Author Topic: Resident Engine Builder Published on Engine Labs  (Read 3482 times)

SSdynosaur

• View Profile
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 06:55:38 PM by SSdynosaur »

WerbyFord

• View Profile
Re: Resident Engine Builder Published on Engine Labs
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 06:51:26 AM »
A superb writeup on a superb effort.

The YouTube is very "real" too, just sounds like real talk out in the shop.
The discussion on shortage of parts is significant and hopefully will be a memory soon as those things change.

The fact that this was done on a pump gas 10.3 compression ratio is significant too.
Well done Brent and congratulations!

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 08:56:45 AM »
Awesome! Glad to see the FE getting some more exposure. Congrats Brent!
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO

FAULKDADDY

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2021, 09:06:18 AM »
After watching the build and reading the article. I like JJ even more now.  Great job Brent. 

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2021, 09:23:49 AM »
Awesome

For those wanting to look at my big belly, it's in picture 1 with the gray sweatshirt on  8)  Between my two and Brent's two, we spun 4 motors those two days and still had time to go for steak dinner and maybe mexican one day :)

That was the extent of my affair with JJ though, Day one and pit crew carb and intake swaps...it was all Brent after that.  That is/was an excellent build and gald to see it getting some press!
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2021, 06:25:29 PM »
I got a kick out of the last reader comment, "Do I see some sort of adapter to allow use of a 351C manifold?"  FE Power, still flying under the radar... ;D ;D
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2021, 06:56:04 PM »
I got a kick out of the last reader comment, "Do I see some sort of adapter to allow use of a 351C manifold?"  FE Power, still flying under the radar... ;D ;D
We all gotta work on changing that.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2021, 10:15:01 AM »
Great news! Go Brent!
Bob Maag

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2021, 10:15:41 AM »
Very Nice.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2021, 01:25:57 PM »

Did anyone see the other comment? 

"The poorest engineered of all of the 60's engines to come out of Detroit. A wedge style combustion chamber with symetrical intake ports. The worst lubrication system and an extremely heavy engine block for its diminutive 352 cubic inches. Only an emotional "Ford lover" would build this joke of an engine."

That was from a big dork named Dennis Moore, who apparently is a professional armchair engine builder.  Either that, or a Chevy guy. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

67xr7cat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2021, 02:29:03 PM »

"The poorest engineered of all of the 60's engines to come out of Detroit. A wedge style combustion chamber with symetrical intake ports. The worst lubrication system and an extremely heavy engine block for its diminutive 352 cubic inches. Only an emotional "Ford lover" would build this joke of an engine."

That was from a big dork named Dennis Moore, who apparently is a professional armchair engine builder.  Either that, or a Chevy guy.

Is the Roddy Dangerfield of engines... just cannot get no respect... LOL

Honestly all the 1950's designed engines - FE, MEL, SBC, Pontiac, BBM, etc... are pretty bad if compared to modern stuff, but they all have some interesting design features. I'd say the FE was one of the most historically significate engines of the 60's. 

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2021, 07:11:54 PM »

"The poorest engineered of all of the 60's engines to come out of Detroit. A wedge style combustion chamber with symetrical intake ports. The worst lubrication system and an extremely heavy engine block for its diminutive 352 cubic inches. Only an emotional "Ford lover" would build this joke of an engine.     

Did not see that one, and I was looking for it. Comments on the YouTube vid or the article?

I still don’t get it, and you beet me to the Rodney Dangerfield reference. This engine dominated lemans for years. Yet guys still call it poorly engineered? Not to mention the tunnel port or SOHC  that was decades before it’s time…. Sigh, just cant get no respect…..

Try going to the junk yard and grabbing a 351 Windsor or 70s era 350sbc and getting 530 HP on stock heads, willing to bet it just ain’t gonna happen….

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2021, 09:22:53 PM »
"Wedge styled combustion chambers, and symetrical intake ports", you mean like a Chevy LS? Then add the shaft rocker arms, symetrical exhaust ports, and the 427 FE's cross bolted main caps, makes you wonder why Chevy chose to copy such a "joke of an engine". Seems like Mr. Expert is unaware that Ford offered any FEs with more 352 cubic inches of displacement.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2021, 05:09:53 AM »

"The poorest engineered of all of the 60's engines to come out of Detroit. A wedge style combustion chamber with symetrical intake ports. The worst lubrication system and an extremely heavy engine block for its diminutive 352 cubic inches. Only an emotional "Ford lover" would build this joke of an engine.     

Did not see that one, and I was looking for it. Comments on the YouTube vid or the article?

I still don’t get it, and you beet me to the Rodney Dangerfield reference. This engine dominated lemans for years. Yet guys still call it poorly engineered? Not to mention the tunnel port or SOHC  that was decades before it’s time…. Sigh, just cant get no respect…..

Try going to the junk yard and grabbing a 351 Windsor or 70s era 350sbc and getting 530 HP on stock heads, willing to bet it just ain’t gonna happen….

I know....and the "worst lubrication system", which on a top oiler is essentially the same as a SBC.  Coincidentally, this "worst lubrication system" held rock solid oil pressure to 7500 rpm with nothing more than a few restrictors and blending in the oil pump/block feed hole. 

That comment was on the Ford Muscle Facebook page:

https://www.fordmuscle.com/tech-stories/brent-lykins-531-horsepower-naturally-aspirated-352-ford-fe-engine/
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2021, 08:13:49 AM »

I just had to snoop his page, that guy is an A #1 world class asshole.  Sorry.  I'm not even indicting his political views, he refers to "rural americans" disparagingly dozens of time, a true elitist prick.