Author Topic: Swan amongst the ducklings...  (Read 3058 times)

mlcraven

• View Profile
Swan amongst the ducklings...
« on: April 18, 2015, 03:04:14 PM »
Car show season has begun in Tidewater.  Was wandering through a nearby show sponsored by the local Chevy club and came across this parked off to one side of endless rows of Camaros, Novas, Tri-Fives and Chevelles.

A 390 4-speed GT car.

Reminds me of me, showing some wear and tear but aging gracefully and still happy to be seen in in public. 

I love finding these old warriors relaxing in the sunshine on a fine  spring day. 

Michael

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
Re: Swan amongst the ducklings...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 09:44:04 AM »
No engine badges?................... I presume the scoop is an add-on for a 390 of that year?..............

mlcraven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 10:36:12 PM »
It has the 390 badges on the front fenders forward of the wheelwells...just not visible given the angle of the photo and use of a wide-angle lens. I am not very knowledgeable about how the 68-69 intermedite fastbacks were optioned and therefore can't comment on the scoop.

IMHO these cars were a design triumph for Ford, both as fastbacks and coupes. Have always heard that the fastbacks were, in part, a response to the need for an aero advantage on the super speedways (althought that may just have been a ploy by Ford advertising types)
Michael

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 06:18:01 AM »
IMHO these cars were a design triumph for Ford, both as fastbacks and coupes. Have always heard that the fastbacks were, in part, a response to the need for an aero advantage on the super speedways (althought that may just have been a ploy by Ford advertising types)
[/quote]

Yes, in that era, Ford did indeed design cars with an eye for aero advantage. Both the Fords and Mercs (see link) shared very similar roof/trunk/rearend designs. On the nose, they weren't exactly the same yet shared the 'filled-out' grille. I have a NASCAR book that states Ford used their wind tunnel extensively to flow various car shapes until they were satisfied with the needed aero. Note too that making the grille area almost flush with the bumper (for the street, the real race cars actually had the grille 100% flush!) the car was even slicker.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mercury+NASCAR&rlz=1T4GGHP_enUS533US533&biw=1097&bih=494&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=TdM4VdaqJ_aLsQScloCQBQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Later, the famed Talladega long-nosed Ford (Spoiler II for the Mercs) came about due to this earlier testing. Ford apparently had this unique limited production car's nose figured out long before it was introduced and made available for sale. They were waiting until they actually needed it and then quickly got NASCAR approval.  'Course, this move directly lead to Chrysler protesting the limited availability issue and motivating them to bring out the equally famed wing cars, like the Daytona Charger! 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 06:23:42 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 06:53:32 AM »
A year earlier, but a great pic.
Merc/Ford Leading
Penta following
and the chev smoking :D

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 06:57:43 PM »
That photo right there is back when I loved NASCAR racing.  I know there's an older photo somewhere showing Junior Johnson (I think) raising the hood of his Olds on the backstretch at Talledega to see what was up.  Those guys had a set, pure fun to watch.
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick