Author Topic: Rod bolt torque for le mans rod?  (Read 4660 times)

sideoilercat

• View Profile
Rod bolt torque for le mans rod?
« on: April 06, 2015, 10:52:13 PM »
Putting my medium riser together and can't figure what to torque the rod bolts to. I have bolts that I purchased from Ron Miller (Ford Power Parts) back in 1980. These are silver colored thick cap screws with NO washers. Any other old timers like me that have run these?
Thanks.
67 Cougar GT 427 M riser side oiler "ALLEY KAT"
70 Cyclone GT 429 CJ
82 Merc Capri 5.0 bought new

GJCAT427

• View Profile
Re: Rod bolt torque for le mans rod?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 05:17:39 AM »
Running the same ones in my sideoiler  and I have a nos set still in the package. I remember running a tap in the rods to equalize the threads and using the stock torque spec. And yes mine have the washers. I just looks at the new ones and my package doesn`t have the instructions. I think you could get harden washers from McMaster-Carr that are correct. I don`t remember where I put my original instrucions but maybe some one has a copy.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 07:22:22 AM »
I bought a set of those capscrews from FPP back in the day, and mine did come with washers, that had an inside bevel to clear the radius at the bolt head.  I also remember running a tap through the rods to clean up the threads; I think the original threads put in those rods were for some kind of an interference fit.  Don't know why I remember this, but I torqued mine to 65 foot-pounds.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 09:27:21 AM »
The Lemans Rod and Bolt uses a tri lobe thread.
An interference fit and the threads deform when tightened.
A set of ARP bolts and a new high end tap may be a better option today.

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 11:08:09 AM »
Putting my medium riser together and can't figure what to torque the rod bolts to. I have bolts that I purchased from Ron Miller (Ford Power Parts) back in 1980. These are silver colored thick cap screws with NO washers. Any other old timers like me that have run these?
Thanks.

are they SPS bolts? Common back then.

From what I remember without looking it up the stock bolts were 53-58 and as Jay said most others were 65

I also remember them having washers

Make sure the dowels are tight before install. If original dowels they tend to loosen up .

sideoilercat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 11:43:27 AM »
Thanks guys, sorry I failed to mention that this is a redo that I spun a bearing in back in 1982, been sitting in my 67 Cougar since then so the rods were tapped out back before that, I just don't remember what I torqued them to (been 45 years) back in the day. Seems like I remember Ron saying not to use the washers for some reason. Make any sense? By the way the spun bearing was due to lack of oil, the bolts were ok and tight. The rods have now been resized.
Thanks again,
JK.
70 Cyclone GT 429 CJ

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 11:56:12 AM »
I believe I used the washers and yes the original bolts were trilobes. I think Jay is right on the torque spec, Been a while since I built the engine, I have some SPS bolts and some Holbrock bots aswell, both look to be the same as the FPP`s.

TomP

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 07:00:58 PM »
I run those bolts in my engine too. I believe 65 is right.

I thought they were made by ARP back when they were just an unknown aerospace fastener contractor.
Seems to me it was somewhere near Norwalk because i waited in the FPP shop for their driver to go pick them up from the manufacturer.

sideoilercat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 08:00:59 PM »
TomP
Did you use washers? Did we use Moly or oil on the threads back then?
JK.
70 Cyclone GT 429 CJ