, PD immediately knows who it is, confronts him and the dumb shit admits to it. So for taking the lock he got charged with prowling and loitering at night, breaking and entering, theft of property and receiving stolen merchandise. That got him 2 years added to his other 5 years of jail time. I am still waiting for my $15 restitution for the lock, but I'll get it. Now I have an old inoperative shotgun hanging from the ceiling with a sting tied to the trigger. Kinda works like those fake cameras. I do have a sign stating that the property is under video surveillance and booby trapped. Yeah, dumbass looked right at it.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

JC-427Stroker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2021, 01:01:43 PM »
When I was in my early teens someone decided they needed something of my father's more than he did. 

He posted a sign that read " Nothing on this property is worth your life - KEEP OUT" 

People would probably have a fit if you posted something like that today.

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2021, 03:13:09 PM »
Last winter I put up day/night motion activated cameras at my place and at my dad's partly to have a recording of funny business and partly so I can see who's out there without going outside.  The cameras are pretty good, even in the dark.  Spider webs or rain/snow can activate them though.

Guessing you've already done it but build relationships with the neighbors for extra eyes. 

We are living in a bizzaro time where media and politicians are celebrating bad guys and throwing cops in front of the bus.  Jobs are available but people don't want to work.  Seemed like your (blykins) neighborhood is pretty nice and I wouldn't expect to have crap heads around places like that.

c9zx

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2021, 05:46:39 PM »
I'm thinking a large speaker, waterproof amp with a a low growl recording of a pit bull triggered by a motion detector. Searching the internet as you read this. Chuck

kraut61

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2021, 06:19:27 PM »
I purchased a Lorex NVR system 2yrs ago for my residence. I selected it so I only had to run one cat5 cable for each camera and it uses their top cameras. Pretty impressive system, it automatically rewrites over the oldest recordings. I had to relocate the cameras farther out on the eaves , to the edge, because the soffit would refract light. I don't upload anything to the cloud just let it rewrite.

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2021, 08:41:09 PM »
I’m interested in this Lorex system. I pre-wired the shop with cat5 at 4 corners 12 feet off the ground.  The tools look simple, ends are cheap.  Our local law enforcement has their hands tied so tight now, the cameras are really just to see what critters come through to get to the creek.  I’ve found the only thing that works for anything is prayer.  When I tell people the hole is dug, the excavator is idling, and there’s a round chambered they get a strange expression.  We have great relationships with our neighbors. I rarely work the same hours 2 days in a row, which eases my mind, I can see what’s up any hour.  I figure worrying is an irresponsible waste of imagination, but it’s difficult when there’s kids in my house, I’m trying to make good humans out of.
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2021, 12:27:32 PM »
  Our local law enforcement has their hands tied so tight now, the cameras are really just to see what critters come through to get to the creek.  I’ve found the only thing that works for anything is prayer.

Lorex is the system we have with sixteen cameras, and  the police are always appreciative of the photography for their files, but unfortunately as stated, the cameras just give one something for posterity rather than actually providing true crime solution.  Heck, the criminals don't even care anymore if you have cameras, and just go about their activities without concern for them.   >:(

When I tell people the hole is dug, the excavator is idling, and there’s a round chambered ................. 

This is what needs to take place (unfortunately), within reason of course, as it truly is only the citizenry in the society that can be proactive and will make it successful or not; not an agency of government, who are only reactionary to the events of the failed society.    ;)

Scott.