Author Topic: aircraft landing lights  (Read 3392 times)

allrightmike

• View Profile
aircraft landing lights
« on: April 26, 2020, 11:59:16 AM »
Anyone remember running 250W aircraft landing lights in their four headlight system? In the dark you could see down the road for a mile! Had to install a relay for the amp draw. Just found a pair (GE4522) for my starliner project. not  legal of course. Just don't flash a cop!!

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
Re: aircraft landing lights
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 12:21:06 PM »
My business partner had a set of those on his 2.8L Capri back in the 80's.  He says the same thing - MILES of visibility for high speed night runs on quiet desert roads. 

Unfortunately Johnny Law took a dim view of his antics.  (See what I did there??)  He changed back to stock sealed beams and sold the car...
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 01:32:55 PM »
It was a bright idea!

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 02:17:21 PM »
My dad put them in my 69 Mach1 when it was still his in 72, and they are still in there. Man, would those things light up the reflectors on the double yellows. You can hold your hand 3 feet out and feel the heat. His buddy at work put a set in his 67 Goat, and the GM alternator would not keep up with them, ran the battery dead if he ran them for long

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 03:14:44 PM »
I don't recall those, but relays and hella lights make my low beams stock and high beams better than a new cars.
Definitely worth the investment for a driver.

FElony

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 03:38:24 PM »
My dad put them in my 69 Mach1 when it was still his in 72, and they are still in there. Man, would those things light up the reflectors on the double yellows. You can hold your hand 3 feet out and feel the heat. His buddy at work put a set in his 67 Goat, and the GM alternator would not keep up with them, ran the battery dead if he ran them for long

Yes, exactly. I had them inboard on my '68 Torino GT with the same results. I believe mine were Wagners. Could verify if it matters, as they are still in the car, too.

Diogenes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 03:46:19 PM »
I always thought the landing lights in high beam position would be great for all those people who refuse to turn off their high beams, there are so many rude drivers these days. Of course John Law would get me, never one around when you want them, often around when you don't....
WHEN CRIMINALS MAKE THE LAWS, OBEYING THE LAW IS A CRIME.

1966 Galaxie 500 390 Toploader 3.89 Traction-Lock 9in.
1985 Toyota Celica Supra
1971 Montego MX wagon 351C Toploader Detroit Locker Cyclone competition gauge/dash bucket seats/console
1989 Texas DPS Police Mustang
1971 Torino GT 351C 4V AT
1968 Cougar 351W Toploader Traction-Lock 8in.
1989 Dodge Omni modified 2.5 turbo from hell

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 05:10:06 PM »
Mine are Tung-Sol

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 10:54:11 PM »
I used them in my '67 Cougar XR-7 GT/427. I found that to use them the little locating nubs on the back had to be ground down. Used the snag wheel on my bench grinder.

KS

FElony

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 10:32:32 AM »
Geez, this forum is full of lawless desperadoes.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 02:47:52 PM »
It can't be worse then these new cars?  No how, no way.  Especially the mo-rons that run around in 4x4's with those blue headlights and driving lights on 24/7.
Larry

Diogenes

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2020, 02:56:12 PM »
It can't be worse then these new cars?  No how, no way.  Especially the mo-rons that run around in 4x4's with those blue headlights and driving lights on 24/7.

Ain't that the truth--damn mo-rons. Nice film reference too.
WHEN CRIMINALS MAKE THE LAWS, OBEYING THE LAW IS A CRIME.

1966 Galaxie 500 390 Toploader 3.89 Traction-Lock 9in.
1985 Toyota Celica Supra
1971 Montego MX wagon 351C Toploader Detroit Locker Cyclone competition gauge/dash bucket seats/console
1989 Texas DPS Police Mustang
1971 Torino GT 351C 4V AT
1968 Cougar 351W Toploader Traction-Lock 8in.
1989 Dodge Omni modified 2.5 turbo from hell

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2020, 03:05:47 PM »
When I was a kid, a local preacher took a hammer to the headlights of someone that was following him too closely with their brights on. I thought that was very un-preacher like. Same guy got caught stealing parts out of a junk yard. I guess that was nothing compared to our religious leaders of today. My Flex has HID lights and all there is for low beam is a shutter that comes down over the bulb. When you are cresting a hill, the on-coming traffic is under the shutter and gets the full brightness. It also took me years as a wee one until I learned what the phrase "her head lights are on high beam" meant.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2020, 03:36:31 PM »
... "her head lights are on high beam"....

I'm expecting a picture post from Heo at any moment now.  There will be a big hat that nobody will notice.
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

FElony

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2020, 03:53:59 PM »
... "her head lights are on high beam"....

I'm expecting a picture post from Heo at any moment now.  There will be a big hat that nobody will notice.

Why does HE get away with posting stuff like that and when I do it, all I get is acidic warning PM's from the admin? Damn deep state always sticking it to the little guys.