Author Topic: nitrous oxide  (Read 6548 times)

fryedaddy

• View Profile
nitrous oxide
« on: November 02, 2021, 04:31:48 PM »
i just installed a nx kit on my 428.any thing i need to do or check before using.retard timing,colder plugs,wot switch,purge kit, race gas, bottle pressure 950 area. im running a 4 speed so i thought i might use the wot switch instead or with the push button.any suggestions? im going to use the 100 shot jets.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 04:33:19 PM by fryedaddy »
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

Phil Brown

• View Profile
Re: nitrous oxide
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 09:11:53 PM »
Start small, pull timing out and don't get greedy. Learn to read the plugs as they will tell you what is going on. Colder plug will help

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 10:04:33 PM »
Make sure you have a spare shortblock.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 10:26:36 PM »
Just go to NX sight and check out there power tuning guide. 150 shot or less and you will have no problems tuning for it.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

fallguy72

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2021, 05:54:37 AM »
Fuel pressure is absolutely the most important thing. If you want to just t off of the mechanical pump don't plan on spraying for long. I use an extra electric pump that turns on when the system is armed. I have had good luck 200+ 1/8th mile passes spraying 150 445FE.

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2021, 08:04:52 AM »
Make sure you have a spare shortblock.
not looking for s.a. comments like this.do you say the same thing to the big dogs shooting for 900-1000 hp? no,i have noticed you are polite to them. i may not be a big dog,im low buck,but i take my FEs seriously.i have been running them for 40+ years. i plan on staying small with the nitrous but i know what the possibility's are. thanks for the other replies.i will remember to check the plugs,they should look close to new after a pass is what i heard
It is easy to understand you are offended by the shortblock comment, but maybe....just maybe, you were getting good advice, even if you don't want to hear this advice.

The learning curve is pretty high when it comes to NO2. I have lost count at the number of blown engines at the drag strip, or on the street, by those who were CERTAIN they had all their ducks in a row, only to find out they did not.

There are signs to look for, and sounds to listen for, but it seems many want the set up to be right based more on what they have been told, rather than verifying it is right based on what their tune is telling them....and often comes the boom...at which point the extra shortblock is required.

Timing alterations under spray are critical...get them right and verify they are working properly.
Fuel management is critical under spray....get it right and verify.
When you are at the track attempting to make your run...pay effing attention and stop when it does not sound right.

We have all heard the new NO2 guy in the burnout box with the popping, sputtering, fire out the pipe engine that is screaming "No, it's not right yet, check a few things"
Followed by the starting line sputtering rev and loading of the converter.
Followed by the green light full throttle launch that lasts about 18" with the big underhood fire and subsequent BANG.....and now it is lunch time because the starting line needs to be cleaned and prepped again.

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2021, 09:21:52 AM »
i am running a 125gph electric,with a 100 shot ONLY 100.I WILL NEVER GO ANY HIGHER. im sure i could blow it to kingdom come if i was one of those guys who go for glory,no im not listening to friends.im a big thinker.i will probably tripple check everything before trying it and then i will never hold it on for over 5 seconds with a 100 shot.no the s.a. comment was not good advice.im staying small and it will mostly be used as a scramble button.i may blow all to hell but it wont be from lack of research.i read the nx instructions and tips SEVERAL times already and i will read it again before trying.thanks for reminding me about fuel pressure.i even changed my fuel filters just to make sure of good flow and pressure.i knew ahead of time someone one would say something like i hope you have a spare.that kind of comment usually comes from someone who has never tried nitrous.im not offended ,just disappointing that someone on a quality FE learning site saying that.i have been thinking about trying it for a long time,not just throwing the nitrous at it to see what it will do.im the guy who has already changed his oil 5 times on a 4000 mile FE. FALLGUY,thanks for telling me you made over 200 passes with a 150 shot,now me spraying 100 for no more than 5 seconds at a time.ever once in a while.im guessing a full bottle will last me a year or two or three.if nothing happens.i got in a street race last week with a sbc nova.we stayed side buy side till my big block finally started pullig ahead.if i would of had my nitrous up and running i would have used it as a scramble button to pull way ahead.knock on wood.im 6 for 6 on the local streets with my new motor.but im running other cars of the same caliber.no big dogs,just gt mustangs,camaros etc.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 09:52:08 AM by fryedaddy »
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2021, 09:49:44 AM »
when I did my 416 in 2000 I was planning on a 250 shot , D2 thick wall block with Program cross bolt main caps , even did a 1/2 block fill on a thick wall block :) lol , Ross forged pistons , Eagle rods H Beam (knowing what I know now I would choose a I beam rod ) , never did end up putting a plate system on but I would probably base line with 4 to 6 degrees taking out and maybe slowly put a little timing back after a good plug reading

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2021, 09:54:10 AM »
You can build in as many safeties as you want. Example, a fuel pressure switch that shuts off nitrous, when fuel pressure is below a desired number.  I like the idea of a micro switch on the throttle linkage, then you can “pedal” based on traction, or just getting used to the violence of nitrous oxide power. Also, to consider- timing controls, progressive nitrous controllers.  If precautions are taken, Nitrous is a very fun product.
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

1968galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2021, 12:38:36 PM »
There are always risks when using N2O.
Having a spare short block is not an insulting comment - more on the truthful side.
Should a fuel solenoid fail - pistons will melt and a new short block would be a "good to have".
Many have run low levels of nitrous for many years without issues.
However, there are also many that have had failures of one sort or another that destroyed engine parts.

I agree nitrous is a fun addition - but be aware of the "side effects" Nitrous adverse reactions can sometimes bite the best of us.

Good luck! Cool car too!

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2021, 12:39:07 PM »
>not looking for s.a. comments like this.do you say the same thing to the big dogs shooting for 900-1000 hp?

Yes.  Having worked with a track for 18 years, all you need is that fuel solenoid to not fire or be late and we're mopping up your junk.  If you get lucky you might only be out a carb, maybe an intake and if we find the pieces you can have all of them. Basic cheap kits, 2-3-4-5 stages, sparks out the headers, plugs with no electrodes after a pass - all of that. 

All that to say you best have any amount of spray and the equipment spot on, or you best have a backup plan.  I know a bunch of performance machinists and shops - and to a person, they LOVE nitrous because it brings them business.  Business fixing broken stuff.

100 shot will easily melt piston tops and/or blow the intake off the car if the fuel solenoid mis-fires. I run a 250 GPH pump and would pretty much consider that a minimum for adding spray on the car if tapping off the existing fuel supply.  Or run a separate tank and pump for the nitrous fuel supply. 

The reason I don't use spray right now is that I have other expenses and would not do it - not even a 50 shot - without all the support equipment like bottle heaters, regulators, pressure shutoffs, controller, etc, etc, etc.  Lots of people have fun with the small 50-100 shot kits.  At the same time we've sent more than a couple of cars out the gate on a rollback. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 12:45:42 PM by Falcon67 »

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2021, 01:03:34 PM »
my pistons are supposed to be good up to 300 shot.as i mentioned i will never go over the 100 shot.i have all my grounds wired together so i hope if something goes wrong it will shut everything off.im using a wot switch so if i let off for any reason it will shut off. no 2-3-4 stages no 250 shot.keeping it small and simple as possible.i believe i would have to be a complete idiot to destroy a well built engine with a 100 shot.when i picked my engine up at s&g machine in bristol tn.the first thing larry sneed said was boy that would make a nice nitrous engine.he has drag raced fords for over 50 years with much success and many track records over the years.

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2021, 01:20:02 PM »
From my humble opinion, it looks like you’ve covered your bases well.  100 h.p. kit is not going to hurt anything, maybe the asphalt will feel punished a bit is all. 
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2021, 02:31:09 PM »
I say run the snot outa it. Good fuel delivery,  good electrical supply to solenoids, use good quality relays, do your homework and let er eat..
Have you ran the car hard on all motor and have a good tune? How about traction ? Got your clutch figured out ? Maybe use a timing retard and bring the nitrous in at the 2/3 shift and run it out the back door. Hammer down..
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2021, 03:39:57 PM »
I say run the snot outa it. Good fuel delivery,  good electrical supply to solenoids, use good quality relays, do your homework and let er eat..
Have you ran the car hard on all motor and have a good tune? How about traction ? Got your clutch figured out ? Maybe use a timing retard and bring the nitrous in at the 2/3 shift and run it out the back door. Hammer down..
car hooks good, clutch is fine,you are right i wont need it out of the hole,first gear is wound up as soon as i hit it.ready to shift in about a second or two.i plan on using it in the upper gears.i have been on my 6500 rev limiter many times, 7000 a few times.i keep it as well tuned as i am capable of.i have put 5 or 6 sets of plugs already in a 4000 mile engine.i also had my carb apart 5 or 6 times till i was happy with it.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 03:45:23 PM by fryedaddy »