Author Topic: Question for Joe-JDC and any other Pros who care to chime in---  (Read 6087 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Question for Joe-JDC and any other Pros who care to chime in---
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2020, 08:33:50 AM »
I guess I'm a little confused then. The Bugatti and Koenigsegg records are for "production" vehicles (even though the Bugatti was technically modified for safety reasons, and the Hennessey and SSC are 'claimed', so not official), so what is the purpose of going after them if your car will obviously be modified? I'm not making fun of the attempt you guys are doing, just trying to understand the purpose of it.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

mike7570

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2020, 03:45:42 PM »
I guess I'm a little confused then. The Bugatti and Koenigsegg records are for "production" vehicles (even though the Bugatti was technically modified for safety reasons, and the Hennessey and SSC are 'claimed', so not official), so what is the purpose of going after them if your car will obviously be modified? I'm not making fun of the attempt you guys are doing, just trying to understand the purpose of it.

Having Fun!

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2020, 10:46:36 PM »
It's said that when Craig Breedlove made public his plans for the 'Spirit of america' he was told that the idea was meaningless because it wouldn't fit into an existing class. The SCTA rules of the time required four wheels and drive by two wheels. His idea was actually a tricycle with the drive furnished by a jet engine. He said, "I don't care. If I go faster than anyone else, that's what I'll be known for. They'll have to create a class for me."

Both the Koenigsegg cars and the Bugatti cars are hand built---one at a time, and to the demands of the ultimate purchaser. The ones that set so-called records are the only ones just like them in the world. Exactly the same thing will be said of my Ford GT. I expect it to be a seven figure project.

When I get my car drivable, I'm going to go out and put a couple of thousand road miles on it. Then it'll be brought back into the shop and 'freshened' to include different suspension settings and whatever improvements and alterations we decide to do to the engine. We'll put fresh tires on it and change the fuel in the tanks from race E-85 to methanol and then load it into the trailer to go to Blytheville. We'll have to run it several times to meet licensing requirements since my current license is outdated and not unlimited. We'll go as fast as we can, and then go home and meet with my design team to decide how to go faster. And by that time I'll be racing entirely against myself.

Ultimately I'll bring it home, change the tires again and go over to McDonald's. It'll be the fastest street-driven car in the world. And the only one like it in existence. Just like the Koenigsegg and Bugatti. But I'll have done it in one mile from a standing start instead of a flying mile. And it'll have been done in the USA. :)

KS

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2020, 06:52:20 AM »
Good enough reason for me! ;D
I'd love to see it happen, especially with a Boss 9 style engine. That would be off the scale in the cool factor, only beatable by an SOHC!
I never quite understood the Koenigsegg record attempt. The guy didn't even step in the throttle till he hit 200 mph. With different gearing and a faster approach, I think he would have hit 300 easily. I'm waiting to see if they continue for the record with the Jesko.
https://youtu.be/KD82XB7t8Xo?t=29
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2020, 10:27:19 PM »
FWIW, I first intended to use a Cammer engine, and had had several discussions with Jim Dove as to how to put the engine together. His illness made me shelve the plans. I started all over again with the present project, and the idea of using a B9 configuration was that much more of a change.

The present Chinese difficulty has massively upset my expected timeline. Suppliers are all pretty much on hold, and my own business is in the same sort of 'holding pattern'. But---onward and upward!

KS

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2020, 03:27:36 AM »
The Boss 500 used 460 sized 3" mains, that was about all they were allowed to do. I think that engine is still used in Force's Camaros.

Ken, The street Boss heads and Kaase's race Boss heads are quite different. If 300 is the goal and not a street car the Kaase raised port race heads or the Carrol Carter ones would be a better choice.
 Glen May might have stuff to sell. His engines were probably 3000hp with a 14-71 and alky.