Author Topic: Any nitrous experts?  (Read 1653 times)

bw_kc

• View Profile
Any nitrous experts?
« on: January 24, 2017, 07:08:08 PM »
So per earlier post:       http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=4538.0

I'm installing a FITech EFI (Power Adder) system.  I had nitrous with my 850 Demon running a bypass regulator behind the carb.

So here's my question - given a carburetor was running about 6 psi and the FITech is going to be regulated at 58 psi - should I now use a smaller fuel jet as I've got and extra 58 psi at the nitrous solenoid?  I've sent a message to ZEX but they have not responded. 

Let me know if I'm over thinking this.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Any nitrous experts?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 09:39:48 PM »
At least you will be running on the rich side with the higher fuel pressure.  You would need to reduce the jet size to keep the system tuned the same as it was with the original 6 psi pump, but I don't know how you could calculate what size to go to.  If it was me I'd run a separate fuel pressure regulator off the high pressure line, and feed the original 6 psi into the fuel solenoid.  Then you would be certain that the system would remain tuned.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

cammerfe

• View Profile
Re: Any nitrous experts?
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 11:35:26 PM »
Just an FYI. When I first decided to run ECTA I installed an already-owned ZEX system to go along with my just-installed methanol delivery layout. At the first Maxton meet after the installation, I was having some trouble and was visited in my pit by a guy who was running a VERY professional sprayed, turbo'd truck. He set several records that weekend. He told me, "Do yourself a favor and get rid of the street system before you wreck your engine. He invited me to visit him and see his set-up.

I took his advice and duplicated his nitrous oxide system. The result was that at the next meet I set four records in two classes. The ZEX system is great for stop-light to stop-light. Not so much for serious work.

KS