Author Topic: Fuel line ?  (Read 3813 times)

alf1960

• View Profile
Fuel line ?
« on: September 05, 2016, 10:58:28 AM »
  Newbie car guy here. I have a 64 galaxie with a 390 in it.  I`m getting ready to install a tri power. I was wondering what you guys would recommend for a pump to carb fuel line? I see that there are 2 piece pre made lines available. I assume they have a fuel canister in between them? Is the canister a filter? Should I have a filter after the pump? Aluminum, steel. Stainless Steel, braided? I just installed FPA ceramic headers that should help some with fuel problems caused by heat. Sorry for all the questions. Any advice would be appreciated.

RJP

• View Profile
Re: Fuel line ?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 12:01:25 PM »
Can't go wrong replicating the factory high performance fuel lines,  3/8" fuel line from tank to carbs and don't forget to enlarge the tank pick up too.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 10:52:05 AM »
No less than 3/8 from the tank up, and check the pickup assembly at the tank - some of them have quite a crimp in the bend where the feed line exits the tank.  The stock unit in my Falcon necked down close to 1/4".  It fed a healthy 351C up to about 5000, then the motor ran slap out of fuel.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 11:27:09 AM »
  Newbie car guy here. I have a 64 galaxie with a 390 in it.  I`m getting ready to install a tri power. I was wondering what you guys would recommend for a pump to carb fuel line? I see that there are 2 piece pre made lines available. I assume they have a fuel canister in between them? Is the canister a filter? Should I have a filter after the pump? Aluminum, steel. Stainless Steel, braided? I just installed FPA ceramic headers that should help some with fuel problems caused by heat. Sorry for all the questions. Any advice would be appreciated.

Yes, the canister is a filter.  Its a good idea to have a fine filter after the pump, and a coarse filter before the pump, although the pickup in the tank usually has the coarse filter on it.

If you have the wherewithal to build a custom distribution block, stainless steel braided AN line looks really nice on a tripower setup.  You would need to run a single line from the pump to the distribution block, and then three lines to the carbs.  There are fittings available to screw right into the carbs that will allow you to attached #6 AN line.  On the distribution block you can also add a separate 1/8" pipe fitting and put a fuel pressure gauge there.  Inline filters to match the AN line are also available.  I had a setup like that on my tripower and it looked really good...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

alf1960

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 11:54:22 AM »
Thank you for all the info. I`ve learned quite a bit from hours of reading on this forum.

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 12:12:40 AM »
  ... I see that there are 2 piece pre made lines available. I assume they have a fuel canister in between them? Is the canister a filter?...

Yes, as you guessed the pre-bent lines are meant to use the stock Ford fuel filter canister the 3-2V and 2-4V induction set-ups had. I have a picture of the filter canister assembly below. The stock Ford filter canister assemblies were available either painted black or in chrome ( if you had the dress-up kit ). The stock filter canister assemblies have not been available from Ford for quite a few years. The black painted filters were also used on heavy duty trucks ( like a F600 for example ), school buses, etc. with the FT gas engine. So if you're out junkyarding be sure and check those. Holley also used to sell a chrome fuel filter assembly years ago and as you can see in the photo it was EXACTLY the same as the Ford part, but with a "Holley" decal. I have never seen an original chrome Ford filter so I can't say if the chrome on the Ford filter was better than the Holley filter, but the metal housing is the same. Although the Holley filter that is the same as the Ford filter has not been available for many years either, they still turn up at swap meets and old speed shops. The original Ford and pictured Holley filter used a 3/8" tube fitting, but I believe the Holley part was also available in 5/16", so just know that wouldn't be an exact replacement. The filter canister unscrews and there is a replaceable filter element inside, and a rubber gasket. The replaceable filter inside IS easily available, so if you find a housing canister you're good. There are reproductions of the Ford fuel filter available, and I have never tried one, but I have seen people on the internet complain that some of the reproductions are poor quality and sometimes don't seal properly either, so beware. I'm not sure if anyone makes a good reproduction.

Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

alf1960

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 06:11:39 PM »
Thanks!

troublemaker427

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 12:43:33 PM »
Tony Branda sells a very good reproduction of the 3/8" canister.