Poll

Which of these valve covers would you be interested in?

Pentroof cast aluminum, plain
64 (71.1%)
Pentroof cast aluminum, finned
23 (25.6%)
Neither; prefer valve covers that are already available elsewhere
3 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author Topic: Thinking about casting some valve covers...  (Read 62906 times)

fekbmax

• View Profile
Re: Thinking about casting some valve covers...
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2017, 09:08:58 AM »
We need "FE Power" logo covers. After all it supports the guy actually making them and plainly describes what we all have. Win win in my book.
Oh and still would love some kinda logo decals in various different sizes. 
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2017, 07:07:21 PM »
Funny you should ask about that, Keith, I'm working on a few trial sticker/decal designs.  Will post on that in the next week or so.  Also I will have more info on the valve covers soon...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2017, 07:10:28 PM »
Ya know Mr. Jay, as long as we're on this line of thinking....... there are not enough FE flavored t shirts out there as well as stickers. ::)
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2017, 07:11:36 PM »
Or caps. ::) ::) ::)
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2017, 09:03:53 PM »
Could I get an fepower embroidered teddy for the wife?

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2017, 12:06:36 AM »
You know, I'm just not seeing FE Power as a fashion outlet.  But a teddy...  Hmmmm....    ;D ;D
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2017, 10:50:01 AM »
You know, I'm just not seeing FE Power as a fashion outlet.  But a teddy...  Hmmmm....    ;D ;D

You should at least have some shirts made for your Drag Week posse, and PRI representative's... You know, for advertising.

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2017, 08:00:37 AM »
A shirt like this with A logo across the fron.... no, back... definitely across the back.

Bruce R.

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2017, 08:37:06 AM »
How bout casting some aluminum FE bell housings and water pumps ??
B.W.R.

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2017, 05:39:06 PM »
Baby Bolt did some bells but they didn`t pan out. looked to be a nice repo though.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2017, 10:01:25 PM »
How bout casting some aluminum FE bell housings and water pumps ??

There are lots of sources for aluminum water pumps, Edelbrock comes to mind of course.  On the bells, I'm not sure I'd want to encourage anyone to use one; a clutch explosion is a scary thing without a scattershield...
Jay Brown

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 22, 2017, 07:22:00 PM »
Actually I have one aluminum RC bell housing and bottom cover for sale now.  Its listed here in the vendors section.  I will have to make some more bottom covers soon.  The project is for sale, but if doesn't sale soon I think that the bell housing pattern will be modified and updated to a newer version of the RC bell housing.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #117 on: March 14, 2017, 12:00:09 PM »
My valve cover project is now officially a go; I just wrote the purchase order for the tooling and the patterns are now in process.  I am hoping to have prototypes by the end of April, but that might be a bit of a stretch; we will see.  Production parts should be available in June.  See the link below in the vendor classifieds for information on getting on the list for these parts:

http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=4737.0

You would think that something as simple as a valve cover wouldn't be that difficult to design, but these pentroof covers have angles everywhere and I wanted to get a look at as many different variations of them as I could.  I was able to look at the Cobra LeMans covers, the Blue Thunder covers, and a couple of different styles of Ford pentroof covers, including the ones with the Mercury script on the top (thanks to FERoadster for lending me those).  I also needed to take into consideration the breather styles and locations, the ability to machine fins into the top side, the ability to cut the covers for clearance to the master cylinder or brake booster in some cars, having the ridges on the bottoms of the covers to hold the valve cover gasket in place, etc. etc.  After screwing around with the design for a month or so I finally got a CAD model that I thought would be good; couple pictures of the model are below:

The nightmare of casting these parts is that you spend thousands of dollars on tooling, and then have fitment problems or some other issue that you can't resolve easily.  This happened to me to a minor degree on my intake adapter castings.  The first prototype I got had a thin spot in the casting by the water jacket as it went past a bolt hole.  I had to have the water jacket core box modified to eliminate this issue, which cost me an extra $1800 that I wasn't planning to spend.  I wanted to avoid this kind of hiccup with the valve covers.

Fortunately, I had recently got my 3D printer up and running, after buying it over a year ago (too much stuff to do!).  The perfect solution was to 3D print a copy of the valve cover, up to a height of 2" or so, and test fit it on an engine to make sure it all looked OK.  Here's a couple pictures of my 3D printer printing one of the valve cover models:

(Note:  this print is of the full valve cover.  All the plastic you see in the middle of the print is support for the roof of the cover, since you can't 3D print over air.  This stuff tears away from the final print when it is finished).

The first print was extremely helpful, because I had a typo in one of the dimensions of the model that located one of the bolt holes, and it was off 0.100" from where it should have been.  So, I modified the CAD model and printed another partial valve cover.  I thought I was in pretty good shape at this point, because the bottom of the cover conformed in shape to the Ford valve covers I had on hand.  However, my friend Kevin R pointed out that for people running the Dove end stands, most of the valve covers out there didn't fit.  He offered to bring over his Dove rocker setup for a test fit.  We bolted it on my test engine, and sure enough, the covers were not wide enough at the bottom to accomodate the Dove end stands (these are the ones that bolt to the head bolts).  The end stands actually hang over the valve cover rail just a bit.  I wanted my covers to fit as many different combinations as possible, so I went back to the CAD model and opened up the inside just enough to give 0.050" clearance with the Dove end stands.  There was still plenty of area on the valve cover rail to seal to the covers, so I didn't have any qualms about the design change.

Back to the 3D printer one more time.  This time the cover fit perfectly, even with the Dove end stands.  I sent the valve cover model off to the pattern maker and the foundry for quotes.

I decided to print one more cover, a complete one this time, just to see what the whole thing looked like.  Unfortunately, I ran out of white plastic for the printer about 3/4 of the way through the print, and had to finish it with gray plastic.  Here's some pictures showing that print, and also the other partial cover print:

The partial valve cover print also generated an idea for a certain version of the valve covers.  It wouldn't be too tough to machine the top off the valve covers so that they looked like the partial print, and then put a clear plastic cover on the top, for visibility to the valvetrain.  What do you guys think of that idea?

One other item I would like some feedback on is the breather holes.  For the valve cover versions with breather, I would like to go with a screw-in version.  Blue Thunder has a really nice setup, but they use what appears to be a custom screw-in cap, with 1-1/2" - 12 fine thread.  I can't find a ready made cap with this thread anywhere.  What is available mostly is the 1-1/4" screw-in versions.  Just looking at them side by side, it would be a lot easier to pour oil into the larger hole if you didn't have a funnel handy, but the smaller hole versions are cheap and readily available.  I'm leaning towards those.  What do you guys think?

Thanks for any feedback, and for your interest in this project - Jay 
Jay Brown

feadam

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 14, 2017, 12:55:52 PM »
What do you think the price will be

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile