Author Topic: locar shifter  (Read 629 times)

gregaba

• View Profile
locar shifter
« on: August 19, 2023, 02:15:37 PM »
I just ordered a locar electronic shifter to go behind my 6r80 I am installing in my 63 Galaxie.
I am going to use the stock console and was wondering if anyone has done this install before and if you have any tips.
Thanks
Greg

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
Re: locar shifter
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2023, 07:30:51 PM »
What model Lokar shifter did you buy?

I have a Lokar on the 4R70W in my Falcon.  It has the integrated paddle shifter controls.  Not sure that I would go that way again if I had it to do over.  The shifter paddles will control the commanded gear, but doesn't function the same as if you move the lever down to the lower gears.

1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2023, 07:38:57 PM »
I ordered the electronic sport shifter.
I will not be using any paddle shifter if it has it.
I was going to use the stock auto shifter that came with the console but wasn't sure if I could recut the detents correctly.
If it won't work in the 63 I can always use it on one of my other cars.
Greg

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2023, 08:21:56 AM »
The T Handle in my Cougar was not compatible with the new Lokar sport shifter. I suppose with considerable fabrication anything is possible. I did something in the Rat Fink style anyway. As such, I made a plate that allowed me to adjust the position forward/backward. By no means a competition race ready solution. Just a point & shoot car for now.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 09:14:37 AM by Gaugster »
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2023, 08:35:44 AM »
Other tips I have are more typically things. Route the cable with as large a radius as possible. I heat wrapped said cable as it went near to the exhaust.

I'm using the quick 6 controller. No paddle shifters. Just using the manual mode when needed. There is a trans brake option but have not done much research on that.

Interior wise I fabbed an upper console pad. Didn't have the heart to chop up the original. Still working on my shifter boot look.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 09:18:40 AM by Gaugster »

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2023, 11:29:21 AM »
Thanks
Pictures are a big help.
I like where you put your quick 6 controller, I was going to mount mine in the console glove  box.
I think the shifter is going to be a little high by the picture so was thinking I would build a spacer below the console mounting points to raise it up a little and cover the spacer with carpet.
I really hate to lose the factory shifter handle but don't see any around it. I am trying to keep the interior as stock as possible.
I will hook up the trans brake for the 5 or 6 times it will see the track a year.
Thanks again.
Greg 

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2023, 11:54:41 AM »
The Quick 6 has a display. It's what I use as my gear indicator so having it visible is a real plus.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2023, 09:46:51 AM »
I think since mine will just be a more or less a once in a while driver I will just put it in drive and go.
I might have to figure out where to mount the quick 6 where it is visible.
I think I could build an enclosure  to mount on the top front of the console but will have to wait and see what happens when I get it or mount it in the ash tray.
Greg 

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2023, 01:26:43 PM »
Received the shifter this morning and decided to see how much work it was going to be to install.
It looks like the only thing I will have to do is make a mounting plate for it.
It fits the 63 console like it was made for it. The dimensions are almost the same as the stock shifter.
The shifter arm is small enough to fin though the stock shifter plate.
The only thing I am not real happy with is the shifter knob and will try to figure out how to use the 63 knob on it if I can.
Greg