Author Topic: Edelbrock 2x4 Adaptor - Interest?  (Read 8558 times)

e philpott

• View Profile
Re: Edelbrock 2x4 Adaptor - Interest?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 09:27:08 AM »
Looks like after adapter are tweaked for Holley's then horsepower level going to drop right back down to EB's because of the goofy angles , seems like a lot of work to make a manifold fit a carb it's not designed to fit

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 09:27:23 AM »
Scott, measure from the thermostat face to the front carb stud of your medium riser intake, then position your template in that same position on the edelbrock intake. What I measured placed the template 1/2"-3/4" more forward than where you have it. I was trying to nail down the carb position perfectly to avoid having issues with the distributor and expansion tank in the front or the firewall in the rear.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

scott foxwell

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 10:00:53 AM »
Scott, measure from the thermostat face to the front carb stud of your medium riser intake, then position your template in that same position on the edelbrock intake. What I measured placed the template 1/2"-3/4" more forward than where you have it. I was trying to nail down the carb position perfectly to avoid having issues with the distributor and expansion tank in the front or the firewall in the rear.
I was pretty careful about my references but I'll re-check. From my notes;
From vertical water neck plane to center of front carb stud holes; Edelbrock, was 4.885", my medium riser was 4.705". Only roughly .180" difference.
Edelbrock carb pads sit @ 3* angle, medium riser @ 4.9* angle.
The Edelbrock carb pad plane intersected the vertical waterneck plane @ 4.975" high, the medium riser carb pad plane intersected the vertical waterneck plane @ 4.07".

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2018, 10:10:47 AM »
I'll fiddle with it some more this weekend too. Neighbor Joe is supposed to come over and take a look.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 04:45:47 PM »
"Don't really understand the fixation with making this intake work with Holley carbs..."

Its the least expensive dual quad intake by a large margin and is readily available, and the quality is good.

Somehow the Carters are uncool.

plovett

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2018, 05:12:57 PM »
I'm a Holley guy, but are two 750 or 800 Carterbrock carburetors that bad? 

Or is it the appearance of them?  Heck,  a 426 Hemi still looks cool with two Carters on it.

paulie

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2018, 07:31:31 PM »
I have yet to see, or hear of anyone dyno testing that intake manifold with two 800 Edelbrock Thunder series carbs.   Everyone uses either the 500 cfm, or 600 cfm street style carbs.   I ported one of those manifolds for a forum member about 20 years ago with a pair of RPM heads.  He installed them in a roadster with ported shorty headers that I did, and proceeded to break his C-6 transmission from the torque.  I believe it will be a very strong intake with just a clean up and two 800 cfm Edelbrock Thunder carbs.

As for that spacer/top, if you were to mill the entire top off the carb pads and just expose the top runners, then you could probable center it for a much better placement with a spacer and then your carb pads.   Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

scott foxwell

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2018, 07:31:55 PM »

Or is it the appearance of them?  Heck,  a 426 Hemi still looks cool with two Carters on it.

paulie
I think part of the problem is the fact that the factory used Holleys and trying to keep the original appearance. Hard to use an original oval air cleaner with the Ede intake. A base could be made, but that's just another minus.

plovett

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2018, 08:30:55 PM »
I believe it will be a very strong intake with just a clean up and two 800 cfm Edelbrock Thunder carbs.
 Joe-JDC

That makes sense to me, Joe.  I remember this intake doing pretty well in Jay's book, even with two 600 Edelbrocks.

paulie

plovett

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2018, 08:36:37 PM »

paulie
I think part of the problem is the fact that the factory used Holleys and trying to keep the original appearance. Hard to use an original oval air cleaner with the Ede intake. A base could be made, but that's just another minus.

I hear ya.  This just doesn't seem like right intake for the guys wanting factory 2x4 appearance anyway.  I get the desire to do that especially since there is no reasonably priced factory type 2x4 dual plane intake available.  But still.   

JMO,

paulie

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2018, 11:46:06 PM »
Just a thought, but a pair of EFI throttle bodies would probably work, and fit, very well!

KS

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2018, 01:10:26 PM »
offy 5880 parts are made to do this summit has them.

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2018, 02:15:11 PM »
Dual throttle bodies would be a good solution, otherwise just stick with the Edelbrock carbs. That intake is a good match for a street rod or a cruiser. Edelbrock carbs work just fine for street rods or cruisers so it is a good match. If you want a race intake then buy a race intake. You can train a donkey all day long and it still won't be a race horse........

plovett

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2018, 03:52:28 PM »
Could one mill out the center and make an adapter for 3x2 bbl carbs?

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2018, 04:13:56 PM »
Could one mill out the center and make an adapter for 3x2 bbl carbs?

Could fill out the entire center section and use the intake port flanges to build a sheet metal tunnel ram from.

At some point you have to draw the line.