Author Topic: engine building prices  (Read 1511 times)

fairlanegt427

• 64 falcon 482 pond motor/ 65 comet 428
    • View Profile
engine building prices
« on: December 11, 2015, 09:48:47 AM »
I have been putting together an engine for my dad for his rat rod,  it is a different brand and ill leave it at that.  I haven't put one together in quite a few years and I forgot how much time it takes when you put all this stuff together and check clearances etc etc.   so I guess I have got a reality check as to why machine shops cost so much to assemble an engine,  the hours can add up fast.  but also I do thank machine shops and or engine builders for trying to keep assembly prices as fair as possible. :)

FERoadster

• View Profile
Re: engine building prices
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 01:08:06 PM »
Not the FE engine  price so much but with an engine not intended for the car, items add up. These are a few of them.
For my 1948 Lincoln  Headers wouldn't fit but CI shorty's do.
Oil filter adapter-  had to get a 1976 4X4  no others would clear the steering box
Car oil pan hit the cross steering rod. Had to change to a 4X4 rear sump pan
Had to recess the steering box into the box frame
New wiring kit since the old cloth wires were modified so many times the electrical tape was a ball of plastic from engine heat. The prior engine was a 1957 Caddy.
Tri power air cleaner required a lot of surgery to the firewall.
Shaving doglegs out of the frame for exhaust header clearance.

These were all surprises  above the fact that I knew I'd have to build  engine  and trans mounts.
I did find that the 4 bar  and 9" rear axle conversion wasn't that hard. The 48  Lincoln Continental however is a unibody car so all cutting & welding was under the car so fire was a concern.

The engine rebuild at lease is on a stand with adequate room.