Author Topic: My 427 SOHC Build..... Finally the time has come!  (Read 776616 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: My 427 SOHC Build..... Finally the time has come!
« Reply #1395 on: May 28, 2016, 11:01:04 AM »
Certainly good concervative advice and will only cost a few dollars.  That being said I haven't been bit yet, at least not in the 6-12 month timeframe, I have seen some sick stuff come out of tanks in more extreme timelines.  Maybe it's coming, the Mustang is still bagged up in storage, I hope not!

That's just my take on it. That gas has been sitting for nearly a year, I guarantee that it has degraded some. Why even mess with it on such a high dollar build. Throw it in your daily driver or something that doesn't matter as much. That engine is going to want good clean fuel.

I work on everything from small weedeaters and handmowers to fleet cars, big tractors and trucks. Small engines are very particular, and a degraded fuel is enough to not let them run. Like I said, they may not be cars, but it certainly tells you something about the gas.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Cyclone Joe

• Joe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: May 28, 2016, 02:19:11 PM »
If you can pour a bit out to see its color....do it.  Old gas will turn green like antifreeze, and will smell like combo of a rotten eggs and a dead cat smoothie. 

Dont go cheap on us now!

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: May 28, 2016, 02:27:41 PM »
Ok small update.  Transmission fully installed and torqued down to 35 ft lbs ( tothe bell housing)  trans cross member bolts all torqued down to 45 ft lbs and the transmission bolts that hold the tail section to the trans cross member torqued down to 46 ft lbs.  Driveshaft reinstalled and the yoke bolts/ caps could not be torqued given tye angle of the bolts.  I tightened them down to where I felt secure with their supplied washer and lockwasher.....  Drivetrain officially all "re-installed".  I also remounted the cable I made to act as a ground strap from the back of one of te starter bolts to the cross member.

Now its a matter of refilling the transmission with fluid and hooking back up all of the wiring....
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: May 28, 2016, 04:24:39 PM »
Awesome, keep going!
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: May 31, 2016, 07:42:33 AM »
Not much done over the weekend.  I had to go purchae additional fully synthetic Transmission fluid to re-fill after the installation.  While I was down there, I noticed a little engine oil on the front passenger side ( right on the exhaust outlet and a little below.)  I wiped it clean, but wanted to let it sit for a day or 2 to see if it is still leaking.  I remember Jay had told me that after the engine runs a little ( dyno) that the valve covers might need to be snugged down again just due to shrinkage of the cork gasket.  In addition to using the load leveler to get the motor mount bolts in, I am guessing a little spillage may have occurred.  Either way, I wanted to see where it was coming from before installing the headers and letting the car back down off the jack stands.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 10:01:13 AM by cobracammer »
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: May 31, 2016, 08:07:28 PM »
Ok, all is well and no oil. I crawled under the car last night and looked around for anything out of the ordinary.  It would seem like there was just a little seepage when it was being tilted on installation.  All clear now for header installation (I just didn't want to get the ceramic coating dirty....... even though I know its all mental on my part).  Hoping to get them installed in the next few days.  I also realize that these forum posts are a lot more interesting and fun with Photos!  I will try and get some more photos posted in the next few days as well.  I am dying to show a photo of the custom oil pan Jay created and how well it fit into the tubular K member. LOL

Another item I noticed was that one of the chassis nuts that holds the tubular K member to the car is missing!  I wouldn't even guess how that came loose and disappeared....  They were all torqued to something like 85 ft lbs.  Definitely possible I missed torqueing one.  Either way, it took me the better part of 3 hours to track down a part number for a single nut on the front of this car.  I put in an order to Tasca for a new set of 4 and will make sure to reinstall and re-torque them all before letting the car down.  Slow and steady is paying off!

One last thing I have had on the back burner for a little while now is attaching the OEM power steering pump to the Cammer engine.  I think I have worked out the pulley problem by getting the Howe pulley adapter and ordering one of their pulleys that bolts onto the adapter.  Only issue is that I believe the March Pulleys are 7/16" belts and the new Howe pulley is a 3/8" belt.  To be honest, other than asking a machine shop to custom make me a pulley, this is as close as I am going to get.  I have been trying to work out a way to install the pulley on the FE bracket that bolts to the Drivers side of the water pump, but its tricky as the OEM pump has 4 bolts that come up from the bottom (given how its installed on a Modular 4.6.

They sell a Coyote swap braket (for like $260), that allows you to install the pump on a new coyote motor, however I don't think it would be of much use.  Any ideas on how to install this would be great. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 08:48:08 AM by cobracammer »
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: June 02, 2016, 05:14:24 PM »
Listening to a previous poster, i wanted to wrap the headers in plastic before installing.  As the ceramic coating seems easily damaged, i will install them wrapped, and then just pull off the plastic before slipping on the collectors.  Just finished wrapping:

Jason

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: June 03, 2016, 06:15:02 AM »
Headers look great!

Going to tease you here...if the nut was torqued, it didn't loosen up and fall off :)  Either you took it off and don't remember, you left it loose, or you never put it on.  Not an important comment, we've all done it, but an opportunity to snap you with a towel in the locker room, so to speak  :o

I will say that your power steering pulley will likely be an issue over time.  A V-belt drives off the sides of the V not the bottom.  You have the best possible mismatch, if forced to mismatch, where the driven pulley is smaller than the drive, BUT, if your drive pulley is 7/16, you need to run the 7/16 belt so it won't slip and it will likely eat belts.  Try it, but that belt will be sitting high in the groove and to get it to not slip, it'll likely have to be pretty tight.  If you use a 3/8 belt, it'll likely slip on the drive side

Keep going though!  This should be one hell of a ride
Ross
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: June 03, 2016, 07:37:27 AM »
Thanks Ross.  Yea I am pretty sure I just did not torque it down.  LOL.  I will make sure I re-torque all of them again while the car is up on stands (because If I put it down off the Jack stands, I will likely forget to do it later  LOL).

Anyway, Last night I was able to put on the Passenger side headers.  Just to explain how little room there is down there, I am able to access the front most 2 header bolts easily.  other than that, its a lot of reaching down from under the hood to try and get the bolts tightened (not torqued) as best as I can.  There is literally no room at all!  I put brand new lock washers on all of the Grade 8 bolts before tightening them down.  Since the headers had to be split up in order to get them in and out (see the picture above), the flange is cut into 3 pieces.  At the place where each section of flange was cut, is a bolt hole.  At these 2 places, I used a flat washer and a lock washer just because it seemed like sort of a weak spot (being where the flange was divided).

I am hoping that since the engine sits more toward the passenger side than the drivers, that the headers will go on a little simpler on the Drivers side (more room to finagle).  Just so I can put this down in writing (for my own reference mostly), the headers need to go on as follows:

The front most tube needs to be fed in from the back side (between the bell housing and the K member).  Once its fed in to where the flange is roughly the right place, it is laid down on the K member (not bolted up yet).  Then, one of the bolts with a flat washer and a lock washer (used where the flange was divided) is threaded in only a few turns.  This will allow you to "hang the second set of tubes temporarily).  Then, the second set of tubes is slowly snaked in from the back side as well.  you need to feed them in with one hand while turning the first tube you inserted a little to allow the second set to twist into the right place.  Once you get the second set of tubes up to the gasket, you can slip the flange up under the bolt with the flat washer and lock washer so it stays put.  Once the second set of tubes is hanging there, you can then take the first tube and slip it up against the second flange (it makes more sense when you realize that where each flange was cut, the ends of the flange contain half a bolt hole.  So the first tube inserted is slid back up against the bolt holding the second set of tubes.  At this point, the front 2 bolt holes on the flange are aligned and can bolted down using a grade 8 with lock washer alone.  Now, the second set of tubes hasn't been tightened down yet, and should not be. At this point another bolt with flat washer and lock washer is placed into the other side of the flange of the second set of tubes.  this bolt is also left loose (in order to slide the last tube under. The last tube needs to now be inserted from behind, and by leaving the second set loose, you can carefully wiggle them a little to allow the last tube to be put into place.  Once you slide the last tubes flange under the loose bolt, its end two bolt holes in the flange are aligned and can have bolts inserted and tightened.  Unfortunately, by this point, you cant see or reach any of the bolts.  So you have to reach down from under the hood back by the firewall with 2 bolts and hand screw them into the last tubes flange.  luckily at this point, even though its going to rub off some skin, you can carefully slide the smallest ratchet with a 14mm socket down by the pipes and using only 2 fingers, get a little turn on each bolt.  it took a while, but each bolt was tightened from the top. 

OK that was confusing, but like I said, it was more for me (so I have reference next time they need to come off).  LOL  Oh and by the way....  since there is almost no room at all, it took another hour to slowly pull off the plastic wrap I used to stop the ceramic coating from being scratched up.  Totally worth it though because the headers were installed without any dings, dents of scratches!  And there was plenty of tube-on-tube-on-K member contact!

Jason

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: June 04, 2016, 06:36:08 AM »
Last comment based on the header challenge.

Depending on the style lock, they may not help you at all.  However they likely won't hurt either.   If a spring type, as they head cycle they could get weak, but being compressed that won't really hurt.  A star washer can be a little better, but they usually are pretty flimsy and don't like to overlap a slotted hole (if that applies) The key is you HAVE to make sure those bolts are tight, lubed if you didn't (I like silver or gold antiseize), and equally important, tightened evenly.  If there is a bolt or two that you said "good enough" it probably isn't

I like to go back through them hot, wearing work gloves, but you may not be able to.  I recommend after you consider that side done, that you find every different 7/16 wrench you have, 1/4 and 3/8 drive sockets and anything else you need to get a positive "oomph" on the bolts and go back and retighten them, attempting to make them good and tight AND evenly tight.

Header gaskets last almost forever if you don't have a bouncing exhaust, backfires, or loose bolts, any one of those things though, they go away quickly.

Also, if you didn't lube the bolts, I would start over.  Call me a header geek, but someday you will need to take those out, and if you didn't, you "might" get lucky, or they might fight you every step of the way.
Ross

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: June 04, 2016, 02:51:25 PM »
Thanks Ross.  I will make sure !  Anyway, I tried to get a few photos today, but being that the car is on jackstands and I cant zoom out, these are the best I could get.  Firts picture is Jays modification to tye oilpan and how close of a fit it is on tye drivers side K member:

Passenger side has a little more room:

Finally drivers side exhaust ports before header pipe installation.

Let me be the first to say it WAS NOT EASIER than the passenger side.  Sadly the last bolt that was easily accessable before is blocked with the newly fabricated oil pan kick outs.  It took me about 2.5 hours just to get the last bolt in the header flange ( nearest the firewall).  Lol  and Like Ross said, I made sure that I tightened it until it wouldnt turn anymore. 

All in all, installed the headers, collectors, retorqued the K member bolts ( replaced the one that was missing), installed the O2 sensor, reinstalled the X pipe, and finally a cross support bar that runs from drivers to passenger side under the bell housing ( structural support).  Feel good at this point, but may install the radiator and lower radiator hose before I put if back on its wheels.  Until tomorrow fellas........
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 05:56:05 PM by cobracammer »
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: June 06, 2016, 08:12:58 AM »
Not really a huge update, but the Radiator is in.  The upper radiator hose has been attached as well as the lower (The lower always gives a little trouble as it shares the same space with the Power Steering pump (in its current configuration).  As I have not manufactured a bracket to hold the OEM power steering pump, I have attached the old one in its place just to keep the fluid from leaking out.  The de-gas bottle (overflow tank) had to be moved from the Passenger side radiator mount to the Driver Side wheel well location.  This had to be done for a few reasons.  First, the aluminum fan shroud I have does not have an attachment point like the stock one does for the tank.  In addition, there is so little room up front, that the coolant line that attaches the de-gas tank to the rest of the system (to a hose barb off of the lower radiator hose) used to have to run behind the water pump (sort of crimping the line).  Finally, the de gas bottle block the location that is needed to use a timing light.  Luckily, there was a makeshift bracket previously used for what I believe was part of the alarm system.  Its in exactly the right place, and although a more beefy bracket should be made from aluminum (or steel), it allowed me to bolt up the degas tank temporarily just to run the lines and get an idea of where it should be placed.  Luckily, its actually mounted a tiny bit higher than the stock location, so it should assist with that pesky overflow problem I was having previously.  Its still not as high as the huge water neck on the intake manifold, but hopefully it will work.

So tonight I will replace the stronger Spal fans with the lower profile Spal fans that originally came on the shroud. I believe that these will cool the engine fine now that its getting oil (LOL) and the headers are now ceramic coated.  By using the lower profile fans, there is no interference with the front of the engine and thus the radiator can stay in its stock location.  If these fans wont cool the engine at this point, the radiator will need to be moved forward a little bit to give clearance for the larger fan motors.

Almost there......  After the shrouds, I will remount the throttle bodies, re-attach all of the EFI Electrical, and get the gauge sensors attached.  Slowly but surely
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: June 07, 2016, 03:07:42 PM »
Not that wiring is fun at all (Because for me it is not!), but I wanted to plan a little ahead for all of the gauges I added to the car given that the stock instrument cluster is not useful.  From what I remember off the top of my head, I purchased an oil pressure gauge, Oil temperature, coolant temp gauge, and a few others I think (4 or 5 total).  I purchased 2 mini bus bars (Common Bus Bar with (2) #10-32 Studs & (5) #8-32 Screws)  in order to access 12V switched power and the dimmer power supply off of the back of the radio a little easier???  It wouldn't be so bad except that I am adding wires to a car already chalk full of excess wires!  What I wouldn't pay to have someone remove all of the wires off of the engine harness that are no longer being utilized  LOL  sooooo many wires...  sooooo many plugs
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: June 07, 2016, 07:20:48 PM »
Ok, swapped out the spal fans back to the smaller ones.  I am really praying these 2 fans will keep it cool.  I have one that constantly runs as soon as the car is on.  The other is controlled by the relay on the efi computer.  Got the fans wired up. And the shroud installed.  Below is a picture of the smaller and larger fans.  Second photo shows the difference in motor size:

Jason

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: June 07, 2016, 09:44:36 PM »
and they say football is a game of inches .