Author Topic: Scale trains, lots of work here!  (Read 2130 times)

machoneman

• View Profile
Scale trains, lots of work here!
« on: April 07, 2015, 06:37:49 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCH8dV5Y1v8

I'm not a train follower but this was way too cool to pass up. Imagine all the design, engineering and machine shop work to build even one of these mazing machines! Can't even guess how much one would cost to duplicate. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 07:45:53 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

The Magic Ratchet

• View Profile
Re: Scale trains, lots of work here!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 07:26:24 AM »
A friend of mine that belongs to a live steamers club in NJ has a similar locomotive (don't remember if it's a "Daylight") that he had built. The build took place about 20-25 years ago; took several years and two builders to complete (one went bankrupt); cost him around $40,000 back then. Even the passenger cars were expensive. I painted them for him to save about $1,000 each. He has let me operate it a couple of times and, frankly, it's a lot of work. You are constantly watching steam pressure, water level, and a bunch of other things to keep it from blowing up or overspeeding into a turn. They require a great deal of maintenance and very careful winterization too. He has learned to operate the tools in the club's machine shop so he can craft parts when needed. Steam locomotives are complex, but reduce them in scale and everything becomes more complex than you can imagine.

Lou Manglass
Proud owner of "The Magic Ratchet"

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Scale trains, lots of work here!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 08:45:58 PM »
Great post. Just got back from a backpacking trip into the Appalachians and will be heading to Cass W.VA. here soon to the Cass Scenic Railroad. I love steam trains.

There are some guys, like he mentioned, that build incredible masterpieces. Ones that run on real coal and are exact in every detail. Amazing workmanship and a dedication that goes beyond just about anything. They may look like kids rides, but they are amazing works of art, just like the real things.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe