Author Topic: Who sells Oil Pump Screen material  (Read 1602 times)

dozz302

• View Profile
Who sells Oil Pump Screen material
« on: March 06, 2021, 05:48:25 PM »
Just wondering who sells just the screen . I have an old Moroso pick up that the screen is ripped on. Want to replace the screen material. One thing that puzzles me is how it ripped to begin with. The motor broke a rod many moons ago but how did the screen rip?? Thanks
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 05:50:06 PM by dozz302 »

fastf67

• View Profile
Re: Who sells Oil Pump Screen material
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 05:13:02 AM »
mcmaster-Carr
small particle filtering stainless steel wire cloth is what i used last time i built a oil pick up. You can get it down to any micron you want. Recommend you use stainless as i did and worked out nice. 12"x12" piece was like 10 bucks if I remember correctly. Mike

allrightmike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 03:53:10 PM »
   I wish McMaster-Carr ran the country, what an organization!!

dozz302

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 07:48:11 PM »
Great info, Thanks

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 01:55:55 PM »
Don't use too fine! It is not better. Too fine and the oil won't even flow through it. Had the same issue with an Oberg remote filter. I think the finer mesh is meant for gas, not oil.

fastf67

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 05:40:05 AM »
Guess I could have gave more detail.
You need to be pushing mid to upper hundreds in microns. Pick up screens are large debris filter screens only. Screw on filters are like 20 microns I think. 500 micron is 0.0196 in thousands. I talk to them and think I got around 750 screen or so. I wanted it to flow and low drag on components. To small is hard on dizzy gears and roll pins. HAHA I personally was not worried about being to big in my drag car, if the engine started to come apart there was bigger problems and the pick up screen was useless anyway. I always cut my wix filters open to see bearing life back then. Mike