Author Topic: Summit racing efi  (Read 2936 times)

bushwackr

• View Profile
Summit racing efi
« on: February 24, 2018, 08:46:56 AM »
Hello. I am going to be running efi on my 390 but I have a couple questions. Has anyone used the summit branded efi system, I like the single fuel line, I already have a walbro pump in tank and a return type fuel filter so the 58lb fuel pressure is taken care of.  I have read that some efi doesn't like dual plane manifolds, has anyone had an issue

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: Summit racing efi
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 09:38:36 AM »
A couple of things, I read of a guy fighting a dual plane intake on FordMuscle, I do not see how that can happen and have never seen it happen on a bunch of TB installs, he also made some other changes after he blamed the intake.  That being said, if there was an issue, add a 1/2 or 1 inch open spacer

That system though, seems like a FAST copy, or Summit branded FAST.  So far the FAST hasn't turned out to be as good at learning as some of the other ones and has very limited programming.  Not to mention it is pretty expensive compared to the Sniper and FITech.  My next one will likely be an FITech with an in tank pump on my F100.

Of course this one could be completely different than a FAST in programming and tuning, but leery of diving into something nobody is using yet and paying more money for it.

One thing I tend to preach, look close before you start the conversion on where you plan to put the coolant sensor.  I don't love how I would have to do it on an RPM, no real nice area to add a bung, and I don't like the idea of losing my heater or putting my gauge on the cold side of the thermostat.  However, many do, and every manifold is different.  My Victor had plenty of room to add a bung next to the temp gauge sender.

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 12:47:46 PM »
When Holley first announced their TB EFI, I called them and had an extended discussion with them regarding possible use on a dual-quad Ford FE manifold. That first discussion told me they were several months out on having a compatible system. Then they told me that part of the program had been shelved.

I was writing for Super Ford Magazine at the time and offered to do the development work. The result was that we did the very first such installation---on a MR dual-plane manifold in the 427 MR in Brother Lon's '67 Mustang. We first got it running, by somewhat of trial and error, and then made it pretty. It ended with Lon's Mustang being the cover car with an extended article on the EFI development as well.

The dual-plane didn't seem to cause any problems at all. The car was significantly more drivable and gained in the mid-range substantially. Based on our tests, using an accelerometer, the gains were very worthwhile.

KS

bushwackr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 02:37:59 PM »
Ok I was looking at the fitech units but they tell me that they will not work properly with a returnless fuel system. I don't see why as long as I supply the right psi what's the diff if I don't use there regulator

bushwackr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 02:39:03 PM »
I have the heated spacer to use underneath the tb so that should be the inch spacer

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 05:07:16 PM »
I use an SDS computer from Western Motorsports in Canada. Works well is port injection, easy to tune. I also used a return system, reason even though it is set at 42 psi at the rail, it is still way more volume than the engine needs at cruise. On new cars they use a return-less system but the pump is variable speed, thus variable volume.
A return system keeps gas flowing and this helps to cool the gas in the fuel rail. Personally it is the only way I would run an EFI system.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 05:09:59 PM »
There are a lot of horror stories out there about the returnless EFI fuel systems.  Without a return system of some sort the fuel pressure at the injectors can vary enough to cause the vehicle to run erratically.  Why don't you want to run a return line?  They are not that hard to plumb in...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

bushwackr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 06:12:04 PM »
Ok that makes sense on the fuel heating, I just looked at the holley setup looks alright.  One thing will the timing control work with the oe dist converter to pertronix and msd box

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 11:28:40 PM »
I don't know about all of them, but the Holley system requires a Hall Effect diz to work.

KS

bushwackr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 12:29:15 AM »
Thought pertronix were hall effect??

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 03:25:48 AM »
Hi bushwckr

You can have a look at my Holley Sniper install a few pages back here;
By the way. No issues so far with an RPM manifold & 1/2" open spacer.

http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=5429.0
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 04:09:28 PM by 66FAIRLANE »

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 11:08:14 AM »
There are a lot of horror stories out there about the returnless EFI fuel systems.  Without a return system of some sort the fuel pressure at the injectors can vary enough to cause the vehicle to run erratically.  Why don't you want to run a return line?  They are not that hard to plumb in...

Same - I won't build a fuel system without a return.  They just work too well with a return, either FI or carb.  I'm putting an A1000 Aeromotive on the dragster that should do either.  Right now we're going carb.  Short cut fuel, ignition or cylinder head build and you could be chasing your tail solving problems.