Author Topic: Someone please tell me I don't need this car...  (Read 6388 times)

FElony

Re: Someone please tell me I don't need this car...
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2018, 12:54:59 AM »
I won't ask what you were shifting.  :o

Hey, when you gotta reach the high notes you use whatever resources you have at hand. That said, I discourage using Lava soap at any rpm whatsoever.

The rad is no issue nowadays. In 1980 I used a Monza rad with the inlets moved. 65 289 water pump and moved the rad ahead of the support. Nowadays I'd use the short Explorer timing cover and water pump and a narrow aluminum rad.
 I had the Herbert and Meek headers that sweep up and forward and dump ahead of the crossmember. No cutting but underhood heat buildup was a problem. It was my daily driver and only car for a couple years. Rain, snow, whatever. Got very good mileage with first a C90X cam and Cobra Intake then with a Crane solid and Torker. It had domed Jahns pistons making 12 to 1 compression and the heads were ported but still used the 1.78 valves on the first engine. I got away with 94 octane gas because it was never under much load. The tires would spin before bogging.

I have a stupid amount of SBF stuff. Loose and in car 289/302 count comes in at 22 engines. Tunnel ram, funnel web, Torkers, cams, domes. I could run an engine a year until I croak. Every time I post things like this I feel more and more like a mental case.

That was a fun car but having $22,000 dollars (in early 80's bucks, like a million now!) "invested" made it impossible to sell when everyone else's  $1000 V8 Pinto for sale was a $300 car with a $200 mid 70's smog 302. It meant having to pass on a 66 427 Fairlane and a 70 GT500 that came with a 428CJ still in it running and a complete 427 SOHC that he discovered won't fit.

22 grand? OK, maybe I'm not as much as a mental case as you. If I didn't have so many other projects I would consider this. I am really surprised nobody from the Pinto forum hasn't snatched it yet.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2018, 04:11:09 AM »
Really, really like that thing.
Took my driver test in a 72 4 speed Pinto.
Wonder if an aluminum 482 would fit...???

I wonder if there are any weirdo Pinto fanatics that would consider it heresy to hack up a factory 4-speed A/C '72? I mean, I understand that kind of thing, really. If I buy it, what do you have to trade?

What do you want/need?  Dead serious.  I learned to drive in a 4 speed 72 when I was 14.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2018, 09:14:17 AM »
If that was closer I'd already be on the road with a trailer and cash.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2018, 10:30:30 AM »
Tom, anything can be made to fit. I cracked a piston on my '72 Pinto, running with a pair of side-draft Webers and all the other stuff you'd expect. While re-doing the engine, I was looking at another project, a 429 SCJ engine setting on the floor, that we re-worked with a 460 crank for a local circle-track car that was sorta in the family.

Long story short, I put a full frame in it, chopped the top 4 inches, put a roll-cage in it, and the 466/C6 combo with a Versailles 9" rear axle. We set the engine behind the original firewall line and mounted two seats on the back seat footspace. Fibreglas front end, doors and rear quarters with 285-40X15 front tires and 335-35X15 Pirellis on the back, all on Weld wheels. Used the engine box from an E150 as the starting point for the new firewall. The driveshaft was only a bit more than a foot long. Car weighed 2260 with 1140 on the rear wheels. (I was writing for Super Ford at the time.)

Great fun until it was stolen.

KS

FElony

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2018, 11:30:17 AM »
Mounting...peer group...pressure...must...resist...being...assimilated   :(

FElony

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2018, 11:47:21 AM »
Really, really like that thing.
Took my driver test in a 72 4 speed Pinto.
Wonder if an aluminum 482 would fit...???

I wonder if there are any weirdo Pinto fanatics that would consider it heresy to hack up a factory 4-speed A/C '72? I mean, I understand that kind of thing, really. If I buy it, what do you have to trade?

What do you want/need?  Dead serious.  I learned to drive in a 4 speed 72 when I was 14.

Negotiating without the goods would be sketchy, even for me. Let's see what happens. Ad is still up.

Garyford

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2018, 01:02:45 PM »
I got a 73 runabout from the kids last fall. It was stock until I took the thing apart to fix some rust in the floor and to add modern seat belts. I would really like to add some kind of truss/roll bar to reinforce the rear section over the wheel wells, that seems designed to crush the gas tank.

1) it is startling how bad those cars are, compared to anything modern.  It really feels prone to be rattling along in a tin box looking up at the smallest of modern cars.  So brace yourself.

2) it is refreshing how honest those cars are. Something to easily be fixed. No reverse lockout :) Fits on the local walking trail.  Handbrake turns are easily accomplished, especially on 15 year old rubber.

3) Everywhere we drove the thing it generated a nice response. Folks our age would invariably mouth "is that a Pinto?" as if they were emerging from a 30 year vegetative state.  Modern kids are much drawn to it, not sure what they are looking at especially when they witness my middle aged body trying to climb my way out of the very low seating position.

If you have time to drive it, I don't think you will be disappointed, even if you keep it stock.

turbohunter

• View Profile
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2018, 01:41:43 PM »
You WILL be assimilated!

Bob Maag

FElony

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2018, 02:17:55 PM »
You WILL be assimilated!

Dang me
Dang me
Ya oughta take a rope and hang me
Hang me from the highest treeeeee
Forum won't you weep for me

FElony

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2018, 02:28:45 PM »

FElony

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2018, 03:03:19 PM »
The hits just keep on coming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmVaIpsFldw

I have been assimilated.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2018, 04:51:09 PM »
Buy the damn thing already.  I will send you my left...

FElony

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2018, 06:09:30 PM »
Buy the damn thing already.  I will send you my left...

Check your PM box.