Poll

Which of these valve covers would you be interested in?

Pentroof cast aluminum, plain
64 (71.1%)
Pentroof cast aluminum, finned
23 (25.6%)
Neither; prefer valve covers that are already available elsewhere
3 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author Topic: Thinking about casting some valve covers...  (Read 62908 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Thinking about casting some valve covers...
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2016, 10:45:23 AM »
Personally, I think baldies are the best looking FE covers, and truest to the 427 image. They would require a taller design though, to clear high lift cams and adjustable rockers. At least I think so. They do seem to sell quickly whenever a nice pair comes up. It would require a little bit of R&D though to determine how well they would work and look with increased height. They also may not be to friendly for threaded holes. Maybe you should consider multiple designs ;D

Multiple designs equals multiple casting patterns, equals multiple dollars  ;D  As initial cost estimates go, mine are usually a little low.  It took me 125 intake adapter sales to recoup the cost of the tooling for those, and I still haven't recouped the cost of the tooling for the timing covers (although I'm close).  I don't mind spending the money on the tooling if I know I can make it back, but the whole situation gets more complex because everyone seems to want something different.  For example in this thread, the different suggestions for topside design or engraving on the valve covers.  I love that kind of stuff, but it tends to muddy the waters from a payback perspective.

It looks like there is enough interest in the pentroofs for me to go forward.  I will put together a list for the pentroof valve covers once I get firm quotes from the foundry and can estimate pricing and delivery time.  When I start the list I will post about it here.  At that time, I may consider the baldies, and will post a thread about that on this forum also.

Thanks to everyone who responded here, or participated in the poll, it is very helpful in determining whether or not I should proceed with this stuff - Jay
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2016, 10:48:24 AM »
Jay, I haven't voted because I'm not sure any of them would fit under my power brake booster (I have a real clearance issue there), but the real question is why dick around with valve covers. You wrote the book on intakes, you have more or less made one, why not make a really good intake?

I am working on some new FE heads and matching intakes, but the design and testing process takes quite a while on that sort of thing.  By comparison, valve covers are easy.  By the way, I would hope to put enough meat in the rear area of the valve cover to be able to machine them to fit under any brake booster.  Do you have a picture of your clearance at the back of the valve cover?  I have a Mustang and a Torino here for clearance measurements, but not a pickup...

After writing I was thinking that you are doing great stuff and all you get are people (like me) telling you what to do.

I've parked my truck in a friend's garage for the winter. I'll grab a picture next time I get down there.

The one think I do like about the Ansen covers is that they don't say anything. I've liked some other covers but they have 427, or Cobra on them and I don't have either. Just "Ford" or the venerable "Powered by Ford" would be nice.
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2016, 11:08:06 AM »
Sort of mimicking what Paul said, I am now using the "Cobra LeMans" version for valve covers because that's what I have and I need the room they provide.   I would switch over to some quality plain pieces, or pieces that said simply "Ford" in a heartbeat.  Sign me up. 
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

BH107

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2016, 11:09:00 AM »
Baldy valve covers would be cool, but I don't know how well it would work if you tried to add a breather hole in them as there is no good flat surface to do it, and personally I think it would ruin the look. If you could do a baldy with no hole I would definitely be in for a couple of sets.

BH107

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2016, 11:12:08 AM »
Drew, studs don't work well with shock tower cars with brake boosters and especially with tower braces.

Ahhhh thanks for clearing that up, I didn't think about that.  I forget the plight of the shock tower people that want assist with the brakes.  I get spoiled by my 63 galaxie and 76 f100..... 

What do you consider high lift tho?  My cam is .600 lift with POP rocker stands/endstands and there is plenty of room.  I've seen a few racers that run tbird baldies with much bigger cams and no issue.  (white trash fairlane comes to mind)

The baldy covers have more room simply because of the shape, and no breather/baffle to worry about hitting.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2016, 11:44:58 AM »
After writing I was thinking that you are doing great stuff and all you get are people (like me) telling you what to do.

The one think I do like about the Ansen covers is that they don't say anything. I've liked some other covers but they have 427, or Cobra on them and I don't have either. Just "Ford" or the venerable "Powered by Ford" would be nice.

Hey, it's the internet.  Everybody has their opinion about the right thing is to do, and are not shy about saying it.  It's all pretty much expected, and I'm not offended by it in the least.  Some good ideas come from that stuff.

I also agree with you on the no-name issue.  I would figure on casting or machining the FE Power logo on the underside of the valve covers, while leaving the top side blank (or machining in some specific markings as described earlier).

Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2016, 11:50:24 AM »
Multiple designs equals multiple casting patterns, equals multiple dollars  ;D

Yeah, but it's not my money, so... ;D

What do you consider high lift tho?  My cam is .600 lift with POP rocker stands/endstands and there is plenty of room.  I've seen a few racers that run tbird baldies with much bigger cams and no issue.  (white trash fairlane comes to mind)

I honestly don't know how much lift those types of covers can handle with adjustables. I think the most I've ever ran with early covers and endstands was around .650. Much would depend on the end stand design, I'm sure.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2016, 11:53:18 AM »
About the Valve cover gasket.  I don't know if you have seen the
Valve cover on a Mercedes.  A u- profile molded rubber gasket gasket
that you put over the edge of the cover.  The edge goes straight down
so the gasket cant blow out.  Not even on a old worn out Diesel that
blow your hat of if you open the oil filler cap with it running.
 Stays in place,  no leak never, Last as long  as the rest of the car ,
I can post pictures of one if You are interested

Cant use it without change the lover edge of the cover some but doable
just some different machining
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 11:58:19 AM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2016, 12:18:36 PM »
I'd like to see it Heo.

this is the gasket I was talking about:  https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-93108/overview/
I lovem.

Hey, it's the internet.  Everybody has their opinion about the right thing is to do, and are not shy about saying it.  It's all pretty much expected, and I'm not offended by it in the least.  Some good ideas come from that stuff.
More ideas=more better.  That said, I *think* Jay knows that we all really appreciate his efforts in everything he's done, be it intake books, adapters, etc.   (btw, I'm sure many of us still want to buy 1 or 2 clear valve covers).
I'm just excited about this, the biggest annoyance with building an FE is having an idea in your mind of the build and waiting years to collect the parts simply because of availability.  Just try to buy a dozen 2x4 BT MR intakes and see what happens :)  I don't know that I could handle explaining this to customers over and over, much credit to Brent/Blair/Barry et el.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2016, 12:56:13 PM »
I go out in the garage an take some photos  i have 500 v8 there

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2016, 01:09:27 PM »
my Baldies I run a 1/2 inch spacer to clear Dove end stands .... but everybody wants something different , lol .... I was wanting to be able to plumb my pan evacuation set up back again , I can't with the original Baldies without cutting and welding thin old metal yet still would like to run that set up

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2016, 01:25:29 PM »
Here you go drew The prifile of the gasket

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2016, 01:28:13 PM »
The valve cover

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2016, 01:31:47 PM »
Vc

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2016, 01:39:29 PM »
I'm kind of late to the discussion, but I am interested in valve covers myself, just like intake manifolds, I have a collection... sort of, but still looking for the "right" one, and have yet to find them LOL. I think there are a lot of (finned) pent roof cast covers out there available and new as well, just look on EBAY. I do agree that a plain cast doesn't seem to be available, so that would be more desirable than with fins.

I like the pent roof look, but sure don't like the super tall outer edge in a shock tower car. It just makes pulling plugs a pain, and is not needed for any clearance under/inside the cover for rockers etc. I am changing to a high riser top end soon and that makes the valve cover (angle) lay over even farther out and reduce the clearance to the tower even more, plus I will have a 3/8 spacer under the cover at the flange. I have notched my towers and do not run power brakes, so I have some room, but not as much as I would like (with pent roofs). Since I have a collection of valve covers I have had many on there, there is a difference. I even had one style on each side of my engine at one race and people thought I was crazy!!

I might be interested in a baldie version, but that doesn't sound like it will happen. Maybe we need a whole new design/shape... that has some of both maybe? i have seen a billet version, that was somewhat like a pent roof, only the outer edge was rounded more for more clearance. That would be a plus. For sure it needs to look like a FE cover and resemble the classic look, but maybe some tweak here and there would knock it out of the park.

I'll try to find a picture of the shape I was referring to. I appreciate your efforts Jay, I know it is hard to please everyone. Thanks for putting up with my goofy requests on the HR  adapters I bought, they came out really nice.
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior