Author Topic: Highschool student in town was given his Grandfathers 70 Mustang  (Read 6814 times)

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
Re: Highschool student in town was given his Grandfathers 70 Mustang
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2015, 11:22:11 AM »
Your dismissing the car as a complete basket case and have not even seen a picture of it.
I on the other hand think it is in great shape and pretty much a set of plugs off he goes.
At either end of the spectrum, he is a lucky young man.
He has a sought after Hot Rod Mustang with family history.
I just hope that my grandsons take up the challenge when they are old enough.
They will be around the same age as this young man in 10 years and I have all kinds of junk
that they can work with.

BB just to buy a basket case late 60's Hot Rod Mustang costs more than I could ever afford these days.
To be able to pass that along to my sons will be priceless.

You are getting close to having your Hot Rod back on the road.
What's it worth to you?
I ask that because what is your plan?
Drive it and race it and run the shit out of it?
Then give to someone in your family when you're done?
Or sit and look at it and think how much it is worth?
Cause you might as well sell it as soon as you can and enjoy the money some way else. jmho

I drive the shit out of my junk and don't think my junk is worth anything.
Cause I buy to use it.

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2015, 07:18:50 PM »
The 70 Mustangs with a Cleveland 4 barrel engine, modded with an aluminum intake, Holley double pumper, headers, and big cam were street terrors.  With the big Magnum wheels and tires and the sway bars on the Mach 1's they outhandled the other muscle cars of the period.

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2015, 08:26:21 PM »
Howie I want to drive it and run-it (with a whole lot of respect). The respect comes from back when I used to four-wheel drift it routinely on back country roads at night (get to use both lanes). That was with belted tires and a stock 390 GT and anybody could be Parnelli Jones in a big block Mustang on a twisting road.... the front end would always break loose first and you simply feathered the throttle to put the rear wherever you wanted it. I was riding dirt bikes back then and sliding all over the road simply transferred to the car.
    Today the way I've set-up the suspension, chassis, brakes, rubber and expect twice (?) the power.   I know the SOB will far exceed my ability to drive it around turns and I'm cautious on a straight line. .I've seen enough Bozo's on youtube loose it pulling out of a car show or cruise.
 I've open-tracked my 300ZX and enjoyed the hell out of, but got a feeling my Mustang will be a bull in a china shop compared to all that .9G+ and anti-lock brake scalpel like refinement.

BTW Howie: "I on the other hand think it is in great shape and pretty much a set of plugs off he goes"  My you have the reading comprehension of a dead moose to make that statement.  The floor's holed, seats gone, subframes shot ---  plugs will fix that?

Never forget I had a secretary that was married to a BC-BS VP. She had a mega dollar BMW. I happened to see on side of highway for a 65/66 convert Mustang FOR SALE, stopped and inspected it. I was laughing at the solid bondo'd rear quarters that sounded just like you were taping on concrete. the carpet falling out through the floorpan and the doors that were wedged tight with distortion where they fit together.  That afternoon I returned to the shop to see the same Convert Mustang parked in our lot ... she came running out all excited to tell me: " look what I just bought for my son to take to college!" Soon Pop's the VP shows up and walks around the car saying: "look the tires are all by different mfgs,  our boy can't go to school in a car with four different tires, well have to replace them all right away." I swear I'm thinking IF the boy hits a speed bump the car's going to break clear in two................and your worried about matching tires?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 08:54:37 PM by Qikbbstang »