Author Topic: Valve spring setup  (Read 876 times)

chilly460

• View Profile
Valve spring setup
« on: August 30, 2021, 08:04:31 PM »
I have a bit of a hodgepodge of parts on the C1AEs i ported awhile back, installed some 2.15” valves with takeoff springs and hardware from a set of TFS.  Checking out the setup now, I have 1.860” installed height which gives me 186lbs on the seat and about 438lbs at .600” and 455ish at .625”.  I have two rollers I’m deciding on so not sure on open lift quite yet.  Bind is at .690-.700”. 

Closed pressure seems pretty high, there’s a .055” spring locator.  I’m not sure if they make an .035” but if they did, the extra .020” would give me around 170lbs on the seat.  Any advice on spring setup for a hydraulic roller?

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Valve spring setup
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 03:52:27 AM »
You could try a set of +.050” valve locks and see where that puts you.

I have ran 440 lbs open with standard travel Morel lifters, so it works, but I wouldn’t go higher than that. 

If you’re planning on some higher rpms, you may wanna look at a different spring as raising the install height will increase the coil bind clearance and could get you into some spring surge.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

chilly460

• View Profile
Re: Valve spring setup
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 05:45:42 AM »
One of the cams was a bigger hyd roller I got from you with .655 lift, so it could actually use a bit of clearance, and it needs less pressure over the nose so the locks would be win/win I think