Author Topic: C6 Selector Shaft Stuck in Neutral  (Read 1253 times)

CV355

• View Profile
C6 Selector Shaft Stuck in Neutral
« on: July 17, 2021, 04:59:15 PM »
Edit - This wound up being a non-issue...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 01:33:24 PM by CV355 »

gregaba

• View Profile
Re: C6 Selector Shaft Stuck in Neutral
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 06:55:27 PM »
I have had it happen to me a couple of times.
First time I droped the pan and didn't find anything wrong so I just used a 1 ft. pipe over the lever and it went in with quite a bit of pressure.
I am not a tranny expert so you might want to call your shop and ask them.
Greg

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 07:22:32 PM »
I have had it happen to me a couple of times.
First time I droped the pan and didn't find anything wrong so I just used a 1 ft. pipe over the lever and it went in with quite a bit of pressure.
I am not a tranny expert so you might want to call your shop and ask them.
Greg

I was tempted to do that.  What could it damage?

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 08:01:51 AM »
It sounds like the shift arm is not properly engaged with the spool valve on the valve body. I'd check with Mr Broader before I did anything drastic.

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 11:54:24 AM »
It sounds like the shift arm is not properly engaged with the spool valve on the valve body. I'd check with Mr Broader before I did anything drastic.

I'm getting in touch with Broader today.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 01:49:30 PM by CV355 »

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 01:49:46 PM »
This wound up being a non-issue.  There was nothing wrong with the transmission at all.  I did something mildly stupid but at least had enough common sense to ask about it before doing something *really* stupid.  Here's a free laugh at my sleep-deprived expense:

Broader did a fantastic job, but I mixed up linkages.  The ISS were different between my old C6 and new C6, new one wouldn't accept an external NSS.  So, I looked for alternatives and opted for a B&M shifter where the NSS and RLS are in the shifter and not on the transmission.  I blame it on lack of sleep, but when I was setting the push/pull cable length, I said "Hey, I should make sure the shifter position matches the transmission position first before connecting anything and adjusting travel."  Shifter was in neutral.  Stupid me, I picked up the (new) kickdown arm and slapped it on to "make sure the transmission was in neutral."  There was never an actual gear selector arm installed on the shaft, and I had a bag of about 10 different arms on the workbench...

Mr Broader sparked my memory when he asked which shaft was stuck.  In a moment of clarity and embarrassment, I went back to the garage, pulled out the new gear selector arm, put it on, click click click just fine.

I removed the original post because I don't want anyone to think there was a problem with Broader Performance, they've been excellent.

Sand hauler

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2021, 05:52:09 PM »
Glad you got it figured out. Broader Performance has always been too notch for me ;D
Bobby-   Carlsbad, NM

winr1

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2021, 09:32:54 PM »
Good all is well

I have had a few moments as such  :)

Ricky.