Poll

Which of these valve covers would you be interested in?

Pentroof cast aluminum, plain
64 (71.1%)
Pentroof cast aluminum, finned
23 (25.6%)
Neither; prefer valve covers that are already available elsewhere
3 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author Topic: Thinking about casting some valve covers...  (Read 62904 times)

Heo

• View Profile
Re: Thinking about casting some valve covers...
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2016, 01:43:51 PM »
my stupidphone refuse to send the other pics Drew

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2016, 01:51:50 PM »
Cars milage 270000 kilometers no leak in 30 years

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2016, 02:04:25 PM »
Not that good pics but its like that trim that used to be put on the
edge of fibreglass parts. So the cover have a straight egde about 1/8"
thick 3/8 high with a ridge on top so you see that the gasket is bottomed
out stay in place with no glue

FElony

« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2016, 02:06:32 PM »
In general the quality of the Ansen product is unimpressive - lots of crackle on the underside and some large flakes that make me a little nervous.

The crackles, as you called them, went away many years ago. I have at least 10 sets of Ansens that have been made within the last dozen years, and all are smooth underneath. I also have vintage sets that have zero integrity issues. I do not understand why you are "nervous". It's not like a valve cover is going to fracture, shear off your brake booster, catapult you into the back of a semi and decap you. If the molecular structure of an engine accessory causes you distress, please stay parked.

No fake news, please. Thank you.

Afraid a flake will separate and fall into the valve train. You have quite an imagination. In any case, glad yours are fine, mine are less than ideal.

Well, if you checked the link I posted you can get new valve covers that say "445" to match your foh-fohtty-fahv, with no flakeses. Or, you can shoot some quality epoxy paint or powder coat under your existing covers to inhibit catastrophic destruction of said engine. No need to spread misinformation about Ansen (you do know that company was sold several years ago to a more modernized outfit, which is why we are seeing many more styles and options now, right?).

As for my imagination, let me tell you a secret, Paul. Not a week goes by that I don't "rewrite" someone's post to make for a more entertaining read, of course taking liberties with reality. The most recent post was the one by Chris mentioning the reason for his hood scoop swap. Bam! Instant multi-paragraph scenario in my head. This is habit for me, as my somewhat zany writings used to have a train-wreck following on four continents in another time and place. The only thing that follows me now is the cat, when he wants his Jack'n'Coke freshened up.

Did you ever see Ken's somewhat dull story about his Galaxie several moons ago? That one I actually outlined on paper into a novella infused with low-key drama and intrigue, without losing sight of the car as the central theme. Well, bad guys are far more interesting than heroes, and I could have made Ken famous worldwide as a Detroit Desperado or such. But noooooo, he got his voluminous undershorts so tightly twisted over me that you could have towed a fishing trawler with it. On dry land. Legacy Lost, Sheffer.

Oh well. I'm not very PC, so I keep as mundane as I can, with the occasional slip-up. After the first of the year, I will be more boring (New Year's resolution) so I can maybe get a little feedback on certain aspects of the Stock Eliminator clone I'm fiddling with, which actually was a legal Stock Eliminator car way back.

Let's keep all this between us, OK? Don't tell anyone.

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2016, 03:35:32 PM »
Jay, I wasn't suggesting a re-pop of the CJ, but a taller version of the CJ to clear the T&D, Jessel, etc., and keep a breather splash shield in place.  I really like the polished CJ/SCJ valve covers, also.  They are the 428 CJ cover of choice for most people I know.  The Ansen site makes the pentroof questionable for selling 50+ sets outside the FE forums.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2016, 04:47:46 PM »
In general the quality of the Ansen product is unimpressive - lots of crackle on the underside and some large flakes that make me a little nervous.

The crackles, as you called them, went away many years ago. I have at least 10 sets of Ansens that have been made within the last dozen years, and all are smooth underneath. I also have vintage sets that have zero integrity issues. I do not understand why you are "nervous". It's not like a valve cover is going to fracture, shear off your brake booster, catapult you into the back of a semi and decap you. If the molecular structure of an engine accessory causes you distress, please stay parked.

No fake news, please. Thank you.

Afraid a flake will separate and fall into the valve train. You have quite an imagination. In any case, glad yours are fine, mine are less than ideal.
Did you ever see Ken's somewhat dull story about his Galaxie several moons ago? That one I actually outlined on paper into a novella infused with low-key drama and intrigue, without losing sight of the car as the central theme. Well, bad guys are far more interesting than heroes, and I could have made Ken famous worldwide as a Detroit Desperado or such. But noooooo, he got his voluminous undershorts so tightly twisted over me that you could have towed a fishing trawler with it. On dry land. Legacy Lost, Sheffer.

I've run a pair of (I think) Cobra Le Mans covers I bought at Columbus with the fins milled off. To get an HD Dove rocker set-up to fit I had to do about ten minutes of work with a rotary file on the inside-ends and re-do the baffle under the oil-fill tube.

felony---
As an arrogant twit and would-be bully you often run your mouth---no, make that your typing finger---until everybody gets tired of it and tells you so. Then you go off in a snit for a while. It's about time for you to do it again.

Ken Sheffer
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 04:53:08 PM by cammerfe »

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2016, 06:14:18 PM »
Im with you on that Joe , i really like the 428 snake covers but too short .. if they were taller i would be running them . Right now is the time to launch em Jay , its the holiday season and we could  buy our own gifts  lol..
69 mach 1 , 428 C J  Blue Oval Performance BBM heads -T@D rocker s- Blue thunder intake - Comp hydr roller - MSD ignition - FPA headers- Holley 850 hp double pumper - TKO 600 - 9 inch 3.89 Detroit Locker . ride tech coil over conversion - power rack @ pinoin steering - 13 inch drilled @ slotted 4 wheel disc brakes ..

FElony

« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2016, 07:13:49 PM »
felony---
As an arrogant twit and would-be bully you often run your mouth---no, make that your typing finger---until everybody gets tired of it and tells you so. Then you go off in a snit for a while. It's about time for you to do it again.

Ken Sheffer

A normal person would have wondered about the story I made. But not you. Probably too involved in that FE project you have going. Oh...wait...

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2016, 07:50:21 PM »
Gentlemen, gentlemen!  A civil tone, please...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2016, 08:01:42 PM »
Gentlemen might be a rather strong term to apply to FElony....but I like him that way 8)

FElony

« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2016, 08:28:49 PM »
Gentlemen might be a rather strong term to apply to FElony....but I like him that way 8)

Yep. Jay was obviously talking to someone else, so I don't gots to be civil, whatever the heck that means.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2016, 08:52:30 PM »
hey Doug Im with you on the baldie valve covers especially with our cars Im running harland sharps with 624 lift and Im not hitting covers. I do know that if I have no gaskets on my covers and I lay them on the head they still dont touch but I would assume its close

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2016, 09:18:26 PM »
I've got sets of Baldy VC's and some 406-427 round tops. I'll have to compare heights.
How would I measure clearance from stock adjustable rockers to round top VC? Clay and measure the remaining depth?
Richard >>> FERoadster

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2016, 09:00:35 AM »
BTW - make them and I will use them...several sets...

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2016, 09:12:47 AM »
No need to spread misinformation about Ansen (you do know that company was sold several years ago to a more modernized outfit, which is why we are seeing many more styles and options now, right?).

Sigh. To be clear, it is not misinformation if it is true. Glad yours are fine, mine are less so. Sorry to have triggered this highjack of Jay's thread.
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.