Author Topic: Small pilot torque converter  (Read 946 times)

Sand hauler

• View Profile
Small pilot torque converter
« on: May 24, 2021, 03:28:14 PM »
I'm sure it's been discussed before,but when using a and small pilot C6 torque converter on an Fe . Other than the pilot bushing is there anything else that would prevent it's use on an Fe ?
Bobby-   Carlsbad, NM

TomP

• View Profile
Re: Small pilot torque converter
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 07:04:39 PM »
I've seen smallblock C6 convertors used on FE's, a sleeve for the pilot and the four studs may need new holes drilled.

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 07:12:00 PM »
I think some of the small block small pilot torque converters I’ve seen the pilot extends further out from the converter than the typical FE ones do? If that’s the case you have to be careful it doesn’t bottom in the crank and push the crank forward.

Like Tom said, I have seen adapter rings for the difference in pilot diameter, I don’t know if that’s a good idea. If you have a local converter rebuilding company near you they could maybe modify yours to the proper pilot.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

Sand hauler

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 09:17:20 PM »
Thanks, on the ones with the longer pilot, can spacers be used on the bolts,or would that cause it to extend too far into the pump?
Bobby-   Carlsbad, NM

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 03:21:01 PM »
>Like Tom said, I have seen adapter rings for the difference in pilot diameter, I don’t know if that’s a good idea.

I use a machined adapter to adapt a 9" Powerglide 6000 stall converter nose to a Ford crank tail end and .250 spacers to bridge to a 157 tooth SFI flexplate on the dragster.  Standard procedure, adapters readily available - 600 HP no problem. As long as the dimensions are correct it should work perfectly fine.  Same install procedure, make sure the converter has around .062 (1/8") play with the engine and trans bolted up.  If spacers are used - same.  You should have some play to allow for heat expansion when all the plate to converter pieces are in place.  When you tighten up the bolts, you should pull the converter out of full seat in the pump by around .062.  Not too much and damn sure not too little. 
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 03:24:18 PM by Falcon67 »