Author Topic: rebuilt 390  (Read 1352 times)

390owner

• View Profile
rebuilt 390
« on: March 14, 2019, 08:52:53 PM »
I got my 390 back from the machine shop today. It is bored 60 with some exhaust work on the heads. It has a comp cam part number 33-234-4. The shop said it was built for torque. I also had it balanced with stronger rod bolts and valve springs. What kind of horsepower and torque should it make. It has the stock 4 barrel intake and stock heads with the exhaust work

FERoadster

• View Profile
Re: rebuilt 390
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 12:26:36 AM »
Too many open items to guess the HP and Torque.
What year is your block, heads and intake ? What pistons? Which heads? What is your exhaust system? Which intake and Carb? Casting numbers would help.
I'm sure others will respond

Richard

390owner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 07:34:52 AM »
I said above it has the cast intake and heads. I am not sure on pistons. It is a 74 block. I have headman headers with a 600 edelbrock carb

dmann

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 12:54:34 PM »
You can't know what HP it will make with the info you have listed, but you could get estimates from other people who might have similar combinations.  Do you know what the actual compression ratio is going to be?

One way that you can estimate the HP is by getting your vehicle weighed and then taking it to the drag strip.  There are formulas that can estimate the HP based upon the MPH you run in the quarter mile vs your vehicle weight.  I don't know how accurate that will be, but it would give you a number to work with.

Obviously if you have a chassis dyno near where you live you can have it measured that way as well.

With headers and a decently matched tire diameter and gear combination it will probably feel like a decently powerful engine.

People on this board can probably give you estimates about where they think the engine will stop pulling in the upper RPMs, based upon the data you've given.

My guess would be that on a dyno the power will seriously fall off around 5000 rpms.  This is a total guess on my part, I have never had an engine on a dyno.  I've just read a bunch of Hot Rod magazines and forums :-)

What is your goal for this engine...what type of vehicle will it be going into?

Dan
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 12:56:35 PM by dmann »

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 05:15:57 PM »
sounds like  a little above stock, say maybe 350-375hp based on the stock parts but no way to guess it without engine specs or dyno
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new