Author Topic: What adhesive to use for glued in door glass?  (Read 2086 times)

68fecyclone

• View Profile
What adhesive to use for glued in door glass?
« on: June 09, 2020, 01:21:58 PM »
   My drivers side door glass has come unglued from the track on my 68 Cyclone. What do you suggest to put it back together. Also whats a good grease to lube the tracks up with. Thanks Rob

gregb

• View Profile
Re: What adhesive to use for glued in door glass?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 01:51:12 PM »
On my 69 Mustang, I cleaned out the channel of old junk, then found some thin rubber sheet that fit in the channel that allowed the window to fit also, and glued it all in with Goop adhesive.   Glue in the channel, rubber, glue on top of the rubber and push the window in.   The thinner you can make the adhesive the better.  I don’t know about the bottom stop that limits the window, On a Mustang it’s a bracket the the window touches.  I removed that and put some hose clamps around the tracks at the lower limit so it rests on the bracket and not the window.  When the factory stop hits the window on the way down it pushes the window out of the track after a while.  By resting it on the bracket it removes that stress.

gregb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 01:51:56 PM »
I did that in 2003 and it’s never come back out.....

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 02:45:55 PM »
Hijacked!

What adhesive to use for gluing a stainless steel 1" x 3" Ford logo namplate to my new door sill plates?

Bought some really cool and meterially strong SS door sill plates for my '70 Stang but the metal Ford tags won't stay on.
Bob Maag

68fecyclone

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 03:30:38 PM »
   Thanks for that info, when I get the door apart will see if thats an option. Rob

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 04:59:47 PM »
Urethane window glue for the track to glass if you never want it to come loose again. There are different versions, but basically the stuff they use on modern windshields to glue them to car. The advantage is there is some flex and it's fairly thick and can be cut with a wire or draw knife to remove just like a windshield.

Other good options for the sill plates are stuff like Plexus expoy. We use a lot of the MA300 and it's pretty good stuff. Modern transit buses are pretty much all held together with the stuff. A lot of panels on semi trucks and dry vans/refers use the stuff. The MA300 will bond dissimilar materials really well. But it is pretty forever installed if properly prepped. A couple years ago I fixed up a 70 K20 Blazer for a friend and found out the hard way NOTHING but the front fenders match a pickup or suburban so I had to make most of the pieces for it. One of the missing pieces was all the hardware to latch the hard top to the body. So I build all my own stuff and glued the new "rails" onto the top with Plexus. He tore the top off it on a tree and the epoxy held!

FElony

68fecyclone

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 05:11:27 AM »
   Thanks guys for the info, I think Felony may have nailed. I will get that adhesive and see if that will fix it. Rob

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2020, 06:12:43 AM »
   Thanks guys for the info, I think Felony may have nailed. I will get that adhesive and see if that will fix it. Rob

You will need a applicator gun and nozzles for that also to properly mix.
Use a couple pieces of rubber to tightly center glass in channel, fill channel about half full with adhesive and push glass in. Make sure channel is parallel with glass or it will bind in regulator.
Woody

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2020, 08:23:55 AM »
Machoneman, I'd use a thin coat of JB Weld for those sill plate emblems. Keep in mind they will be permanent!  :)
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2020, 10:11:56 AM »
Machoneman, I'd use a thin coat of JB Weld for those sill plate emblems. Keep in mind they will be permanent!  :)

Hey, thanks! Will try it as I do hope they will be permanent!
Bob Maag

rockhouse66

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2020, 10:44:20 AM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254267283391

Yes.  That's the stuff for sure.  3M Channel Bonding Adhesive.
Jim

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2020, 01:46:45 AM »
I cleaned out the channel of old junk, then found some thin rubber sheet that fit in the channel that allowed the window to fit also, and glued it all in with Goop adhesive.

I did this on my Fairlane only used silicon. Been there 20 years with no sign of issues.