Author Topic: Thoughts on the new Bronco?  (Read 3516 times)

chilly460

• View Profile
Thoughts on the new Bronco?
« on: July 15, 2020, 01:08:21 PM »
I think the consensus is that Ford did very well with this thing.  I was really surprised they didn't water it down too much, it comes with pretty nice hardware and capability.  I already know the gripes, it doesn't have a V8 and some won't like that it doesn't have a solid front axle.   I don't see how this is surprising, as it's based on the Ranger, so follows that architecture.  I'm fairly surprised its offered with the 2.7L, and very happy to see it as I'm very happy with the 2.7L EB in my F150. 

I will say I'm disappointed, very, that the manual isn't available with the 2.7L.  It's a bespoke transmission, so not sure why they didn't build it to pair with all engine options, it would make for a killer drivetrain. 

Looks are great, the fact that you can get dual lockers is great, and 4.70 gearing is beyond anything I'd have imagined, along with 35" tires being offered. 

What it's not, is cheap....but it's right on par with Jeep pricing so not really a shocker, just a harsh reality of modern vehicles. 

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: Thoughts on the new Bronco?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 01:50:15 PM »
I am not a huge fan, going to need to see it in person.  To me, it looks like a Flex with a lift kit, cool, but not a Bronco, and the 4 doors although infinitely more popular, is not Bronco heritage.

We'll see, sooner or later one will show up and I can get a good look.  I'd like to see a Raptor big ECO version or a big V-8 in one too.  I haven't seen any inkling to that though and Jeep Wranglers are coming out with a V-8 this year apparently, as well as the diesel which came out last round in the Wrangler
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 02:08:00 PM by My427stang »
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 01:56:31 PM »
The two door is definitely cooler, but fact is a modern vehicle has to have a 4dr option.  Look at how many more Wranglers were sold when they went 4dr. 

If Ford follows suit as normal, they'll debut a Raptor/Warthog model in a bit to boost the "buzz" after it's been out awhile and needs a boost.  My guess is they'll put a pumped up 2.7L in it...just based on the Raptor being a tuned 3.5L EB. 

I think some shop is going to make a lot of money building solid axle swaps for this thing. 

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 02:08:41 PM »
The two door is definitely cooler, but fact is a modern vehicle has to have a 4dr option.  Look at how many more Wranglers were sold when they went 4dr. 

If Ford follows suit as normal, they'll debut a Raptor/Warthog model in a bit to boost the "buzz" after it's been out awhile and needs a boost.  My guess is they'll put a pumped up 2.7L in it...just based on the Raptor being a tuned 3.5L EB. 

I think some shop is going to make a lot of money building solid axle swaps for this thing.

Do they offer a 2-door version of the Bronco, or only the 4 door?
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 03:03:45 PM »
There's a 2dr

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 03:08:02 PM »
They had video of it at speed over rough terrain. Short wheelbase made it look like a bucking Bronco.

A nice feature in the future might be mosquito screening around the open rear hatch, since they're advertising it to go Backcountry and those overhead lights in the hatch will be a bug magnet.

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 03:24:14 PM »
400ftlb, 4.70 gears, 35" tires, seven different models, a 7spd manual transmission available, removable roof and doors, electronic lockers....and you noticed that a hatch light might attract bugs?  Are you related to my ex-wife? :) :)

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 03:31:26 PM »
I gotta say SO FAR it looks like they did their homework. I like it as far as I can like the way new trucks look.
It does have some of the old Bronco there and if you read about the packages,?, pretty neat.
Configurations are numerous.
Thumbs up.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 05:08:44 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised to see you can get a manual transmission in it and you can get a base model at a fairly reasonable price. I do wish they had offered a manual shift transfer case without all the electronic gadgetry. I think it will be a solid competitor to the Wrangler.

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 05:11:57 PM »
Over all I think they did a decent job with it. The 2 door from the front looks pretty good, from the side it looks a lot like an FJ to me.

The biggest thing I think they failed on is only allowing the 7 speed with the 2.3 and it HAS to have a solid axle. The IFS is nice for a street rig/mall crawler, but a large portion of the Jeep sales are to people who take their families camping offroad, etc and want the capability and suspension travel that the solid axle affords. I probably would have pre-ordered a 2dr if it had a solid axle option. Without it, I'll wait and see what the aftermarket comes up with next year for them. If there is a well thought out SAS I can bolt on without having to engineer all my own stuff I might consider buying one.

A raptor version of some kind would be nice, but again, for anything other than pre-running the IFS just isn't a good option.

I'm not a big fan of anything new with the GPS TV screen dash crap, but it's just a fact of life on modern vehicles I have to learn to live with.

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 08:02:06 PM »
400ftlb, 4.70 gears, 35" tires, seven different models, a 7spd manual transmission available, removable roof and doors, electronic lockers....and you noticed that a hatch light might attract bugs?  Are you related to my ex-wife? :) :)

They're the ones waxing rhapsodic about the features in the rear hatch area. Could only think to myself that these guys have probably never been outside away from a desk.  Would just need a rail/track around the hatch that you could attach the netting to, like a shower curtain.

fastback 427

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2020, 08:40:44 PM »
Absolutely love it. Wife went on the Ford site to order one and site was down all day. Supposedly the are going to be on back order for awhile.
Jaime
67 fastback 427 center oiler 428 crank Dove aluminum
top end toploader
67 fairlane gta cross bolted 12:1 390 Dove aluminum top end c6 3600 stall
65 falcon straight axle project
67 mustang coupe project
76 f350 dually 390 mirror 105 4bbl 4spd
74 f100 xlt 390 c6 factory ac

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2020, 08:52:04 PM »
I can’t really speak to the IFS holding up to heavy use, my “hardcore” off roading was done in solid axle rigs.  I’d wager that many of the folks (not saying anyone here) griping about IFS don’t lean on their vehicles near enough to really need a stick axle, they’re just regurgitating what they hear.  The way I see it, locker up front mitigates some of the issue with IFS articulation, and if someone is breaking parts in the IFS that wouldn’t break in a solid axle...well....they’re pretty hardcore in a $45k rig and I submit they have a legitimate gripe. 
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 02:07:57 AM by chilly460 »

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2020, 08:54:26 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised to see you can get a manual transmission in it and you can get a base model at a fairly reasonable price. I do wish they had offered a manual shift transfer case without all the electronic gadgetry. I think it will be a solid competitor to the Wrangler.

Agreed on the electric xfer case, I’ve had issues with two not shifting and when you need 4wd....you really NEED it so it was very annoying.  Plus a bit pricy to put the shift motors in them if that’s the issue, insult to injury

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2020, 02:11:56 AM »
I took a quick look and I think it's a pretty good start. I don't like the grill but, overall it does have a "original" Bronco look.

I copied this:

Power goes to a Dana 44 AdvanTEK solid rear axle and Dana AdvanTEK independent front differential with optional electronic locking differentials.

The third members are pretty good and it says that the electronic locking, is optional. Personally, I like IFS as well as IRS, especially for this type of vehicle. While the travel may be limited, it ability to conform to the train is superior.
Frank