Author Topic: Galaxie offset shaft stabilizer bar  (Read 2711 times)

rcodecj

• View Profile
Galaxie offset shaft stabilizer bar
« on: September 29, 2014, 06:24:38 PM »
I saw this and thought it might be of interest. I vaguely remember reading something about this on Galaxies's in the past.
Maybe somebody could explain to me exactly what is pivoting that he mentions.
I bought one of his spring compressors and it was of very high quality and worked well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/63-64-Ford-Galaxie-Offset-Shaft-Stabilizer-Bar-/251446444227?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a8b6040c3

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: Galaxie offset shaft stabilizer bar
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 07:14:21 PM »
The front of the lower A-arm is what I and others call a kneeling pivot point. If you look closely, the pivot is essentially double jointed and does not merely move in one arc. Ford did this to offer a softer, smoother ride yet if does compromise handling especially under hard corner braking. Note that Ford dropped this IIRC after the '64 model year and for good reason.

The kit eliminates this double action and does improve handling....a lot! Yet, for a pure street car never driven hard into corners, etc., I'd skip it.   
Bob Maag

rcodecj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 07:37:39 PM »
I see it now. It seems like your caster would be all over the place but it must have worked.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 08:53:30 AM »
Oil pan clearance would be a problem for me with that setup so I have an older setup I think Moog sold.
It could be easily fabricated: