Author Topic: Who is the "authority" on C6s?  (Read 6380 times)

CV355

• View Profile
Who is the "authority" on C6s?
« on: January 14, 2020, 09:18:50 AM »
While pulling the engine and trans from my '69 Mach 1 this past weekend, we discovered that the transmission case was cracked in 2 places, damage at the tailshaft, and some of the fitting threads were worn thin.  I was planning on sending the transmission to be rebuilt, but these findings make me want to just scrap it.  So, I'll be in the market for a built C6- what company should I be looking at?  I used to use Lentech for 4R70Ws, but they don't work on C6s. 

PATransmissions and TCI are the first that come to mind, but I'd like to know what you guys recommend.  Anybody else I should consider? 

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Who is the "authority" on C6s?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 10:31:12 AM »
I don't know who does C-6s, but I'd like to suggest that you switch to a C-4 instead.  You will pick up quite a bit of power at the rear wheels with that swap, because the C-4 takes a lot less power to run than a C-6.  When I replace the C-6 in my Mach 1 with a C-4, it felt like somebody had released the emergency brake.  Big, big difference.  Performance Automatics makes a good C-4 and the adapter bellhousing for the FE.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 10:32:52 AM »
You might want to let people know what area you are in, since shipping cost could be a concern, and someone might know a good local builder near you. C6’s are pretty easy to rebuild, you may even want to consider doing it yourself. Our member Drew P. put a C6 build post together, I think on Facebook, a while ago, maybe he can link it. In any case, it’s something a competent local builder can do, but I understand they’re getting harder to find, especially on older transmissions.

I haven’t used them to build a transmission ( I do my own ), but Broader Performance seems to have an excellent reputation for Ford automatics. They’re in Texas, here’s a link:

https://broaderperformance.com/

Joel’s on Joy in Michigan has a good reputation on Ford racing automatics, I think they still build the transmissions for the new Cobra Jet Mustangs for Ford, I’m not sure if they do regular rebuilds or not.

Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 10:36:30 AM »
I don't know who does C-6s, but I'd like to suggest that you switch to a C-4 instead.  You will pick up quite a bit of power at the rear wheels with that swap, because the C-4 takes a lot less power to run than a C-6.  When I replace the C-6 in my Mach 1 with a C-4, it felt like somebody had released the emergency brake.  Big, big difference.  Performance Automatics makes a good C-4 and the adapter bellhousing for the FE.

Interesting... I had not considered that!

You might want to let people know what area you are in, since shipping cost could be a concern, and someone might know a good local builder near you. C6’s are pretty easy to rebuild, you may even want to consider doing it yourself. Our member Drew P. put a C6 build post together, I think on Facebook, a while ago, maybe he can link it. In any case, it’s something a competent local builder can do, but I understand they’re getting harder to find, especially on older transmissions.

I haven’t used them to build a transmission ( I do my own ), but Broader Performance seems to have an excellent reputation for Ford automatics. They’re in Texas, here’s a link:

https://broaderperformance.com/

Joel’s on Joy in Michigan has a good reputation on Ford racing automatics, I think they still build the transmissions for the new Cobra Jet Mustangs for Ford, I’m not sure if they do regular rebuilds or not.

I'm in the Greenville SC area.  My C6 would not be re-buildable given the damage to the case, so I'm assuming it'll be far more cost effective to just get a new one.  Someday, I'd like to learn how to service the transmission, but I don't think it's in the cards for this phase.

I appreciate the references!

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 10:37:29 AM »
   Frank Merkle does a good job on C6s.

Gregg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 12:03:06 PM »
I'm very happy with my Broader C-6.  I have a mild street only 390 in a '64 Galaxie.  I went with the wide ratio gear option, stage 4 shift and about 2000 - 2200 stall converter.  I thought about a C-4 or AOD, but for my use I just couldn't justify the cost.

Pentroof

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 07:44:34 PM »
I can’t recommend TCI. I bought a “street rodder” C6 package from them and it has leaked from day 1...and not just a little
Jim

aj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 10:29:03 PM »
+1 for Broader Transmission.  I’ve visited his (Jay’s his name)  shop several times and can attest that he’s a craftsman and builds every tranny himself.  One man show with a very well equipped shop (CNC, tranny dyno, etc).   Focuses primarily on C4 and C6 only.  Good guy.  He’s typically hit his hands in a tranny or dyno so leave message if he doesn’t answer but he’ll call back .
Adrian Jacobs
Weatherford, TX
1970 Shelby GT500 
1970 Boss 302

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 11:03:09 PM »
Jay Broader gets my vote. His .400 Pro Tree C6 valve body is the real deal. I've called him several times when I needed advice with several C6 builds. Super nice guy.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 11:16:55 PM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

338Raptor

• Aerodynamics are for men who can’t build engines.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 01:30:15 AM »
I’ve purchased performance C6 parts from Broader and he’s given me some good advise. All his advise and parts have help up well behind my 900 hp mud truck engine.

I’ll second the “do it yourself” advise. The C6 is easy to build.
ERA 427SC Cobra: Iron ‘67 625hp 482” SOHC, TKX 5 speed, TrueTrac 3.31 IRS, Magnesium Halibrands, Avon CR6ZZ tires. 

1969 Shelby GT350, 4 speed.

1967 Mustang Fastback: Close ratio T56 Magnum, Fab-9, Wilwood superlite brakes, Torque arm rear suspension, TCI-IFS with shock tower delete, (Coming soon, FE motor TBD)

1970 F250 4x4 Mud Truck, 557 BBF, as cast P51 heads, 900 hp @6700rpm, 801 tq, Q16, C6.

2012 Cobra Jet Mustang factory drag car, 5.4 liter 4.0 Whipple, 970 RWHP.

1964 Galaxie 500XL, 35 spline 3.70 Strange S-Trac, 6R80, (Coming soon: Pond Aluminum 525 SOHC, 800hp)

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 08:08:51 AM »
I appreciate all the feedback!  I'll definitely be calling Broader.

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 08:35:27 AM »
I've had a couple of FE C6 cases that were cracked.  Its something to look for when buying one.  Saw one that had been "pre-welded" by the re-builder.

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2020, 08:50:34 AM »
I rebuilt my C6 with the help of Kevin (thatdarncat). I did all the work with Kevin watching and so far it made it through 1 season running high 10's. I took a lot of pictures when disassembling the trans and that helped. My trans had been set up fully rollerised during a previous build so I just made sure my final clearances matched what they were before I disassembled it. My front clutch had been machined to accept a roller bearing so I sent it to Broader and he installed an extra clutch and set the clearance on that for me. I also installed his shift kit and it works great. I definitely would recommend Broader. Jim

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2020, 01:17:31 PM »
I've had a couple of FE C6 cases that were cracked.  Its something to look for when buying one.  Saw one that had been "pre-welded" by the re-builder.

Someone snapped off one of the bolt tabs around the bellhousing, and there was a pronounced crack down near where the tailshaft attaches, but it did not leak (yet).  The guess is that the top bolt was torqued before the rest, and the torquing motion snapped the tab off. 

I've encountered so many head-scratching things while disassembling this car that I can't trust anything without a full disassembly.  The restoration work done by the previous owner was excellent, so the car has a solid foundation.  But, some of the work done by shops was laughable at best, so we're trying to fix it all in one swoop.   

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2020, 10:20:13 PM »
i must have got a good one.i have been trying to tear my c6 up since 1986.my comet was a factory 4 speed car.a buddy talked me into putting a c6 in it in 1984.after a couple years i got to missing my 4 speed so i told everybody i was putting a 4 speed back in as soon as the c6 tears up or starts slipping.36 years and 2 engines later its still shifting and performing like a dream!i bet its done a thousand burnouts and made hundreds of passes and several thousand street miles.i hope it goes out before i die.
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new