Author Topic: More tool junky  (Read 8052 times)

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
More tool junky
« on: November 05, 2013, 06:25:16 PM »

NewFalconOwner

Re: More tool junky
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 06:45:07 PM »

what is it?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 07:48:51 PM by NewFalconOwner »

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 07:53:19 PM »
Looks like an electric furnace for melting aluminum or some other metal.  I've got a small propane version that can melt up to about 5 pounds of aluminum in a crucible.  Too bad intakes are heavier than that  ;D
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 08:12:01 PM »
Knew you pick this one off no problem.
It's a Johnson Gas Appliance F900.
It burns propane and will do a small alum cast. Will take a #16 crucible.
It's fully tooled with tongs, pouring ladle and 8 crucibles. A couple of casting forums and still have some old sand.
I've cast a few odd things over the years, got plan to cast a couple of odd Mustang grill ornaments. ;D
I use to have a F950 but sold it to a sign maker.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 08:56:01 PM »
A couple of pals and I used to have more fun casting aluminum parts in the dead of Minnesota winter.  There's just something really primitive about standing outside when its zero degrees, pouring molten aluminum from a crucible into a mold that you designed and rammed up yourself.  We did a bunch of model airplane parts, a sword for my son, some eagles to go on top of a flagpole, etc.  The molten aluminum would overflow the mold sometimes and run down the driveway, melting the snow as it went, creating all kinds of steam, people running to get out of the way of the metal; what a ruckus!  We used Petrobond sand for the most part, but once a friend of mine tried green sand, and it was too wet, and the mold practically exploded when he started the pour and that molten metal hit the moisture in the sand.  We'd all holler "Nice Pour!" when the guy with the crucible did a good job of flowing the aluminum smoothly into the mold.  And breaking the casting out of the sand after it cooled was the best part.  Followed by some adult beverages, of course... 8)
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 09:12:11 PM »
Sounds a lot like us yahoo's in Nova Scotia.  ::)
It is a really fun toy to play with, that's for sure.
Yes too wet and it can be quite a show.
I'll have to dig out the piece that got me started with this hobby. :D

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 08:01:49 AM »
Nice Score: If your planning on doing some Mustang Emblems how about doing some fender 67-68 Running Pony's w/ 427 and 428s rather then the typical 289, 302 and not so typical 390s!
The 427s would be worth it for the "W" code crowd.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 02:19:19 PM »
Im also cast parts now and then.
I learned to do it at a old foundry
in Finland in the 70s Before they
was to tear it down.
One of many things i regret i dont
took Pictures of during the years .
The whole floor in the foundry was
covered with about a feet of sand
so you just shoveled up some of the
floor :o. to make the molds.
They had made artilery grenades and bombs
for the Germans during the war
I still have a bunch of german detonators i picked
up from the junk heap behind the foundry
I wanted to bring some empty bomb shels with me
but my dad dont thought it was a good idea
to try to take them across the border ::) ::)

About the emblems my sister is a Jeweler
and some times she had made emblems
in silver or gold for cars
last time i Think it was for a Thunderbird
so if you want a real nice emblem
Contact a jeweler and get a price qoute
its not that expensive and you get a real
nice finnish on them

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

lovehamr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 09:34:25 AM »
Heo, normally I wouldn't comment on someone's scavenger hunt but you mentioned a bunch of detonators.  If we're on the same page language wise, those are some exceptionally dangerious pieces to have around.  My suggestion would be to call the closest bomb squad and get them to pick the detonators up for disposal.

Now before someone goes off the deep end, I spent 20 years as a military policeman and firearms instructor and now I'm a DHS instructor.  I've seen a lot of explosives in my time and dealt with EOD a huge amount.  My oldest son is USAF EOD even.  And I can tell you that detonators are (many times) more dangerous than bulk explosives themselves.  I'd get them removed by a professional ASAP.

Steve

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 11:14:21 AM »
If you can't cook bacon in it, then I really see no useful purpose for it ;D
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 12:21:04 PM »
If you can't cook bacon in it, then I really see no useful purpose for it ;D

You could roast the whole piggy over it. mmmmm,,,,

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 01:45:16 PM »
Heo, normally I wouldn't comment on someone's scavenger hunt but you mentioned a bunch of detonators.  If we're on the same page language wise, those are some exceptionally dangerious pieces to have around.  My suggestion would be to call the closest bomb squad and get them to pick the detonators up for disposal.

Now before someone goes off the deep end, I spent 20 years as a military policeman and firearms instructor and now I'm a DHS instructor.  I've seen a lot of explosives in my time and dealt with EOD a huge amount.  My oldest son is USAF EOD even.  And I can tell you that detonators are (many times) more dangerous than bulk explosives themselves.  I'd get them removed by a professional ASAP.

Steve
Yes i know old explosives are dangerous and i dont want to play around with them
But the detonators are empty they had saved them for aluminium scrap
to melt down i dont think they had thrown then in the Owen if they were explosive ;D ;D

But there was two guys a couple of years ago in the same Town where the foundry was.
 That had found a bunchof hiden weapons and among them lots of artillery Shells
.And Blew up the garage and them selfs to.
 The bomb squad found 30-40 Shells spread around the house
They still find hiden weapons in Finland every year when they tear down old houses
and so on

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

lovehamr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 08:26:23 PM »
It's cool Heo, I just had to mention it.  BTW, the Finns make some of the best weapons in the world.  I own a Sako TRG 41 and I love that thing!

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 09:07:58 PM »
Yes i know i live just 30 miles from the finnish border
and have a lot of relatives there
TRG41 Its the sniper rifle in 338 lapua magnum??
The only finnish weapon i owned was a Lahti 9mm
pistol but i got an offer i couldent refuse for it ::) ::)

country63sedan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2013, 04:17:57 PM »
I'll play..... This is an older model, but EVERYONE here has at least one of these. It's two and a half inches long by one half on the small end and about three quarters on the big end.

It's not remotely related to ammunition.

On the casting furnace- one of the guys at work built his own, but used a wood fire with a leaf blower for air supply (crude, but effective). Shortly after he built it, I moved into my current house. This house still had plenty of coal left in the old coal room. I brought my buddy a pickup load of coal to burn in this thing, and the neighbors still scowl at me when they see my truck. ::) Later, Travis