Author Topic: Interesting article on the impact of EV growth to jobs in auto industry  (Read 5613 times)

The Real McCoy

• View Profile
Re: Interesting article on the impact of EV growth to jobs in auto industry
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2019, 07:59:11 PM »
I bought a new pickup this summer and did some research for Minnesota license plate cost between 3/4 ton and 1 ton pickups, which is a whole other story.  During this research I come across some things on electric and hybrid vehicles for Minnesota.  Don't remember all the information but I do remember all electric vehicles get a $75 annual charge added to the license plate fee due to not paying gas tax, which is 46.9 cents per gallon.  Minnesota gas tax is 28.5 cents per gallon and Federal is 18.4.  This is about 160 gallons of gas and the equivalent of a little less than 5000 miles per year at 30 MPG.  5000 miles a year maybe reasonable for an all electric car but seems like a pretty conservative number.

Also seen some things recently Minnesota is looking at raising the $75 add on to something higher, of course there is lots of debating on both sides of the fence about this.  I would expect all states would be looking at this very seriously as the electric and hybrid vehicles gain market share, as they inevitably will.  They will need to find a new revenue source to replace the diminishing gas tax.   
63 1/2 Galaxie 500
428 CJ Stroker with 427 2x4 Intake, 427 Long Exhaust Manifolds, Quick Fuel Carbs and TKO 600.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it’s what we know for sure that just ain’t so."                            Mark Twain