Author Topic: My 1966 F100 Short Bed Re-Power 2020 Raptor Crate Engine with 10spd Auto  (Read 7145 times)

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Same truck as with the 482 FE but now with Raptor 450/510 Crate engine and 10R80 Auto.

I thought a few might want to see the conversion.

I already have 2 FE powered '66 Trucks plus a fresh 393 FE for another '66 on engine stand plus 2 391 FT powered big trucks. Too boring to have them all same engine family.

Quickie vid of first test drive just around the yard prior to installing front clip.

Front clip on now.

With TUNE ONLY on E50 I am shooting for 600/600 at tire. (Using 7th gear which is 1 to 1)  Lofty goal yes but I think I can hit that number and still get 25 mpg @ 60-65 MPH.

Building this as a long distance cruiser with 900 Mile cruise range on single fill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dfMiHgBFM0
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 05:28:19 AM by TimeWarpF100 »

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
What a great installation!  Does the ECU control the transmission as well as the engine? 
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

gregaba

• View Profile
That is a really nice truck.
I just don't care for the looks of the modern engines much.
I bet you will like it a lot when you get it on the road and drive it a while.
Greg

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
What a great installation!  Does the ECU control the transmission as well as the engine?

Thanks!

This version has separate PCM for transmission. Stock FoMoCO.  Later versions have engine/trans same pcm

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
That is a really nice truck.
I just don't care for the looks of the modern engines much.
I bet you will like it a lot when you get it on the road and drive it a while.
Greg

Thanks!

It was hard to beat the 482" FE in the looks and sound department but having 10 Different 65-66 Trucks I simply did not want FE's in all of them. This is my long distance cruiser and it had to have very long range between fill ups and quiet and smooth with excellent power and MPG.  At a total cost far far less than a decent FE deal with overdrive etc.

Pretty hard to get this much power/torque from a FE anywhere near the cost.

It would have to be one very serious FE and Big$ to make 600 RWHP 600+ RWTQ much less 600 TQ by 3500 rpm

It will cost me a BUNCH more $$ just to build a very basic 393 FE, add overdrive etc than this package did.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 10:17:08 AM by TimeWarpF100 »

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Quick video from today. Full walk around with engine running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I7K7AEHUbU

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
Oh man that is so cool!!  I love the attention to detail.  That will be so great to drive  :)
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

TomP

• View Profile
Beautiful job of the dash and engine compartment getting all that stuff to fit in. Aren't these newfangled trannies all electronic shifting,  lever on the side of the tranny? If so what did you do to be able to use the stock column shifter?

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Oh man that is so cool!!  I love the attention to detail.  That will be so great to drive  :)

Thanks much! This should be a fun long distance hauler and local daily driver.

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Beautiful job of the dash and engine compartment getting all that stuff to fit in. Aren't these newfangled trannies all electronic shifting,  lever on the side of the tranny? If so what did you do to be able to use the stock column shifter?

Thanks much Tom!

It was originally cable shift. Lever on trans. I just made a rod very similar to the stock '66 shift rod. Works great!

P R N D M are only selections. I have a + - button for manual mode. I also have Select mode button for Towing, Economy, Sport (it will keep turbos spooled for track days)  It does have a TCM mounted to the frame. Stock on this model. newer once got PCM doing same job. Made my own harness for all this to work. So far so good. Still need to install the TPMS sensors in wheels so I can monitor that too.

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Took it down to next side street just to make sure the trans shifted proper and to see how it felt. Had power steering line leak got it solved but bunch of air in system now gotta bleed itself out. 

Of into the Arizona Sunset!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD6mAH7kDhc

Gregwill16

• View Profile
That is a beautiful truck. Great job!

allrightmike

• View Profile
Engine looks like it grew there! Had a new Lightning in 2020 and your installation reminds me of that. The Lightning was the only vehicle I regret selling. Nice, nice, nice job!
Mike.

cammerfe

• View Profile
Where did you find that new truck that looks like a '66? Sitting in the back at some dealer with a tarp over it? ;D

KS

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
That is a beautiful truck. Great job!

Thanks Much!

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Engine looks like it grew there! Had a new Lightning in 2020 and your installation reminds me of that. The Lightning was the only vehicle I regret selling. Nice, nice, nice job!
Mike.

Thanks!

Pretty sure over last year or so the engine pretty much grew there on its own!
Tomorrow I will load the base Raptor Tune as current tune is base F150 3.5.
Finish up a bit of wiring then I can start putting miles on it prob 500 or so before extended WOT, make sure it's all functioning properly then drop in the dragy for some performance stats.
Once I get the 91 octane tune finalized I can start on the E50 tune and see where it goes from there. Goal would be to go 900 miles on a single fill of E50 but that may be pushing my luck a bit.

Was your lightning the SC 5.0? I wanted to buy or build one of them. Did you ever go to strip or dyno?

Trying to get a idea what this may run on E50. Thinking a low 11 around 125 is possible with a 100 mph in 1/8

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Where did you find that new truck that looks like a '66? Sitting in the back at some dealer with a tarp over it? ;D

KS

Weird thing happened. 21 1/3 yrs ago I bought a 1971 F100 short bed for 2700.00 then traded it for this truck AND he gave me 2800.00 So I was into it for
-100.00 from there it took a few years but instead of deteriorating it slowly approved each year if I drove it or not!

Since then I have 9 more '66 trucks hoping the same happens to all of them . . Eventually I will have 10 1966 trucks that all turn to new.

Quite the concept and quite unusual I suppose?

cammerfe

• View Profile
Must be why they call you 'Timewarp'! :)

KS

winr1

Very nice merge of old an new ..

All ya stuff turns out great

What mufflers if I may ask ??

Ricky.

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Must be why they call you 'Timewarp'! :)

KS

;D ;D ;D Pretty sure that's where the name started from!

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Very nice merge of old an new ..

All ya stuff turns out great

What mufflers if I may ask ??

Ricky.

Thanks! Mufflers are DynoMax Ultra Flow Stainless Round 3"   System all 304 Stainless in 3" with large 3" H pipe style right behind cats.

It was quite loud with the 482 but very good sound. I suppose the Turbo's & Cats helped tone it down. I have not seen anyone do similar on a v6 and it sounded so good, spent a small fortune on Stainless so figured why not keep it the same for the 213 cu in power plant.

Here is short vid what the 482 sounded like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-nC1B3WxMM

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Another vid of the 482 1st test drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SunGDCYUoME

This vid is complete exhaust as built. For this engine only change is I did a 45 on tailpipes to clear the new 27 gallon fuel tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npZDMwMClTc
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 10:49:37 AM by TimeWarpF100 »

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile

winr1

Thanks for the ride  :)

I'm a bit partial to the 482/s exhaust tone  ;D

Ricky.

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
Very Very Slick! How is the power and feel so far?
What paint Single Stage or Base and Clear? Looks better than new! Even the chrome!

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Thanks for the ride  :)

I'm a bit partial to the 482/s exhaust tone  ;D

Ricky.

It did sound good!
Just not ideal for those out of state drives or the planned lower 48state trip!

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Very Very Slick! How is the power and feel so far?
What paint Single Stage or Base and Clear? Looks better than new! Even the chrome!

Low rpm power is unreal even though not building much for boost. Forgot to tighten clamps on tunes from turbos to intercooler! Only 9.5 miles so far. Test drive I had no lights of any kind.

Doing up harnesses for that now. Hoping I can start piling on the miles by next weekend.

Outside of truck is PPG 2 stage. Bottom side is PPG single stage. Still needs sand n buff once it’s all complete.

Quite a few llooonnnggg weekends in it now!

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Looks like 500 RWHP and 25 MPG is possible. At least if it's kept under 60 MPH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3Vj9KOe5gM

cjshaker

• View Profile

That is just an awesome truck. Can't say I like all the junk under the hood, but having a modern drivetrain would be nice for a long haul driver. I imagine the truck is probably at least half a ton lighter than its modern counterpart, so that certainly helps with mileage. The dash gauges, while being modern, still don't look bad in there either. You, sir, have one hell of a nice truck!
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile

That is just an awesome truck. Can't say I like all the junk under the hood, but having a modern drivetrain would be nice for a long haul driver. I imagine the truck is probably at least half a ton lighter than its modern counterpart, so that certainly helps with mileage. The dash gauges, while being modern, still don't look bad in there either. You, sir, have one hell of a nice truck!

Thanks Doug!

Since I already have 3 1966 Trucks that are FE powered and 2 1966 Trucks that are FT powered for what I wanted in a long distance driver with little to no maintenance a FE was just too costly to do especially at this HP level.  I should easily be able to go from Phoenix to Southern California and back home on a tank of fuel. Yesterday I was out driving and had forgot to hook up the electric fans and temp never got over 176 deg. Hottest days of year now with 116 today and 118 forcast for Thursday and Friday.

Underhood is a little busy yeah but if anything goes wrong I can go to about any dealer in country for off the shelf parts.

Not only that but it was a HUGE Challenge to get this done and make it all work. Intention was a 1966 Truck I could take on a Lower 48 state trip with hopefully minimum issues and reasonable on gas. 4x the cost if I had done so with the 482. 

Modern stuff is nice for daily driver but the cost of depreciation alone for just a year or 2 tops paid for this entire job! At a fraction of cost of what a same power FE would be.

My other daily driver is a 1966 F100   with a 352 and  3 spd OD good truck but getting a bit weathered. Building a clone of my dad's out of this one. I have a very basic .020 390 with proper machine work on engine stand ready to go together. The current engine will go in yet another '66 F100 or F250.

With 10 1965-66 trucks all told can't make em all FE's

I also have another 1966 F100 Ranger 352 Factory OD but it's scattered all over shop all apart.

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Re: My 1966 F100 Short Bed Re-Power 2020 Raptor Crate Engine with 10spd Auto
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2021, 11:00:46 PM »
Over last 30 days I now have working A/C, PATS, TPMS and a few more features.

Now it's time to get back on my FE projects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7bu0pm2D-4

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2021, 08:42:31 AM »
Beautiful work !

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2021, 03:16:23 PM »
No wonder you cant find alot of 65/66 trucks out there Time Warp has them all!!. Very nice work.

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2021, 08:37:58 PM »
No wonder you cant find alot of 65/66 trucks out there Time Warp has them all!!. Very nice work.

HA!  Thanks! Just finishing up a few last touches on this one.

I currently have 2 FE powered '66 Trucks in the works. Fresh build started assy on the all new FE today.

2 FT powered '66 trucks in the works too!

Latest video on the Raptor powered 10 speed truck. 2500 trouble free miles so far.

Took it to a large show saturday and it was 250+ vehicles. not sure how but pulled off the "Best Paint" award!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RihZpIdB1Cw

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
After 23+ yrs of ownership I decided to let this truck go so I can continue on others as retiring in 2 1/2 months from now.

9500 Fantastic miles and pretty much meeting all the goals I set for it or hoped that it would do.

600 rear wheel hp  (603)
600 rear wheel tq  (658)  these were on base E50 Tune
25 mpg which it did on 91
20 mpg on E50
1000 miles on a tank of fuel
100 mph in the 1/8

In braking department it would go 60-0 in under 3 seconds!

Ran it thru Mecum auction April first.  Great April Fools joke for those saying it would never bring more than 29k

With buyer premium it sold for $165k which was a world record for a stock suspension 61-66 truck and tied the record for all time 61-66 Trucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8Z9Ckpp7os

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Starting this week I can finally get back on my FE projects

Have my 1966 F100 Ranger cab on the rotisserie, the chassis is complete
stock 352 with factory OverDrive

I have a Fresh 393 FE on stand that is going in clone of truck my dad bought new

My daily driver is another stock AZ since new 1966 F100 with a 352 and 3spd OverDrive

Still have 2 big trucks with FT power.

Stangman

• View Profile
Nice that was a beautiful truck.

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2024, 12:55:02 AM »
My 1966 F100R re-sold for 300k!

https://youtu.be/QHVXIH7C4zM?feature=shared