FE Power Forums > Non-FE Discussion Forum

Alright you hotrods...

<< < (2/9) > >>

65er:
So you're saying sneak up on it. Seems like probably a solid plan since that's pretty much what I need to do anyway.  For setting the drive angles I planned on measuring from the floor to the center of the output shaft before I remove the original tranny and then working with the TKO until I get the same height. That should get me in the right spot, right?

Then I'll be driving it a while and will come back to take care of the rear end and I'll be driving it a while again before doing anything to the motor. So I'm probably just getting way ahead of myself.  I do know the transmission at least and I got the clutch pedal, z-bar and some of the linkage already so maybe it won't be long before I can do something and see how it looks from there instead of torturing myself thinking about it.

Transmission first then worry about the next step...
Ehhh, I don't know if I like that... too reasonable ;-)

My427stang:
Output shaft centerline to floor is perfect if you have the same length transmission/output shaft

If its not the same, the angle wont be the same.  10 dollar angle finders at Sears are pretty handy and all you need is a flat surface before and after.

As far as sneaking up on it, honestly I didnt do it that way, but I knew I wanted a 489FE and exactly what RPM range I wanted it to run in.  So I built the stroker/tranny combo, but then still adjusted later with more gear.

You have been on the fence with engine size and level of performance, so by doing the gear and tranny, you'll get increased performance with each change, then have a solid rpm range to match the biggest engine you are willing to spend on

BTW that tranny is an easy swap, get all the parts and take a long weekend and get it in there!

65er:
On the fence!
Now there's a polite way to say it, lol. Spazzin' out is probably more accurate. Hopefully won't be much longer and I'll have the transmission done and maybe I'll be able to chill out a bit. I appreciate you guys input and am hoping to hear about any traction tips for the three link rear.

jayb:
Most of my cars run obsolete leaf springs in the rear  ;D, so I've never worked with a factory suspension setup like your Galaxie has.  But a good starting point would be to replace the rubber bushings with new ones, or maybe polymer ones, and adjust the shocks differently side to side.  Another alternative might be to put an airbag in the right side spring, and use regular adjustable shocks rather than the air shocks.  For a 12 second car, that ought to be plenty of suspension to get it to hook.

e philpott:
get the 445 Wade , just because you got 500HP doesn't mean you have to use it everytime you drive it , but it will be nice having it when you need it .... if you settle for 400hp then you'll be "just hanging" with some lady in a new 6.0 Escalade instead of smoking her off the road ... DON'T SISSY OUT , your not going to be smoking the tire everytime you nail it with 500HP , might as well make the "XL500"  stand for something (like horse power for your chevy buddies)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version