Author Topic: FE Intake Adapter  (Read 327436 times)

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: FE Intake Adapter
« Reply #165 on: June 04, 2013, 08:39:33 PM »
The white looks terrible. I've seen some aluminum parts, automotive and non-automotive, in the past that had the same hue but I don't know what process caused it and failed to ask.   
Bob Maag

68fecyclone

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 04, 2013, 09:16:36 PM »
   That looks like our tanker trucks after many washings with the acid that the wash guys use. It will eventually turn a polished wheel to a dull white color.  Doesn't look to good, but will remove just about any thing that will discolor or stick to aluminum. My opinion is, I would rather have the dark finish, then the white color when the time comes to get one, and I do want one or two of those. :)  Rob

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 04, 2013, 09:56:35 PM »
Sorry to out your surprises  :)

Bead blasting is great for appearance, but I've realized two things. First, the glass beading has to be clean or the discolored impurities will get embedded in the aluminum and cause the finish to be off. Washing won't remove it either. Second, it has to be thoroughly, completely and utterly scrubbed to guarantee that no beading has been left behind.

Given the smoother nature of shot, it doesn't carry the risk of embedding and can easily be blown out and washed off. It just doesn't leave the bright sparkly finish. Either way looks good though. In my opinion your raw casting looks like magnesium. It looks good, just not quite what people want in an intake.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #168 on: June 04, 2013, 10:09:23 PM »
Bead blasting is great for appearance, but I've realized two things. First, the glass beading has to be clean or the discolored impurities will get embedded in the aluminum and cause the finish to be off. Washing won't remove it either. Second, it has to be thoroughly, completely and utterly scrubbed to guarantee that no beading has been left behind.

I'm not too worried about leaving a glass bead residue on the manifold castings.  For one thing, that is usually found to be a problem in a normal intake with runner passages that aren't easily accessible, and may contain grease or oil residue that could cause the beads to stick to it and come off later.  Since this is a brand new casting, and every hole is completely accessible for cleaning after the glass beading process, that problem won't exist.  Second, after glass beading the manifold will spend about six hours in the CNC machine, where it will be constantly soaked with coolant while all the machining operations are going on.  If the intakes are glass beaded, there sure won't be any glass beads left after the machining operation.

Having said that, I think I'm going to try various media besides glass beads to clean up these castings.  Maybe stainless steel shot or some of that black media would work as well or better than the glass beads.  We will see...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 05, 2013, 05:30:45 AM »
Jay, if the black media your refering is a slag, it will leave a very ruff surface. Just a thought , how about walnut shells? I`ve seen manifolds blasted with the shells and it looks like the finish your looking for. No residue to imbed in the aluimium either.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 05, 2013, 09:06:56 AM »
A good point about the super short runner length and machining process and constant washing.

The drawback to walnut shells is the durability of the media. It breaks down very quickly. It is excellent for doing sheetmetal because of the lack of heat and warping tendancy of the other medias. I think steel shot will probably end up being Jays most cost effective route while still producing acceptable results.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 05, 2013, 08:39:36 PM »
Here's what a steel shot finish looks like on aluminum (Top of picture):

I CNC'd some intake adapters for a customer, and he went the steel shot route.

A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #172 on: June 05, 2013, 10:01:23 PM »
Thanks for the pics Bill.  Did you do the shot blasting yourself, or have that done by somebody else?  Nice machine work, by the way...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 06, 2013, 11:28:18 AM »
Hi Jay -

The customer did the blasting with stainless steel shot, in a standard blast cabinet.  I was a bit sad to see my nice machined parts blasted, but he wanted everything to match the manifold. 

This could be a viable option for your adapters.

- Bill
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

Cyclone03

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 06, 2013, 06:51:33 PM »
Was it the lack of a blasting step after heat treat that gave the Weiand and Offenhouser Manifolds thier look back in the old days ('80's LOL)?
Edelbrock intakes always LOOKED nicer hanging on the wall.
Lance H

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #175 on: June 09, 2013, 09:24:17 PM »
More progress this week, and in fact the machining operations are done, save the CNC port work.  Also this week I had to develop a machining program to cut the bottom of the 351C intake, so that it would fit on my adapter.  Here's a photo of the Edelbrock RPM intake in my smaller CNC machine, in the process of being cut, and another photo showing the modified manifold from a top view:

And here's a picture of the nearly completed intake adapter bolted by itself on the engine, and also a couple of shots of the 351C intake on top:

I still haven't finish machined the intake adapter flanges; I've been having some trouble getting the face mill to give me the right finish, so I have to work on that this week.  Also I need to write the CNC porting programs and try them out; there will likely be some adjustments required there, after this first manifold is completed.  But overall things are going reasonably well.  Also this week I got together with a friend of mine who happened to have several different types of blasting media available, and also some of that Alumi-brite chemical, and we ran some tests on one of the manifolds.  The Alumi-brite gave the same finish as the manifold I had previously had dipped, so I'm not going to go that route.  For blasting we used some media called Black Diamond, which got the aluminum color back to the manifolds but left them looking more stockish rather than bright like the Edelbrock manifolds.  We also tried something he had there called cut glass, and that got a little brighter, but the medium glass beads he had gave the best results.  I have ordered some #4 glass beads from a blasting supplier and those should be here this week; we'll see how the manifolds look after that.  I also got some stainless steel shot this week to try out, but it turns out that it is too heavy to be used in my siphon type blast cabinet, so I will have to find someone with a pressure pot cabinet to try that out.  But based on the results from these tests, I'm confident that I can get a good finish on the manifolds with some blasting work.  I also think I have a local guy lined up who can do it; it will add some cost to the manifolds, but probably only $20 or so.

At this point I am hopeful that by the end of next weekend I will have the machining procedures finished for the base casting, and can start machining a second manifold that will be usable on an engine.  Also I need to get the machining programs written for the access hole cover, and for the road draft hole cover.  At this point I think I can have the first usable intake finished in two more weeks.  I'm looking forward to some dyno testing with one of these things  :)
Jay Brown

bartlett

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 09, 2013, 09:40:12 PM »
LOOKS WICKED !  cant wait to see some dyno pulls ...hopefully I can afford one !

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 10, 2013, 06:17:23 AM »
I can see that the adapter is perfect for my purpose
I just have to make some short 45 deg. runners
to  instal the throtle bodys

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

mmason

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 10, 2013, 06:50:42 AM »
Jay, what is the carburetor flange height of this set up compared to the flange height of a FE RPM manifold?

Michael
Michael Mason

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #179 on: June 10, 2013, 07:10:53 PM »
Good question!  Front carb height (Dimension A as defined by Edelbrock) for this setup is 5.875", and rear carb height (Dimension B) is 7.5".  The FE Performer RPM is lower, at 4.875" and 6.0".  From these dimensions the 351C manifold also appears to have a more pronounced slope to the carb pad than the FE Performer RPM.

As I get the Torker II and other manifolds modified to fit I will post those measurements also.
Jay Brown