Author Topic: Valve to bore clearance...........  (Read 1903 times)

Tommy A

• View Profile
Valve to bore clearance...........
« on: March 02, 2019, 11:45:44 AM »
Motor is 428 @ 4.160 bore, has not been honed for pistons yet, with head on block with exh. valve pushed till retainer hit the guide there is .020 clearance between the valve and bore. The heads are Edelbrock 6005 with 1.750 exh. valves. Our question is will it work like this or should we take a little off the valve. I'm helping a friend and we want the motor to run good. It will be a 462 stroker any thoughts, Blair,Brent , anyone..........Thanks.............Tom

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Valve to bore clearance...........
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 12:39:53 PM »
I typically see about .700-.800" retainer to seal clearance on an FE head with 1.850-1.900" install height.  If you're pushing the valve down until the retainer hits a bare guide, then you will probably have a little more than that. 

If you're not planning to run a camshaft with lift approaching those kinds of numbers, then you shouldn't have any problem that I can think of right now.  I will say that I don't think I've ever ran an exhaust valve that large on a 428 bore though.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Tommy A

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 08:05:32 PM »
Brent, if we go with door #1 the lift is .700/.688  Do you think that .020 is enough valve to bore clearance???  Thanks....Tom

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 09:41:55 PM »
That .700 is gross?  If so you will gain a little with lash and a little more with deflection.  But you will lose some of that in operation because the valve kinda "corkscrews" down the hole.  Are you checking with a head gasket in place?  That makes a bigger difference than you would expect.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 06:27:39 AM »
How much room do you have between the retainer and guide with the valve shut?  And is the seal on it?
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

jems68

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 08:05:20 PM »
Hey Tommy, I have run that exact set up with Edelbrock heads that have 2.25 intake and 1.75 exhaust valves on a 4.160 bore 428 block with 4.250 stroke. My cam has a .572 lift. The car has been to three Hot Rod Drag Weeks and the motor has been in the car for seven years. Things are close but so far I have had no problems

Tommy A

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 09:19:59 PM »
Mr.Jack, I did talk with you about that @ DW2017 down @ Cordova, I guess its a go!!  Hopefully You can get the new heads figured out for the mustang...Good luck.............Tom