Author Topic: road test - track test , front end alignment  (Read 1118 times)

gdaddy01

• View Profile
road test - track test , front end alignment
« on: April 22, 2018, 08:43:43 PM »
just wondering , does the alignment need to change on a all street car compared to a car that is ran on power tour or other street - strip combo .  you guys that run 130 to   150 mph on the strip and then drive on the road to next race tell any difference in camber or caster out on the open road ?

thatdarncat

• View Profile
Re: road test - track test , front end alignment
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 01:31:08 PM »
Usually for drag racing extra positive caster is added over the stock settings, it helps keep the car tracking straight on the strip at high speed. My car isn't overly fast, but I haven't experienced any issues driving it on the street with the extra caster. I'm not an expert on this by any means, but for camber we usually try to watch how the wheels & tires are going to look through their suspension travel, as far as staying somewhat straight up & down. Some cars going down the track under power  keep kind of a nose up attitude, others settle down, it just kind of depends on your suspension & shocks. You want to observe your car under power and take that into consideration when doing the alignment so it remains stable even if the front is a little higher than it would be going down the road at cruise. It's a compromise sometimes.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V