Author Topic: Cam degreeing  (Read 2605 times)

Stangman

• View Profile
Re: Cam degreeing
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2021, 04:32:23 PM »
I did buy the dumbbell lifters that you were selling. I believe they were morels. I don’t know if they are tool steel.Do you still go through the take center springs out ordeal.

Thanks Yellow Truck I will degree it if I get a new cam. To me there’s nothing worse than having to take stuff apart after you carefully put everything together neatly.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 04:34:41 PM by Stangman »

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2021, 04:35:25 PM »
I did buy the dumbbell lifters that you were selling. I believe they were morels. I don’t know if they are tool steel.Do you still go through the take center springs out ordeal.

Thanks Yellow Truck I will degree it if I get a new cam. To me there’s nothing worse than having to take stuff apart after you carefully put everything together neatly.

Those are not tool steel.  Yes, I still do a careful break-in, even with the nitrided cams and tool steel lifters.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2021, 04:50:22 PM »
Ok great thank you guys.

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2021, 05:49:48 PM »

At least I learned how to degree a cam. What I'd rather not have learned was how to remove an oil pan and reinstall it in the truck.
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2021, 06:04:25 PM »

At least I learned how to degree a cam. What I'd rather not have learned was how to remove an oil pan and reinstall it in the truck.

That's funny....

I will say, when you get off a dyno or a race track though, don't underestimate the difference in 4 degrees of cam timing.  4.56 gears and a loose converter, a little here or there doesn't matter, but if part throttle shifting in the torque curve like we do when going easy in a cruiser or a pickup....104 vs 108 ICL vs 112 is very noticeable, and depending on the combo might be right in either direction. 

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch