Author Topic: Mallory parts book information  (Read 3128 times)

TomP

• View Profile
Re: Mallory parts book information
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2020, 09:43:17 PM »
I ran one on my Fairlane with the crab cap before cutting it down to a crank trigger with a big Ford cap. I have another to run in my next engine and those parts were readily available 15 years ago and i suspect still are. Standard/Blue Streak had tan crab caps and rotors. It also looks suspiciously like the stock old Flathead Ford parts. I would imagine that is what Mallory used to make their crab cap Marine YL's.

I can get you the part numbers off the caps and rotors i have  but that box is way buried behind my 427 and a bunch of other stuff.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2020, 06:37:27 AM »
Thanks Tom.

I have a rotor coming, along with a cap.  The points should be generic stuff.  So, I think I have it covered besides remaking the post to better measurements.
Larry

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2020, 06:06:28 AM »
My rotor showed up, so I spent Friday afternoon putting the distributor in the car.  Having to unbolt the blower and swing it around isn't a real big deal, just a PITA.  Checked for #1 TDC, swapped them and put it all back together, reached in and turned the key and it lit right off.  Wow!!!  Only issue is I couldn't advance it enough because the tach drive hits the intake.  I had the same issue with the wagon decades ago.  So I pulled the distributor and ground on the plug a bit and retried it.  Nope, not enough.  Ugh.  One more time and this time I ground on the intake.....being very cautious as to not hit water!!!  Worked much better but still not quite enough as I can only get about 10* initial and I want a touch more. I'm trying to get about 34* total like I had before so I may need to adjust the arms to reduce mechanical advance.  I don't like a bunch of total with the blower since I don't have any boost retard AND just 1968 cast pistons!  Safety first.

I need to order another tach cable that is more to the length I want.  The one I do have has wrong drive end, the other I have is like 3 ft too long and don't want it wrapped all over the engine compartment.  I found a place online in Denver that can do it.  When I did the wagon 25:yrs ago, the local Mack dealer had all the tools to make cables.  Today, not so much.

Only other detail is remaking the plug wires to fit better with the crab cap.  They are a bit long now.  That along with my buddy to punch me out a new tach mount from some aluminum so I can get it mounted.
Larry

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2020, 06:47:08 AM »
Took the car out for a Saturday night cruise session.  Ran perfect, idles nice, starts easy.  It was a big hit, like usual.

Talked with friend about making the tach mount, so we'll get on that soon.   Glad to have it back on the road, but the only drawback is having every ricer in town chase me down wanting to race.  Ugh.
Larry

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2020, 10:28:12 PM »
Some of those ricers are surprisingly quick. But the usual fart-can-equipped excuse will be nicely embarrassed by putting 150 jets in the spray system on my Lincoln. You should at least give them enough of a first gear to teach them a bit of humility. ;)

KS